• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What to look for in a new bow?

deadmoosecastingco

I am thinking about bowhunting this year for the first time. I'm looking for suggestions on what to look for in getting a bow. My experience with bows has been very limited. What should I look for so when I buy a new bow I dont decide in a year that I need a new one because mine is lacking? Thanks--DeadMoose

Go to a good archery shop and talk to there archery pro shop guys.Ask them what they think you will need and tell them what dollar range you are looking at.One very good and honest shop is Cabin Fever sporting goods in Victoria,Mn.They are just west of Eden Prairie.It will pay for you to go to a honest shop with very good archery techs to get what you want and need.They will let you try them out and help you with your shooting form and getting the right assc.I would at least give Jeff at Cabin Fever a call and tell them you are a FM dude looking for help and he will go out of his way to help you and show you what they have.They are the sponsors of this forum and on the outside banner ad next to the Archery forum you can get to thier web page and contact info.You will find that everyone has a bow they like and shoot well and that is what you need to do.There are good archery shops out there to help.You are on the right track asking these questions rather than just going out and buying something cheap and a bow that does not fit you or is not set up right.

Good luck.

Welcome to the FM family and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.There are some great guys here that can help you out a ton.

Welcome to the website! Information Unlimited for sure!

Well here's some info! First of all, (don't get me wrong) you should have purchased a bow about a month ago at least!

Now that being said, I just see too many first time bow hunters getting a bow just before bow season and not getting in-sinc with there bow. Not that they can't shoot it, but not enough time was spent from the time they started to shoot the new bow to the time they draw there bow on a deer. I think if you do purchase a new bow now, get it from an archery shop that can fit you correctly and shoot as much as possible from now until you shoot at your first deer. Don't stop practicing during the season! Hope this helps!

Now back to your question as to which bow to buy.

I shoot a Reflex Buckskin which is sweet to shoot and won't set you back $600-700.

Also get the best carbon arrows you can afford. I shoot Muzzy 100's three blades and shoot like field points. In fact I never shoot at the same spot twice or else I would wreck too many arrows. Also get a good target like the Block or something similar as these take broadheads real good!

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Good Luck grin.gif

I work in the archery dept at Gander Mtn in Woodbury. If you wanna stop by sometime I'd be more than happy to help you out. That is unless you're looking to get a Bowtech, Matthews or Hoyt frown.gif They don't sell those at big box outdoor stores.

What to look for in a new bow? I'd suggest three things to look for- you should find a Hoyt, Mathews, or Bowtech written on them. If you find any of those three things, you'll be fine. Seriously, hard to go wrong with either of those three things. If you can't afford a new one of these three, I'd suggest looking for a used one made by these three companies. A couple other less expensive (slightly) brands to look at are Diamond and Elite- both are very good. Other than that, like harvey lee suggested- go to an archery shop, ask questions, shoot some, get the one that feels best.

Well, like others have said, go to a good pro-shop and ask a lot of questions...shoot a bunch of different bows. I just got into this game about 9 months ago..so I know what you are going thru. A good pro-shop will help you determine your draw length and help get an idea of what draw weight is comfortable..etc. Things to keep in mind relate to the quietness of the bow during shooting cycle, the feel of the draw cycle and also the kind of speed and kinetic energy it can produce....depending on arrow weight. I might be getting ahead of myself...but I think you get the picture.

I found its just best to judge a bow by how it feels and shoots...it does not matter so much the name on the limb. Once you find the one you like, then the tough part starts. What kind of release, arrow rest, sights, arrows and etc??..??? In the long run, it’s a lot of fun.

Good luck in your search..and lets us know what you end up getting.

Cliffy.

brands are a personal thing!! most of them are of great quality!! as stated, go to a bow shop with a shooting range. try different bows. things to look for, are ; is it comfortable in your hand, and does it feel good to you when you draw it. decide what your price range is! if you can afford new, go for it! but there are great deals out there on used ones. a shop will be able to fit you properly as far as draw length and draw weight.( both adjustable!) if you are on a budget, you don't have to have the most expensive of things.( sights,rest, or arrows) the moderate priced stuff works too!

I was in the same position last spring and followed the advice I got on this forum: Go to a reputable firm and shoot bunch of bows. I tried Mathews, Bowtech and Ross at Cabin Fever and shot Hoyts at another shop. Being a newbie at archery I had no preconceptions about any bow manufacturer. My criteria was draw cycle, quietness, speed and overall shooting experience. I ended up buying a Mathews Switchback XT. The decision wasn't easy. All the brands I tried had very good products. The XT was just the best overall package for me. I purchased it at Cabin Fever. I would highly recommend them. They were very knowledgeable. The set me up with a great package and helped me through the process of moving from 60 lbs up to 70 lbs. The also were very helpful on the move from field points to broadheads.

I am now shooting 3 inch group out to 30 yards with broadheads and cannot wait until the season gets here. Lets hope buck fever doesn't change the success I have had shooting at targets.

Again try them all. There is a ton of great equipment out there. Just go to the experts to get set up.

Good luck.

WG

Shoot them all at the same time. That is the only way to do it. I almost bought the Hoyt but I was able to shoot them all and I liked the Mathews better.

Good luck.

Dah44- makes a good point.. try and shoot as many as you can in a short peroid of time.. However, many places dont carry mulitple or all the bow lines... Take a note book with you and write down what you did and didn't like about the bow right after you shoot it... then you can review notes and dont have to rely on memory!

Me personally i look first when i pull it back is to look at the cams and see if they bend when you are at full draw, tells you alot about the quality of the bow.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to a couple of different places and shot Hoyt, Matthews, Browning, Fred Bear, and Bowtech, and purchased a Bowtech. Im on my way out now to go play at the range.