• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BLACK MOOSE DOWN... BLACK MOOSE DOWN!!!!!

gorrilla

I lucked into a 32" bull on my fourth day of (hard) hunting. When we were entering a slash we called the evening before to call again at sunrise, we spotted this 700# bull sitting on top of the tallest hill in the slash possibly just waiting for that romantic cow call again. Anyway, the 300 short mag did its job at 191 yards, and with an insurance shot the bull finally toppled. The best part is that when we went to look where he was bedded another bull on the back side of the hill took off across the slash. I was a little relieved to see he was the same size as the one I had just dropped. All I can say is it truly is a hunt of a lifetime...

Gorrilla,

Congrats on your moose. The hunt will last forever in your mind. I (We) are having a blast. every day is a new adventure smile.gif After hunting parts of 7 days we are dialed in wink.gif But the rut seems to be winding down confused.gif We have located a area that many moose are using. I have seen a monster twice but at very long range 350 to 500 yards. The rack is clearly visible at very long range. He has great fronts. We have passed on one monster,two yearlings and one large cow so far. My dad passed on a huge bull in the pouring rain. He had the huge bull in to 70 yards for 20-20 minutes. He never gave a view of his broadside and only the neck and head were visible. he did the right thing by not taking a risky shot. How many guys would risk the shot on a once in a lifetime hunt? He did the right thing. It poured for 3 hours that afternoon. It may have been the same one I have seen. 1 1/2 miles away.

I had to come back early to attend to car troubles for my wife. We may be purchasing a used vehicle tomorrow. I hope to get back up for next Wednesday - Sunday if they dont take down one of the big guys. I for one am willing to eat moose dropping soup if that is what it takes. Those yearlings better wise up by next Sat morning.

later

Steve

Congrats!!

I like the subject line of your post! Took me a day but I figued it out.

I'm able to figure out how to shoot a small bull moose, but I've yet to master downloading a picture. (and yes I've read the directions). If anyone want to post it for me or explain it, I've got pics on my computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an url set up for putting pics on this board? We were successful in the '06 MN Moose hunt and would like to share a pic and story. If I emailed a pic could someone post it for me? I would also like to see others taken this year. I know a 60+ incher was taken in the central arrowhead and would love to see a pic of it! Lets hear the stories!

i also heard about the 60 inch plus bull up in the arowhead. my uncles pulled a tag in zone 31. one of the guys that was driving home sunday saw the big bull on a trailer at a gas station in beaver bay. would love to see the pics from that one and hear that story.

iceman

USDA3,

Congrats on your moose. We decided to take a small bull on Wednesday morning. We had a great time. The hunt was more that any of us expected. We saw 3 big bulls. and a total of 28 or so moose. Many were probably the same animals.

It came down to the fact that the winter storms (?) may change the pattern or location of the group we were hunting. I had a perfect shot at 70 yards on a small bull coming up in 30 seconds or so so I radioed the guy's and asked shoot or don't shoot. He went 20 yards and we could pull the 4 wheeler right up to him. Some of the other possibilities would have been going down in the swamps around us. We were in zone 21. I will post some pics next week. I do have a trail camera pic of him 3/4 of a mile away I think.

Steve

Bring on the stories.

p.s. We learned a ton on our hunt if anyone has any questions and would like some help fire away.

Gorrilla:

Would like to see the pics of that moose, how about it!!

Congrats on your hunt this year.

Farmer

[image]http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=91498499203.369672461403.1161363693510&photoid=269672461403&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2006[/image]

What a HUNT! I can't say enough about the experience we had this fall in the MN Moose hunt! We hunted 9 hard days before shooting this 36 in. bull sunday evening in zone 28 north of Two Harbors. Not a huge bull, but my dad brother and I were all sitting together (ironically for the first time in nine days)when this animal came in. Began working on the bull under the light of moon and lantern around 8pm and were back at the truck by 0415 am monday morning!

We passed a smaller bull earlier the first week, and saw a monster what looked to be 50+ but never got a shot at him.

Our next conquest will be figuring out how long it will take us to consume 310 lbs. of meat we got back from the butcher this weekend! hopefully this photo will load, otherwise I could email it to someone to post! I'm with gorilla, can shoot a moose but can't get the photo to work!