• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

The only leaders I use are metal to prevent pike bite-offs. Don't use these much on jigs so lose a lot to pike. I use 4-6-8 lb hi-vis line. Size just depends on which rod and reel. I like the light line for small jigs, the 8 lb for crankbaits or heavy jigs and spoons.

On my baitcasters I usually use hi-vis braid. Use that for BIG cranks and sometimes spoons.

Fishing was good today. The three of us got close to a hundred total. Mostly good fish but some bottom feeders and slimmers mixed in.

Rainy2013-6-3.jpg

Temp Canadian side was between 56-60 Thursday thru Sunday of last week.

Rebecca Island/Woodchuck area was the coldest at 56-57 during this time. West towards Turkey and into NW bay it warmed up close to 60.

Smallmouth activity was fast and furious. Walleye in my opinion the best possible time to be up there for larger ones this spring will be this next week. Post spawn activity, if you believe in that as I do should be complete. Per example Wed night thru Friday night our group of 2 boats saw no Walleye over 20. Saturday we hit 5 over 25 biggest 28. Same exact weather whole time.

We'll be fishing the NW bay mostly. We've been going to the same place for a bout 6 years now and have our fishing spots pretty well defined, but the water temps aren't usually this low.

I'm expecting to find fish hanging out in shallower spots, but I'm sure that some searching will be required. I am hoping that the big pike will be hanging out in a few of the usual locations. I'll be keeping a fly rod ready for them smile

Zanz - That's awesome. We have had weather like this once before, but that was earlier in May, and the size structure was outstanding. We had a tough time finding any fish small enough for lunch. We resorted to slimers once, which is OK still. I've my boxes ready to go and waiting in the garage for tonight. Tomorrow at this time, I should be pulling in fish grin

Got a bunch today throwing Lunker City Ribsters in shallow water.

Click here to see short video -->>>

Rainy2013-6-6.jpg

Awesome videos Capt John!

Just curious if your swimming the Lunker City Ribsters or jigging them off the bottom?

Also, I'll be up on Rainy a week from today. Could you point me in a general direction to get started on active smallies? i.e. NW Bay, Woodchuck, Little Canoe, Seine, Redgut, etc? Not sure what the water temps are yet. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.

Thanks for getting me fired up!

Mostly jigging em but they both swim well. The plain one has a very slight cup to the tail and it vibrates like mad on the swim but you have to look close to see it since it only moves about 1/8 inch back and forth. Swimmin Ribster has a great rolling motion (plus tail wag) on 1/16 oz jig head. The heavier the jig the less roll.

Back home after a 3 day visit with my old fishing buddy. You can probably figure out this isn't Rainy. I ate one walleye and released all the rest. Pretty much steady action the whole time. Tons of small pike but a few big ones as well. Huge white bass. Got about 5-10 walleyes every day but saw many big ones in shallow water that wouldn't bite.

Click to see Fishing with Herb --->>

DevilsLake2013-6-11.jpg

Fishing was slow on Rainy this Friday. I got 35 in eight hours. Mostly bass but a couple nice walleyes. Bass were very fussy and I had to go to a 1/16 jig head on my soft plastics. Some were deep, others shallow.

Might go this afternoon or tomorrow. Want to hit the Preserves which have been closed till June 15.

Rainy2013-6-14.jpg

Big girls have finally come out to play. I did not catch a bunch this afternoon but the average size was the best I have seen all year. Almost stayed home but the weather improved so I squeezed in nearly six hours fishing. Got a few on cranks but most on soft plastics. Tried surface lures too but no luck.

Rainy2013-6-17.jpg

Lots of algae in my best spot and no fish. Still found some by end of day. Crappie looks to be in spawning colors.

Rainy2013-6-18.jpg

Stayed worm Thursday night and bass were hitting surface lures Friday. Doesn't get any better than that. No pesky bottom feeders to put up with. Did try jigs for awhile but mostly toothy critters on those.

