• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Dances with Walleye

GPS/Finder Reccomendations

Question

Dances with Walleye

Over the course of the next 12 months a lot is going to be changing in my life... Getting married, buying an SUV, buying a home etc...

One thing that I really want to get is a GPS-Combo Depth finder... For next spring.

My boat is a 2006 Tracker ProGuide V-16.

I currently just have a simple Lowrance X-25, which isn't getting the job done.

So money is tight, but I'm bound and determined on this one, and I know if I start saving now, I should be able to buy something and have it installed in April.

I'm planning to put the X-25 upfront so the guy running the trolling motor knows the depth without the guy in the back having to read it off periodically etc...

Now my needs are pretty simple... I don't fish a lot of known waters... With the 6-7 lakes I currently fish, I pretty much know the hot spots. (With the exception of Mille Lacs... Where I'm a bit of a rookie.

However some of the lakes I fish at night have lowland slews, points, small islands, rock bars etc... And a couple of high powered flash lights aren't enough to give me confidence fishing them with the hammer down...

And it kind of sucks to just putter 3 miles in the dark.

Hence the need for the GPS...

I don't really know that I need the Lake Master chip...

I'm wondering if you guys have any reccommendations on a simple GPS unit, that also serves as an acurate fish finder.

One that I can detach from the boat pop batteries in and use as a hand held unit (If there is such a creature) would be a bonus.

I'm just looking for some "Barometer" info, so I don't go into a store and get "Sold On Something."

Thanks Bros!

1 answer to this question

caseymcq

I have two Lowrance LCX 15mt's they are great units. Bigger screen so really easy to read especially if I am using the split screen (GPS/Fishfinder) mode. If you can find them they are realitively cheap. They take the LakeMaster Chip which once I used it I fell in love with it.

You said you are looking for something that you could use "hanheld." The 15 might be a little big for that but there is the LMS 480. It is a "normal" sized unit and has similar features. That might be a unit that would work for you.