• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CVA Kodiak?? HELP A NEWBIE OUT

midwesthunter

I'm new to muzzleloading and could use all the advice possible. I am looking at the CVA Kodiak Magnium .50 cal. Does anyone have any experience using these, good or bad? I am also planning on shooting Triple Se7en and AeroTip bullets. I will be using this in MN for whitetails, so a scope is out of the question.

Thanks

A couple years ago it was ranked #1 Muzzleloader on the market. If your looking to get into black powder go with a kodiak or the omega from Thompson Center. Whenever looking at the guns make sure it's a 209 primer which is a lot easier then the disk types. I am shooting Triple Seven powder and I don't notice a difference between that and the pyrdoex so I don't know if it is cleaner or not but get the 50 grain powder tablets and go from there. As for bullets haha. I've got 4 differnt types i'm playing with. Try some and see what works for ya. I'm shooting TC Shockwaves/Hornady's/Barnes/Powerbelt. I'm still trying to find out what my gun likes. But I would suggest a stainless barrel. Easier for clean up.

I bought a CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum two years ago and I like it. I got the stainless barrel also. I am still new the blackpowder scene but it performs great for me. I would like to put a scope on it and see how it shoots at longer ranges. Dont forget to season the barrel before you hunt with it. I shot about 75-100 ball and patches through it using just one 50 grain pellet each time. Good luck and have fun!

I have a Knight Revolution. Never had a problem with it and wouldn't trade it in for the world.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I have one and I really like it. It is real similar to a TC Omega but a little on the cheaperside (cost). Overall it has performed flawlessly for me!