• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rice lake

I have been out to rice lake in shakopee twice this year during the week for quick morning hunts. Both times it has been typical of rice lake. Lots of birds, lots of hunters, always one group on the lake that ruins things for everyone else. Rice lake is what it is. It is almost unhuntable on weekends and early season weekdays are crowded and can get frustrating and almost silly.

But I noticed a sign that says next year rice lake will go to hunting by permit only. Has anyone else heard about this? I'm not sure how I feel about that. If there was ever a place that needed a controlled number this is it. But on the other hand I only live 5 minutes away and if just want to slip out for a couple hours before or after work it's not a bad place.

That would be awesome I live 2 minutes from there, if it were more regulated if could be good. That place can really only hold 5-8 parties max.

I also live close to here and was planning on getting out soon. If either of you guys has interest, feel free to shhot me an e-mail. mikelentz at frontiernet dot net I usually frequent area's east of the cities, but would like to get out on Rice lake.

I drove down to the access last night and there were 13 rigs there! On a Tuesday night! I did see the sign that stated Rice Lake will be a Control hunting lake by permit only next year. Maybe it will help with crowding, skybusting etc.

I was out there and talked to a CO. He said that they are doing it for a number of reasons - but mostly 4 swans have been shot there so far this year.

He said mostly it was a specific "group" doing it that does not care or does not know.

Well those people are mindless if they've done it four times! I'm guessing anybody that accidentily shot a Swan once wouldn't even think of raising their gun at anything white ever again. I'm going to drive down there at 5;30 tonight and see whats happening.

No, I think you took "group" the wrong way. I was trying to be politically correct. The group is the minority immigrant from the east smile.gif

I totally misunderstood you... With that being said, I think I saw the same guy with fourty Bass down on the shores of lake Mtka... blush.gifshocked.gif

Intentional or not, anyone that shoots a swan needs to be put away for a long, long time!

Trumpeters are making a great comeback now and we see them all the time where we duck hunt and they always fly by in the morning while deer hunting as well.

Every day we've been out duck hunting this fall, we've had the same 5-6 Trumpeters cruising the lake. The sure like to come look at our decoys and we almost ended up with an adult and an immature landing in them the other day.

But the sad part of this story is we found a dead one on the lake we are hunting as well. We spotted a white floating object way across the lake and weren't sure what it was. Given that the water is low, it could have been a rock sticking out. Well, 1 week later, the white thing was still in the same spot and we cruised over to take a look. Sure enough, it was a dead swan and it was stuck on a mat of weeds. Hard to say if any fowl play was involved, it was pretty decomposed and picked at when we found it. frown.gif

I went down to Rice Lake a few hours ago and talked to a guy there to kinda get the lowdown and while I was there counted 19 cars!!! He said what was said earlier, that this small lake is way overcrowded, but also said ducks are flying.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.