• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

E- collars

Tom7227

Anyone have any opinions about a choice of a beeper/e- collar for use with my Brit? I have used a Tri-Tronic upland model for 6 years and now I can't get it to acknowlege the receiver. I am not real happy with their customer service response - send it in with $125 and we'll refurbish it. The dog seems to know when it isn't working and so he'll take off unless I'm able to reach out and tap him a little.

I've looked at the Dogtra 2000 and am concerned about the wires that run inside the collar to the beeper. Seems to me that they'd break with use. The Sport Dog model seems to be cheaply bulit. Both have lifetime warranties, but what does that mean?

Thoughts?

I got the dogtra 2000 t&b and it has worked fine for me. I bought it earlier this year and it has survived everything so far.

Its been out in the field, in water, everything that you would do in a hunt, I have done with it, with no issues.

The wires in the collar are sealed very well and are very flexibal. There is nothing to me that seems cheap and fragile with this collar.

The majority of guys in our Navhda club use this same collar and all have nothing but good things to say about it.

Here is a copy of a post I did one year ago about my choice in beeper/training collars. After one full year I have been very happy with the range and quality of the unit.

"Well after a little more digging around, I finally found the collar that has the features I wanted and not the ones I don't.

It is the DT Super Pro Elite model 7300. It has the standard nick/constant plus the baritone beeper with locate feature and the hardest of all to find in a beeper/trainer, it also has the vibrating alert. It is also an FM signal rather than the standard AM. The FM is supposed to be better in heavy cover, water and uneven terrain.

And, more importantly, unlike the model DT SPT 7800 that I had posted about before, this one does not have the no bark feature which I did not want. This feature means that you always have a large spike sticking into the dogs wind pipe. The no bark spike is in the middle of the two training spikes and I would think would not be comfortable for the dog on a long day in the field. Plus, the model 7300 is $100 less than the model 7800.

Just thought I would post this incase others are looking for those same features. This collar is brand new by the way and I found it at Reed's for $449.

ccarlson "

Has anyone tried the new Innotek Field Pro collar? It looks like it is a durable and feature rich collar. I also like the looks of the collar as it is shaped to fit comfortably around the dogs neck. I would be interested in hearing experiences if there are any. I know the collar only came out in August of this year.

I'm not sure what model you were looking at, but I've got the Sport Dog 1800 and I don't see anything cheap about it. It has worked great.

i just sent in my tri-tronics classic 70 that has a 2 dog collar and remote and they gave me a brand new collar and remote. my old one was about 4 years old. i think was a heck of a deal for $125 and the customer service was fairly good. thats what i thought.

How long was the turn around from Tri-Tronics. I suppose that I'm screwed cause I need it for South Dakota in a couple of weeks.

Best thing to do is call Tritronics and see what they can do for you. Make sure you let them know exactly when you need it. Their turn around time can be pretty remarkable.

It may be as simple as replacing the batteries in both the collar and receiver. It's a cheaper alternative and is normally the problem. Six years without a battery replacement is darn good. Do a Google on Sacanadaga Dog Supply in NY. He has a toll free # and is real helpful....

I have the new Tri-Tronics G2 2 dog collar and it is smaller than the old ones and works great.

Bob @ Sacandaga can get a jump start for you. He also has GOOD contacts @ TriTronics. I've used him while out in SoDak to get things expressed to my hotel room.

I will throw my hat in the ring for the Dogtra 2000TB. I have used it since I bought it at the Game Fair this summer and am really impressed. It is simple to use with everything I want. I also have an Innotek and there is a LOT to be said for re-chargable batteries.

it takes them 5 business days to get it fixed. as of shipping you could send it next day air their and have them send it next day air back to you. or second day air. i did second day air for mine and i took a full week to get mine back. and also you get a new warrenty when you send the collars in to them.

Well I called TriTronics and they would give me a 35% discount off the price of a new unit. The batteries on the old one were fine - my kid is a student and did some sort of tests and everything was working except the receiver. In the end I decided to go with the Dogtra. The TriTronic had to be sent back twice for repairs while I owned it, and I only used it 5 or 6 days a year. Even with the discount the dollar amount was more than I could get the Dogtra 2000 for. That unit has a lifetime warranty - lifetime defined as 5 years after they quit making the model.

Thanks for all the input on this subject. It's always good to get some real life opinions rather than some advertising bs from the Web.

I've had two Innotek collars and consider both of them one step below trash- they are unreliable. I thought the first collar was a lemon and was dumb enough to buy the 2 dog command seriers collar w/beeper. In two years I have been through 4 collars- the internal wire breaks. I contacted a company that repairs collars and they told me they get many calls on Innotek. I ended up buying a Sportdog 1850 for my son to use hunting this year. Seems to work well. I thought hard about the Dogtra model but I like having the beeper run separately from the collar. Basically, you can slide the beeper off of the collar, both are independent of the other.