• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

there right here!

SS 9 IRON

Was out Friday jiggin with fatheads. I put out just north of the 94 bridge-Wisconsin side. Much cheaper to launch there than other spots in that area...Worked the big drop off south of the 94 bridge (before the first green buoy on the Minnesota side). My GPS has got the lakemasters chip and it's failry accurate. It also helps me stay on the main breaks. Anyow, took to jiggin and put a couple of sauger in the boat. Missed quite a few fish. The wind was strong and my fingers were cold (I know, Im just making excuses). I was chatting with a few of the other anglers and the consensus was the bite was slow. I came up next to a whole line of anglers jiggin the structure. A fellow member of our little chat room asked if I post on this site. I introduced myself as ss 9 iron. He responded in kind and as he was about to leave he pointed straight down and very deliberatly and slowly mouthed "THERE RIGHT HERE" He was kind enough to put me right on top of the fish...I was very pleased with my good fortune. Thanks man...

cool.gif I would like to report that I limited out and had a fat and happy meal of tasty Walley that evening but it was not to be. How I screwed it up I don't know. Shortly after our man pointed directly to the "spot" the wind blew in some other anglers before I had a chance to get in. AH MAN! A gentleman and his wife (very pleasant couple)moved right on top of the "spot" and stared nailing em. One right after the other, all Walley's all PERFECT keepers-16-19 inches. All told they floated out of there with 10 fish (give or take..who's really counting). Other boats moved in of course and other anglers were fortunate to catch a few. Me...Mua. the kid...did any golden fillets make it to the dinner plate.

No. snubbed once again. I was using plain jig heads and boat control was tuff. The above mentioned couple was fishing out of a tiller with a 8horse kicker- his back trolling/drift was precise and controlled. My hats off to them they made it look easy plus they were having a blast. I was almost in tears with frustration. I was on the spot, I was next to people catching fish and yet no love....

confused.gif , Well that was Friday. I was out Saturday and limited out on Sauger, one really nice smallmouth, two sturgeon and a few sheephead. No eye's but I'm not complaining. I did buy some gold and green jig heads and it seemed to help. I might make it out one more time before the rig goes into storage. It's been a great year and I've learned a lot. I'm amused how tricky this thing called fishing can be. I'll toss and turn for months knowing I was right on top of em and couldn't get em to bite. Plus the sheer AGONY of watching other's catch fish "at will" knowing only minutes earlier I was specifically directed to that exact spot by a fellow member. My girfriend was amused by the whole thing. Her new pet name for me is "pansy of a fisherman"...WEll that's all I got. See you guys next season and thanks to all who post and share there experience fishing this great river...

much love

9 iron.

SS you crack me up! I love your posts! The reason, I think, is cause I've been there too. A few short years ago, I made a decision to learn that "silly river fishing" and never new how much fun (and how frustrating) it could be. I gotta tell ya, the best is yet to come for pure numbers..if you can hold off on the boat storage thing? I truly have had 50-75 fish days. I rarely find myself on a lake anymore as I've fallen in love with the beauty of the Croix & the Mississippi. I tell you what, this site, as well as a couple others I frequent, will definately help with the learning curve but NOTHING beats time on the water. Sometimes not even fishing...sometimes just observing...Hmmm Make mental notes, and start keeping a small journal onboard. If your memory is anything like mine, it sure helps going back and seeing what was working (and where) come next year. Hope to see you sometime on the river...take care and keep watching this site for updates on the remainder of the river season!

Cbreeze cool.gif

I feel your pain also. I have had times too where others were catching and I wasn't, very frustrating. The good thing is you can usually learn something even if you don't catch fish. Knowing is half the battle.

been in the 'same boat' too many times in the last two years!!! One thing I picked up this year that has seemed to help is summed up in "Lighten Up" - go with the lightest possible jig that will keep you vertical and in contact with the bottom. Also, I've noticed the walleye bite is quite 'light' - to be honest, I can barely feel the bite, if I even do feel it. thus, "lighten up" on the line and your grip on the pole. What I have found is that after a few lift-drops of the jig, I'll pause the jig just off the bottom. Then, on the next lift, it may feel 'heavy' - THAT'S A FISH! Give'r a good set-lift...

I can't tell you how many walleye I've missed by hesitating to set the hook when the line feels "heavy". Saugers, it seems, give you a bit more time but if a walleye feels a slight pull on the jig, they'll spit it out before you can think twice about whether that might be a bite or not.

Now, I'm certainly not an experienced walleye fisherman but these are my observations... I'd love to hear from the some true river-rats if I'm on track or not...

Yep!, spit out faster then a tequila shot at a sorority mixer if they feel you first. I agree!

Tunrevir~ laugh.gif

StCroixNewB, You are right on as far as the bite using a jig, I've found that if you are missing fish because they picked up and spit it out, try snap jiggin, sort of snap the jig up off the bottom and slowly guide it back down, most of the time its hit on the fall and when you snap it back up its fish on! grin.gif