• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Road Hunting Rules and Regulations????????

tbreuhl

Does anyone know of a good resource so I know the rules and regs of hunting on a road? We got bored and did a little road hunting this afternoon. We came to a crossing with a 10 pointer standing broadside to 4 trucks with 8 guns and none of use knew what the rules were so we we got to watch it walk away and live another day!!!! Please help so this doesn't happen again!!!!! frown.gif

[Note from admin: here is the answer provided by Basscatcher Further down on this thread]

From the 2006 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook:

Quote:

No person may discharge a firearm or an arrow from a bow on, over, across, or within the right-of-way of an improved public highway (including but not limited to federal, state, county and township roadways) at a big game animal or a decoy of a big game animal that has been set out by a licensed peace officer.

You might want to check the DNR web site for complete rules, but I think you cannot hunt anything on a state mantained or a county mantained road, I believe 6 ft on each ditch side is also illegal. Some more expert will pitch in soon.

I called the DNR on this very question a couple years back for duck and pheasant hunting. They said that you could hunt county and township road right-of-ways, but had to be 500? feet from a state road. FYI- Road right-of-ways usually extend beyond the pavement or gravel surface of the road, and vary in width depending on the road. Usually the rule of thumb is that the right-of-way includes the ditch as well. And remember that other hunting regulations apply...like being 500 feet away from homes and livestock, and I believe the distance from a vehicle varies depending on the kind of hunting. For grouse it's 20 yards. Hope this helps.

I don't road hunt and don't know the rules, but I thought that you could not shoot big game (ie deer) in or from a right of way

I have no opinion or comment or road hunting but I found this quote rather amusing..... grin.gif

A true sportsman picks a nice tree puts a stand in it and sits for hours..... grin.gif

From the 2006 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook:

Quote:

No person may discharge a firearm or an arrow from a bow on, over, across, or within the right-of-way of an improved public highway (including but not limited to federal, state, county and township roadways) at a big game animal or a decoy of a big game animal that has been set out by a licensed peace officer.

At about 7:00 o'clock Saturday morning, I had 5 trucks circling the section I was sitting in. Now consider, its all picked fields except the 80 acres of CRP that my mother owns and no one else has permission to hunt but us. They were chasing around the section running a small 5 point buck who they chased within about 20 yards of me. Fortunately after I let him stand in front of me and rest, he just walked about 75 yards into my grass and laid down to rest where these slobs couldn't get to him. I just wish I'd have brought my Cell phone to the stand so I could have called the sheriff to come arrest these scum road hunters... It is illegal to chase deer with trucks!!!

I guess it is a forgone conclusion that at sometime a guy needs to get out of his truck and shot a deer. So rather than call it "road hunting" you should be asking, just how long do I have to walk from the truck should I see a deer on land I have no permission to hunt to shoot it?

Road hunting is unsafe, you have no idea how deep the woods is and perhaps a farmyard full of cattle or children is right on the other side, not to mention another hunter waiting for you to move so he could harvest the deer legally.

road hunting makes us all look fat, dumb and lazy. Perhaps a shooting preserve would fit you better, but I doubt a road hunter would commit the funds if they can't commit free time or energy.

Road hunting is not effective. Let's say you are driving in a public area where it is ok to hunt. You see a deer, stop, get out, get your gunout and load it, walk off the road and then proceed to shoot. I guess that would be legal but I doubt many deer will wait that long. I really couldn't tell you since I have never done it.

Road hunting is unethical. Aside from the danger you put your fellow hunters in, as well as the general public, could you ever be proud of that deer you shot from the side of the road?

Shooting from the road is certainly illegal. Shooting outside the road right-of-way is perfectly legal, however there won't be a deer that stands there long enough for a person to park, get out, take gun out of case, load up, walk down through the ditch, maybe cross a fenceline, stand out in the field then shoot....the deer will be gone before you get that chance.