Rainy2013-6-21.jpg

My fishing buddy and fellow vintage lure collector Alan was up fishing with me Monday & Tuesday. He wanted some fillets to take home so I suggested we try for crappie since you are only allowed one walleye on the Canadian side of lake.

Monday fishing was good with action from all species. Mayflies started hatching Monday afternoon. Tuesday we roasted for 11 hours without little action so quit early.

Topwaters for bass, pike on spinners. Everything hitting soft plastics.

Rainy2013-6-24.jpg

Hey Cap,

Can you provide any insight as what was working for the crappies looking for general info?

Well they are shallow and I think spawning based on their dark color. We got them with several presentations. Soft plastics on 1/16 jig head best. But small spinners and jig & bobber also worked. Try slow trolling tiny crank baits while searching.

Golden bear at the No Fishing sign.

short bear video

Fishing has been slow Sunday-Tuesday but still got a few. Topwaters working early in day. Sun just too hot for me to stay till dark.

Rainy2013-6-30.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my trip to KC antique lure convention. Couldn't catch any good fish today but did get some bottom feeders and slimers. Biggest fish on cranks in less than 10 feet of water. Best bite BEFORE the wind came up - don't need no stinkin walleye chop. Still seeing several mayfly shells on the surface.

I did catch one eater which I plan on for lunch tomorrow.

Rainy2013-7-15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on the Mayfly hatch as of late? Heading up Sat. for a week at Sha Sha. How about a report since the weather has cooled down? Heard Rainy has been getting some serious rain...5+"?

Mayflies still hatching some Wednesday - makes NO difference to the bite. Some very good fishing back when they were hatching heavy. Cool weather has probably stopped that hatch.

Fishing slowed way down for me last few days. Big walleyes seem to have left the reefs for most part.

Coming up Thursday with a group of guys for my bachelor party. Most time will be spent fishing. Is there any kind of structure or a place you could send us to for a start.

Hi. I'm a southern MN fisherman, never been to Rainy, wondering if you have any new reports for Rainy Lake? I will be launching this Thursday with my family, looking for any easy tactics for young kids to succesfully catch some fish...their really finicky down here right now. Thanks!

You say the big walleyes have left the reefs? Do they move to the shorelines or suspend with the cisco schools? Will be up after the eyes next week on the MN side!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, guess I will report myself. Went up on the 8-8-13 through 8-11-13. Not much fishing on the 8th, we were catching small perch near the houseboat. Moved the morning of the 9th, then took out my mom, we caught 9 eyes in 30 mins, only 4 keepers between us, nothing bigger than 18". Went out later that evening and got the kids catching some, with my older son (11)also catching a 2# sucker. The 10th was sunny and calm, talked to a National park ranger that came by, he said no one was catching anything, he was even surprised we did OK the day before. Went out for the sunset bite and caught a few. Left the next morning in a rainstorm. Fishing was generally OK, had the best luck on a 25'-28' reef in Saginaw bay. No smallies or pike follows from near the houseboat, only casted for 30 mins though.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing still slow for me, but weather HOT.

Got about a dozen eaters yesterday, couple pike and one bass. Marked a ton of fish on one reef in evening but the ones I caught were all 15-18". Guess I will pound the banks next time. Bass guys did well in the I.Falls tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the MN side yesterday for four hours. Left from the Park and never thought I would see so many boats after Labor Day. My buddy and I speed trolled for big pike first two hours - zip, notta. Marked zero fish over several miles of water. Tried some reefs (if we could find one without other boats) - nothing. Finally tried some shoreline and weeds. One dink pike and two bass.

We trolled all the way from the Park to the east end of Dryweed. Then went to American Narrows. Marked two fish the entire trip! Do not trust your chip on south end of American Narrows. My chip says 25 feet and almost hit a rock. Maybe the newer chips have better info.

Did better on Canadian side a few days earlier. About a dozen eaters and one 25" walleye on humps.