• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How long B4 season to put up stands?

chris63

Hello,.I've put up permanent stands at all points in the season.What are your expert opinions???????????c63

Season has been going on for quite some tiem now?.. Are you thinking gun hunting? For me, I am a portable guy. Hopefully someone who does the perm thing will be able to help you better.

permanent(sp?)?? it may take a while for the deer to get use to but a hang on portable id give a day to a week before u hunt it but a climber can be hung and hunted the same day just becaseu of the stealth factor...hope that answers your q grin.gif

When I hunt the gun season, I put up two tree stands (one ladder and one hanger) and mark off a few other spots that might be good ground-blind places. I maker sure that I have the stands up at least a month before the season and I make sure that no one goes near them or my ground spots. I may be going overboard, but I like to make sure the deer are comfortable with the change to their environment long before its time to hunt. I will even go so far as to put a "fake hunter" in my ladder stand cuz it isn't that high up. I just get together some old balze orange and boots and a hat and situate them in the stand to condition the deer to feel safe when someone is sitting up there. Again, maybe a little overboard, but I think it makes a difference.

Bottom line, to answer your question I put up my stands about 3-6 weeks before the gun season. Deer are nervous animals and I think any little thing we do to make them feel more comfortable in their environment helps us to be successful.

chris,

when we do ours we do them during the summer because that way they don't get scared when season starts. I'd recomend getting a portable then next year put a perm. stand up during the summer so the deer have half the summer and the fall to get used to it. Find spots with the portables then build perm. stands during the summer are my suggestions.

Do it as early as you can, but if you haven't done it & you want one in a new spot, what's to lose by doing it now? As I stated in a similar thread earlier this fall. I built a permanent, a smaller one one year the Sunday before gun season & shot a 6 pointer out of it with my bow that Thursday at 5-6 yards something like that.

We replaced my brother-in-law's permanent the Thursday before season last year. He didn't get a deer there, but for some reason the deer just weren't using his spot much last fall before that & it didn't happen for him. It didn't have anything to do with the stand, plus it was in the same spot as the old one.

I like to put out stands in July. But that never seems to happen.

We just moved an old stand and made a lot of noise and ripped the ground up quite a bit. We attached it to two pbig trees and we plan to hunt out of it in a couple of weeks for bow. I don't think I will see much for a while.

It should be good for gun.

I think it depends on who you are.

We do ours the weekend before gun season. We never seem to have a hard time getting deer. I did buy a climber this year just in case though. Kid

To all whom responded thankyou for the great words here...........you guys won't believe this but one year we put up a perm. stand on friday afternoon and my brother shot not one but two nice bucks before noon on opener saturday morning.go figure..........the question can refere to either season(s) as we hunt bow,gun and muzzle loader.........we have buck fever all year long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!c63

If the deer are used to activity in and around the woods. Like grouse hunters, ATV's and just general people activity I wouldn't hesitate to put up stands and hunt them right away. We have shot nice bucks off perms built the day before more than one time. But if the area you hunt rarely sees human interaction of any kind then I would be much more hesitant to put up stands late in the season. For the most part though I think you will be just fine puttting them up when you get the chance. More importantly is making sure you never hunt a stand with a bad wind.

At least a week b4 howevever I feel the sooner the better. I think with portables you can get by with even the day of. However with Permanents 1 week minumum i like a month though best