• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Windy day hunting ??

CC Hurl

In the past i have chosen to stay home when the forcast is for windy conditions. Well they are calling for windy wheather over the weekend. I would like to read some of your ideas on the wind and how some of you deal with it.

I hear the wind will spook the deer and they will travel at night only or not at all. Is this true and what would be your opinion on this weekend forcast.

Thanks

CC HURL

I have not seen many deer on very windy days. But in my area at least, the wind is not supposed to pick up until later in the day so a morning hunt would be perfect in that instance.

Two things I dont like when bow hunting,wind and a full moon.With a clear sky and a full moon I have always found it hard to find deer moving until later in the evening.As far as the wind goes the woods gets so noisy that the deer feel insecure when thier eyes and noise and hearing are not at thier best.

I will be going to North Dakota tommorrow for some bow hunting and I do not expect much for deer movement.

One thing that does work well in the windy conditions is to walk a corn field with the wind in your face.You might be suprised just how close you can get to a bedded deer.

On windy days I prefer to stalk the timber, it is amazing how close you can get. I have shot several deer doing this.

On windy days, I like to hunt as close to a bedding area as possible. This means thick cover. I feel the deer feel more secure in this area and tend to move around a bit more than open areas. On full moon stretches, I've had better luck hunting mornings, although my dad arrowed a forkhorn with a busted up rack last night about 6:40 pm. Just goes to show you can get a deer in the evening with a full moon. The more and more my hunting time is limited, the more I just go when I can. When it gets close to the middle of October and the rut starts firing up, I'll hunt from 11am to about 3pm, when I'm on night shifts. I saw alot of deer in that time frame last fall. I'm a firm believer in hunt whenever you can!!!

Brian

Right on BMC.

I will be heading south affter leaving work at noon. Plan to hunt regaurdless of the wind.

Hurl

Find a place with food that's really sheltered from the particular wind. They're much more likely to choose that food source even if it's not their top choice if it's calm there & no where else. I've got a spot like that where if it's absolutely howling straight out of the West it's the place to be.

up here in bemidji, its been windy everyday, with only a hanful of calm nights, on all hte days i thought i wouldn't see a thing on the windy days, they still come out in the woods to feed, although they are very cautious. I might try tonight regardless of the wind,

I was out for a few hours before work this morning and swear I saw a few shadowy forms creeping through the floor of the woods, but not much else during legal shooting light except 4 racoons and two owls. The one good thing about the wind is that its's harder for the deer to hear you moving through the leaves to your stand. And yes, I know, rake a 1/2 mile long path to my stand, but I did that and the next day, the leaves were all there again. Anywhoo, the bad thing is that you can't hear the deer.

I'll be out again tomorrow morning, even if it is windy. You just never know. If the wind's to your favor, it could be good.

I also mostly hunt woods and would agree that the deer like to stick to sheltered areas during wind rather than standing out in the middle of a field so your setup in sheltered areas could help your odds substantially too.

I have to get permission to hunt some cornfields cause if I could stalk a deer through corn during windy conditions and nab one, that would be pretty much the coolest thing ever.

I read an article in a bowhunting mag by Bill Winke about doing this during the rut. In this case, it was windy and right after a good rain and everything was soaked. It was during the rut and he watched a doe and a huge buck bed in the middle of a corn field from his stand. He figured there'd be now way the buck would come out during shooting hours so he got down and stalked up to the bedding spot and took the buck. What a rush that must have been.

Winke also says in the article that another hunter who had been watching the whole thing from his stand came running up behind him afterward hooting and hollering because he was so excited that Winke had actually pulled it off. Winke said that initially the guy had thought while watching him start the stalk "oh, no, what's this (Contact Us Please) doing!?" But it worked.