• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Lund 2010 Guide Series

Chris Haley

Has anybody checked one of these out yet? I test drove one a couple of weeks ago. They said it does 52mph. Well, I could only get 51.4mph according to the gps. This was with 2 of us and a full tank of gas though.

The salesman tells me at 50mph "let go of the handle" Are you friggen nuts!!! I said. Well I finally did it and holy cow, she just kept going straight down the lake. The hole shot was amazing also. Talk about setting you back in your seat.

Anyway, I'm getting one in February.

A standard package at my local marine dealer, which is: Boat, motor, trailer, Minn-kota trolling motor, Lowrance X-17 depth finder, is $30,000.

one more question, i see the boat has a ton of storage, is any of it water tight?, and i think a Yamaha is still an option if its rigged at local dealership? i might be wrong tho

Not standard, but the merc 175 opti is a pretty good motor. Easier on the gas than normal 2 strokes and VERY quiet. It even ideled down to 1.4mph on a calm lake, making it a great trolling motor.

No storage is water tight. But it is much better than my Yar-Craft!!! The design looked as though it would stand up to most conditions.

As far as the motors go. Lund is affiliated with Merc. They come with a merc and the dealer must account for those motors. You have to have the dealer take the merc off, and replace with the Yami. You would then have to sell your merc. Anything can be done for the right price. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I have a call into my dealer to see if you can buy the boat without the motor and then take to another dealer for the Yami.

true on the storage, i just thought maybe they would make 1 spot to keep something dry, i have a Alaskan and thats my only complaint, Looks like a nice boat good luck with it

Since Lund and Mercury are the same company you can be sure that you will be paying a premium to hang a Yammy on the back!

Lund sales have dropped considerably since they have gone Merc pre rig and they have terminated a bunch of dealers this past summer.

Lund is no longer the company that it was for many years and it remains to see if Brunswick will take a Bayliner marketing approach with them. Bayliner builds a boat to sell at a price point. And we all know in our hearts that the only way to make something cheaper is by making it cheaper.

Ya Lund lost a lot of credibility with me when they did this Mercury or "pay a price" B.S.! If this doesnt get taken care of in the next few years I and several thousand others will no longer be buying Lunds Im sure. I hate when companies pre rig and then charge a person to vary away from it. Right Tracker?

Looks like Alumacraft and Chrestliner sales will be going up soon. Maybe Ill buy some stock in them.

I've been boat shopping and the dealer tells me that I can order a Lund with Yamaha factory rigging.

all of this i did not know, pretty much sucks because IMO you can not beat a Yamaha Motor, and i was thinking of getting the NEW Lund Alaskan 20 DC but now maybe not, stick with what i have

Well if your dealer says he can make it happen, then stick with him.

Since this is a tiller boat does it come pre rigged? There is no throttle control or steering system on a tiller boat. Seems to me you could hang any motor off the back you wanted.

BTW Crestliner is also owned by Brunswick so they are affiliated with Mercury. As you say Alumacraft is all on there own and you can get any motor you want.

On page 39 of the 2007 book promoting the Lund Boat line, it states under the option section that Honda is an option on the motor. This is where the specs for the 2010 Pro Guide are listed so this may be an option. Personally, I am thinking Alumacraft and the 185 Tournament Sport. The 2007 has changed over the 2006 (slightly) and sure looks sweet to me. Have to hope my ship comes in!

Black Bay

You would be surprised how much rigging goes on those bigger tillers. You've got the hydraulic controls, oil line from tank, wires from the floor control, battery cables, etc.

There is one way to show a company that you do not approve of them charging you a premium because you want what you want as opposed to wanting what they want you to take. "Vote with your feet." Buy another brand. Lund makes a great boat. So do some other boat manufacturers. I haven't ever justified to myself why Lund feels that they can charge so much for their boats. This is why I've never owned one.

Don't know what boats you've priced. Lund has the only 20ft aluminum tiller I have found. So their price @ $30k for a package is much cheaper than $40k for a Ranger, Triton, Yar-Craft, or Warrior.

Quote:

You would be surprised how much rigging goes on those bigger tillers.

There's also a tachometer and trim gauge which are motor brand dependent.

marine_man

Fishhook is right in that Lund does show Honda as an optional motor for the 2010. It's listed under their Optional Equipment. If people are looking for a tiller yet do not want to pay the added cost of re-rigging a Lund with a Yamaha or some other motor, Alumacraft does make a Tournament Pro 185 Tiller which is basically 19' long and appears to be set up similar to the Lund 2010 (similar, but not exactly the same). I would agree that Alumacraft may see more sales come their way since they allow any motor to be put on their boats. It will be interesting to see in the years to come if there will be an adverse affect on the sales of Lund and Crestliner. Lund or Alumacraft, those tillers look like nice boats. I for one have those consoles that "get in the way". wink.gif

The issue with the 2010 Pro Guide and the choice of motor between Merc and Honda boils down to the Mertens Power Tiller System. This is the system that hydrulically (sp) steers the boats when you steer the tiller handle. The engine manufacturer has to sign off to allow the Mertens system be installed on their motors. As far as I now Honda has not endorsed this system to be pre-rigged at the factory on the 2010 Pro Guide. As the Mertens system gains in popularity as it has over the past 2 years more motor manufacturers will probably allow it to be installed on their motors. Mercury has a very close working relationship with Mertens and there is even speculating that Mercury will buy out Mertens and only make the system available for installation on Mercury outboards.

Another point relevant to this post is what motor you can hand off the back of a Lund. As stated earlier, Mercury and Lund are both owned by Brunswick which is the reason Lund is moving towards all Merc's on the Lund Boats. Lund has an existing contract with Honda that states Lunds can come pre rigged with Honda's, thus the reason that it says you can get a Honda on a Lund for 2007. It is my understanding that this contracts ends after the 2007 model year. After this it will be all Merc's unless someone is willing to pay a much higher price to order a Lund/Merc package and then take a credit for the Merc motor that is much less than the motor is worth and put their motor of choice on for whatever a Yamaha, Evinrude, Suzuki, etc costs. I don't see many people doing that, they will either just get a Lund with a Merc or they will buy a different brand boat in order to get the motor they want.

Northlander,

As for the motors it was both Yamahas, and Evinrudes choice to no longer hang their motors on Lund boats. It was not Lunds choice. As for changing I can pretty much guarantee it wont change because neither Yamaha or Evinrude will sell any prerig parts or motors to Lunds. Also crestliner is owned by Brunswick so they have no motor options that Lund does not have. I really hope you and your thousands of friends fall in love with Mercury motors so you can keep running your Lunds laugh.gif

Northland, Crestliner is also now owned by Brunswick and the same "Merc only" applies. But I'm with you, I'm very upset with the present Lund "packaged" boats. Most I've talked to feel the same. Some dealers were able to sell a few 07 Lunds with Yamahas or other motors to reduce their non-Merc motors inventory-----but that's it. After those sales I would bet the sale of Lund/Mercs will go down. I will not buy another Lund with those conditions, and I own three of them now----and have always owned them.

SXViper, Yamaha and Evinrude's decision to not sell motors to Lund was in response to Brunswick's purchase of Lund. It was a forgone conclusion that Brunswick would only allow Mercs on Lund and Crestliner boats. There really was no choice. It was definitly a Brunswick decision.

I think you will see this as comon thing in the future with boat company's, as they all buy out and sell out to try to gain more sales and make more $$$

I think boat will be more like cars and trucks in the future,if you buy a ford you get the ford motor,and the same with chev, when it come rite down to it it's about more $$$ for the company and the costomer get shut out of the whole thing IMO...