However, road hunting IMO can have different meanings. Driving around looking for deer out in a section, out in a waterway, standing along a fenceline, etc. is certainly ethical. Many times that's how our group hunts. We'll drive around in the morning looking for deer in a section, meet back at my grandparents farm, discuss what deer we saw and where, then come up with a plan to hunt the land, provided we have permission to hunt it. I don't see anything wrong with this method of "road hunting". It's very similar to any other type of hunting where you locate deer, devise a plan to hunt the deer, then go out and do it. It's a thought-out way to hunt deer. And it's a much safer option to discuss it and come up with a plan rather than locking up the brakes, jumping out, running down the ditch and firing off lob shots, etc. We take time to drive the section, look at the options where deer might go, talk about where people will be, talk about safe shooting lanes, etc.

I know what lawdog is talking about as I've seen that type of behavior all too often in the past. Many times these guys will run down a deer that is running along side or coming to a road, hop out, shoot from the road, drive down the ditch, throw the deer in the back of the truck and scream out of there before someone can confront them about it. Other times I've seen trucks driving along waterways and up into groves that have dirt roads leading into them, in hopes of jumping up deer. I've always let it slide in the past, but this year I've got the TIP number programmed into my cell phone.

I am sorry but the blasts against has to be answered on behalf of some folks...

First off I do not road hunt

Second that in some cases that is all some folks can do. For example my father who had several major heart operations and blood issues. He could not sit in vehicle for long nor could he sit outside in the cold for long so we would get permission for several large fields and farms

for him to "patrol" and hunt. Yes he did have a vehicle permit.

Another gent who is 75 + also has mobility and physical issues also with a medical permit.

Who wants to be the one to have told or tell these guys that they can no longer hunt and be with their family and friends. Something they have done for over 60 years. We expired all other options but I will never forget being out there with them. Seeing the smiles on their faces them being the first out the door. Watching the young kids learn from older guys that have been there done that.

Please think before you assume all road hunters are slobs maybe you don't know the whole story....

bd

I doubt anyone on here has any problem with a disabled individual hunting from a vehicle. I've never heard anyone say they do. I don't think that's even close to what this thread is about...

All I saw was a guy asking for clarification on a law and response degenerate into a attack on road hunting.

Nor did I see anyone clarify that issue. There are circumstances and conditions where it is a viable and acceptable method of hunting.

Yes there are some that abuse however to make blanket assertions that all road huters are "scum" or "unethical" or "unsportsmenlike" is also inappropriate. It does lead to misrepresentation of the issues for folks that may not otherwise know or be aware the reality of things. In example medical or physical limitations, special needs, farmers out checking stock property or equipment, some folks just drive around wearing orange doing everyday things just because it is safer to do so or even out scouting.

I have also driven around during gun season checking state land with my kids just to see whats up and let them see some truly large whitetails from the comfort and safety of a heated vehicle. You just don't know the circumstances. Just because you see folks in orange out driving around does not make them road hunters.

I do not condone healthy folks just driving around and blazing away at animals nor do I think it should be tolerated.

Lets stick to the questions is it legal to road hunt. In some circumstances yes with the appropriate licenses, permits and roadways. Otherwise no. If in doubt contact the DNR for clarification for a final and correct answer rather then the opinion of folks who may have bad information or interpret it different then the CO's, local law enforcement, County prosecutors, and DNR policy makers.

Just my .02 have a great season and be safe.

bd

Quote:

We got bored and did a little road hunting this afternoon. We came to a crossing with a 10 pointer standing broadside to 4 trucks with 8 guns and none of use knew what the rules were so we we got to watch it walk away and live another day!!!!

BD, this doesn't sound like a special permit case to me. I understand the special permit cases, my brother had a broken leg from and accident and hunted from the cab of a truck one year. we just put him in fields and let him sit. We didn't drive around looking for deer to shoot. He even got one while sitting on the tailgate. I know that the guy only wanted clarification but you can't come on here with that question and not expect the type of answers you got. The problem is, that there are way more unethical, and unsportsmanlike roadhunters than their are those that have to raod hunt because of medical conditions. But then again, maybe it was take a patient hunting day and thats why there were 8 guns and 4 trucks, maybe they all had the permits grin.gif.

I beieve that many of the people on here have been honest and answering his question. I know that where I live, there is no way I could get out, uncase, load up, cross the ditch and shoot a deer, it would be long gone. Road hunting as written in the regulation and as most people stereotype is illegal. Unless, like db said, you have the special permits, or as stated previously, you are scouting. By the way, when you drive around looking for sections to hunt, do you have intent to shoot a deer while driving? If so, thats road hunting.