• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Private Property Portage

mcmsek

Does any one know if you are paddling down a river and need to portage around a rapids if you can go on private property to do so?

Thanks

I think you have up to the highwater mark, which depending on the stream and bank, could be pretty high

there is lea way on the the shore land. But as long as your not doing any damage to the property I can't see why they would argue.

what about that new judge rule they had passed something about all water was private property??? dont get that though

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

normal high water mark like say every spring it floods thats the high water mark. Not say the 100 year flood kind of thing.

In WI it is no longer the high water mark. You must keep your feet wet. Although, if you come to an area that is impassable( beaver dams etc.), or feel that it would be dangerous(Deep hole, rapids etc.), you are allowed to exit and re-enter the river using the shortest route to do so. That is just WI though. I don't know the MN law.

I got a response from the DNR that concurs that it is not the highwater mark, if your feet are not wet, you are trespassing, no exceptions.

Well i know for a fact as of last year if your feet are wet and your walking you can still get a ticket.If the creek/river was man made like a drainage ditch thats tresspassing exception is the riteofway like intersection culverts things like that just off the road.

Thats why you see most trappers only trapping those areas.

I know 2 clowns that took a small duck boat pulled it off the truck down the ditch and into a pond.All the property prior to the water was riteaway so they figured it was ok.They even called the dnr on this 1.I'm prety sure they left out the fact that pond was private and full of monster fish.They were issued a tresspass ticket $50.00 each and lost all the fish they had

This may not apply to your situation but for those reading whats been said so far does not apply to all waters

I know for a fact that if the water comes up to the road you can access the Lake, pond, stream whatever. There is a lake close to my residence that a local game warden even accesses off the road to go fishing. Seen him do it and talked to him while he was.

I guess thats why we have so many regs.Not 1 game warden or judge rules the same thats why ya ask the local guy what the rules are cause you'll be dealing with that person.It might not be the way another Gamewarden will tell you but thats all you need

This Goes back to me hunting next to a game warden in a city park that was not posted as 1.Kinda hard to get a ticket when this happens

I agree westb. (Packer fan are we? LOL)

This should sum it up quite easily:

MN DNR "water law basics"

As a landowner/lakeshore owner myself I know for a fact anyone can access the body of water legally through a road right-of-way if water butts up to it.

For the river...keep your feet and property in the water at all times. The key words are navigable and/or non-navigable waters. Read the law in the link. wink.gif

Well for 3 years the game wardens been giving tickets out to those walking down a1/4 mile drainage ditch to acess about 5,000 acres of private deer hunting land.There feet have been in the water the whole time until they reach the land they have permission to be on.They start out by walking down the bank from the road next to a culvert max of 7' from road to water.

Cranecreek had a sign posted by the dnr.Boat acess only no walking in river beyond this point without writtn permission.Someone cut the sign off in half last summer.

Explanations anyone???

The drainage ditch probably isn't considered "navigable waters", but rather a privately created waterway. The laws regarding such things are murky at best - but anyone relying on the water in a ditch (as opposed to a natural stream or river or lake) are probably in a trespass situation.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.