• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose Rut

Sorgy

We are less than a week away from the Moose Season. We have been doing our scouting and have a pretty good feel for the area we are going to hunt (zone 21). One of our members has been out and has seen some rubs and 1 wallow. Out of sheer luck a moose may have made a wallow right in front of a trail camera. A trip to the one hour photo in Ely today will confirm the size smile.gif

How far along is the rut right now and will things get more intense in the next week or 2? How much damage can we expect to see if there are a lot of bulls around? With this being our first hunt I still have lots of questions.

The moose hunt has meant far more than the chance to shoot a moose. We have decided to enjoy the hunt rather than shoot the first animal that comes along. The real test will be the first moose with small paddles that we see confused.gif

I am lucky to get to share the hunt with my dad and his/my longtime hunting buddy.

Please post some stories of your past/present hunts and any info on the rut and what you are seeing in the woods.

Thanks

Steve

p.s. The camera took 16 pics after sitting for 2 days with none. 2 days later the camera had a bunch of pics. If they turn out I will post them when I return from my hunt.

Good Luck

Sorgy, I'm doing almost the same thing as you in zone 22. I'll be sharing the experience with my dad as well. He's been applying since '71 without any luck getting drawn yet. My goal is a bull 35" or bigger. If that doesn't happen in five days I might rethink it though. Good luck to you...

We got some pics back from the 1 hour photo today. It looks like 2 different small bulls. 1 may be a 3rd bull as well. I have not seen all of the pics. 1 of the pics has a bull with a crown of brush ooo.gif The fist pic shows leaves on the ground and then a bull working the ground and another with a bull bedded in it. They are just a realy cool touch to the hunt cool.gif I will try to figure out how to post pics and post them here confused.gif There are 12 pics in all grin.gif

Good Luck

Steve

my two uncles pulled a tag in zone 31 i think it is. right in finland. was up there last weekend bow hunting walkin out of my stand and jumped one. dont know how big it was but all i could hear was horns hittin trees. and the trees looked like they were gonna fall over. and it wasnt tall brush they were 4-5 inches around. will be up there bowhunting again and helpin pull one out if they get it this weekend. should be a fun time my uncles owns a campground up there and they got all the bear hunters comin up and the whole family it will be a blast. cant wait. good luck to all with a tag.

iceman

I'm up late packing, working on the computer(in between peeking at FM of course), and cooking fresh venison stew the night before I leave for my big moose hunt. Can't wait, and I must admit for a guy who's shot more than his share of deer, I've got a few butterflies... I mean holy cow, you can't get a bigger deer than the one I'll be chasing the next two weeks(except the Yukon subspecies of course). I just hope I'm able to smack a decent bull the first week because my dad will be up there to share the experience with me. Even if I don't I'm sure its going to be a blast. I bet those guys in the north country haven't ever seen a Gorrilla chasing a Moose before!!!

Gorrilla,

I feel your pain. I can't think straight right now crazy.gif I am haveing a hard time getting my stuff in order for the hunt. I think that we are talking ourselfs into holding out for a trophy for the first 4 or 5 days wink.gif Once in a Lifetime right wink.gif

Good Luck on your hunt.

Steve

P.S. BiglakeBa$$ thanks for posting the pics in the trail cam pics post.