• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm wondering what is the best fishing line to use when fishing walleyes, vertical jigging. I'm using P-Line now 8lb. Just tring to get some information from some helpful fishermen.Thanks

Can't say I've ever heard of P-line, but Power Pro and Fireline are both good choices for vertical jigging 'eyes. If the water is stained, you can direct tie to your presentation. If the water is fairly clear, use about a 6' fluorocarbon leader prior to tying up.

I used Power Pro up in Canada this year while fishing for 'eyes in the rocks. Big mistake! Lost lots of rigs, lots of line and wrecked a reel in the process. smirk.gif Down here you should be fine though.

I have tried a lot of lines but i still go back to 6lb trilene xl i do use some flourocarbon leaders but im not sold on it i dont think it holds up in the rocks as well.

If you happen to snag with a superline, tighten the drag down and point the rod right at your presentation. Often times, the hook or whatever is snagged will straighten and pop right out. All I use is superline and fluorocarbon. It just takes some getting used to.

T.O. you are correct.I use 80 braided line on the river and when I get a snag in the rocks or wood,you can pull straight and usually get most of your gear back.Sometimes that doesnt work but most times.

That's how I burnt my one reel up. Windy day, snagged in the rocks, tightened up the drag and held on. Not exactly sure what happened, but I had to cut the line and the drag was shot. That's okay though....it wasn't a great reel and I'm in need of some new equipment next year anyway. smirk.gif

I believe I was snagged up on the sinker, so there was no hook straightening to help get it out.

Eric,did you point your rod tip towards the snag? Not that this always works but seems to be the best way to unsnag.

Have you been dropping any geese lately?

Yep, pointed it at the snag just like I point at geese. wink.gif

Haven't been out since last Saturday. Those 4 geese are plenty for me to eat until the regular waterfowl season starts up. wink.gif

Apple orchard tomorrow if the weather holds out, can't miss the race on Sunday, then next weekend we're headed to North Dakota to pick up the boat we're getting!!!!! grin.gifcool.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

You can't go wrong with your 8lb P-line. It's as good as any fl-carbon line.

I have Fire-Line on most of my stuff. Some of it is 2yrs old! If I used live bait, I would most likly have a rig set up with a line like P-Line to bang the bottom with.

If you're using a monofilament backing below your superline that could have caused the problem. This will cause your reel to "burn" drag when it really doesn't have to. I use electrical tape on the bare spool and then direct tie the superline to that and begin spooling.

The apple orchard? Come on. That place is for mom and the kids only. smirk.gif

Quote:

The apple orchard? Come on. That place is for mom and the kids only.

Dad is still a kid at heart yet too. wink.gif Last year my son had a blast plucking apples from the trees....it was fun to watch along with riding the miniature horses, petting the little goats, etc.

There's time yet for the 'eyes....I'm sure they're not in that big of a hurry to be culled. grin.gif

Your right Eric.The fish will always be there and your children will be grown before you know it.Spend all the time with them as possible.

I went cattin tonight and cut it very short as my granddaughters were coming over for the night. smile.gifMuch better than fishing. smile.gif

Priceless times right here.... grin.gif

ajpicksappleskk9.jpg

ajridesahorseqc3.jpg

ajdaddyinthehayvx9.jpg

My apologies for getting way off the subject here. Just being a proud dad. smirk.gif

Whats that funny looking hat? I have a extra hat for Jr,ERic. wink.gif

Looks like you had a great time with the kids and thats what it is really all about.More parents should spend more time with thier kids and maybe things just might be a little better.

Great pics but the apple orchard is not for me and my wife definitely knows that. smile.gif I like to spend time with my family on the water. smirk.gif It's like this..."Honey, wanna go for a boat ride?". grin.gifgrin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

..."Honey, wanna go for a boat ride?".

Is that "code talk" or are you actually asking to take her out fishing? blush.gifgrin.gif (you don't have to answer that one) wink.gif

Okay, back to fishing lines now smirk.gif A couple things I like about Power Pro is the sensitivity of the line, plus there's no stretch so you get good hook setting power, plus it rips through weeds better than mono.

No code talk, I actually take her out. She's out for tomorrow though. She's more of a "fair weather" fisherwoman.

Superline is the only way to go.