• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

loose steering on dodge dakota

opsirc

Question

I got a 97 dakota 4x4, that has delevoped some played in the wheel. It has power steering, was thinking there may be some adjustments on the power steering box. Does any one know if there are any adjustments that can be made to help take some of the freeplay out.

thanks

Opsirc

2 answers to this question

Crawl under the truck while you have someone else turn the wheel. Have the truck running and watch for where the play occurs. Most times it will be in one of the joints connecting the steering linkage. If you don't notice anything there, pop the hood and watch the rag joint while your partner turns the wheel back and forth again. The rag joint is the connection between the steering shaft and the power steering box. These can sometimes get mushy.

If you have to replace the steering gearbox DO NOT buy a reman from part stores. They are all junk, regardless of which store sells them, get a new one if you can afford it (scary price) or get one from junkyard. I replaced 3 brand new gearboxes in my RAM before giving up and getting a used one with 120,000 miles....no more play in the gear.