• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

first superior laker trip..need a little help

I have fished Lake Michigan for salmon. I have downriggers, dipsies, spoons etc.

I have an 18 foot open bow boat.

I am camping at Jay Cooke august 18th thru 20th

here are my questions.

1. where is a good place to launch my boat on superior near Jay Cooke and near a good fishing location. I'm thinking somewhere in Duluth would be closest but anyone with a better idea?

2.How far out will I need to go to find fish, I have the navionics great lakes map chip in my fish finder so if all I need to do is find a certain depth I can do that pretty easy.

3. How far down will I need to set my riggers or whats been the rule lately.

4. spoon colors? trolling speed?

5. I also have gps on my fish finder so even getting some starting coordinates and a direction to head would help a lot.

I am trying to get my son into some other type of fishing as we have been die hard musky anglers for quite awhile but my old body is having trouble with all that casting lately so hopefully I can get him to land a few lakers and see if he starts coming around to the downrigger trollling or as he calls it "old man fishing" hehehe

Thanks for any help.

Put in at Rices landing under the highbridge and head out the Duluth entry and fish by the pump station and fish the shipping channel. Today fish were caught on bottom in about 145' of water on spoons and flashers and meat on flies. I think you will be out North east about 4.5 to 5.5 miles.

More guys will join in soon Im sure.

I would say you'd have to be further out than Northlander suggested. Seems to me that 5 miles will only get you into 90FOW or so. You might end up having to go out 10. We were out 8 or so miles today. The last few days, fishing has been much better toward the invisible Wisconsin line. Things may change by tomorrow though, as there was quite a current along with a shallow mudline that appeared to be sweeping out as we were heading in. If that dirty water gets out, things might get screwed up. I won't be out again till Wednesday, but i'll post a report indicating what's going on.

A good way to keep up on what's happening is that other Lake Superior thread.

Well it has been good but it all is how you fish?? You have to know your speed? Are you fishing smelt or hard where? We are fishing meat and knowing your speed helps out a lot but this is not lake michigan and it can be slow and if what you are doing is not working change it up start with speed and then presentation. ??????? The fish are in about 145 ft off water right on the bottom If we need to have a get to gether on fishing the bottom let northlander set it up?? shocked.gif I would help let steve know it would be fun to lern more about the lake from the guys who have fished the big lake more than most.... smile.gif

where can I find info on Rices landing under the highbridge as northlander suggested I put my boat in there.

and why is skippers kid always pushing the seminars? just looking for a few tips and a little guidance not a degree

Hey wingnut:

Welcome to FM. Great to have you here.

I reckon Skippers Kid isn't keen on being Mr. Teacher or anything, but is just trying to help you out. The more he knows about what you do and don't know, the better he can help, you know?

And as far as the seminar goes, I'll take a seminar any day. He is a L.S. charter fisherman, after all. Better to have more information than less. How is that any skin off your nose? You can always just ignore what you don't agree with and use the advice you like. Best of both worlds. grin.gif

HEHE I was just makin a little observation...not bad feelings just a little jab...Do you know where rices landing is?

Take the Garfield Ave exit, coming from Duluth just bear to the right and get under the bridge...can't miss it. From Superior, take Garfeild exit and turn left (180 degrees or "U" turn)before the light at Goodwill, then bear right...

Some call it a seminar, others call it drinking beer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If your heading North on I35, exit and go toward Superior on the Blatnik bridge located after the 21st st exit. Once on the bridge you'll see Garfield exit, get off there and you'll run into the landing.

Hey FMers. I haven't been on this site for quite a while, but I know this is where I need to go for help.

I'm looking through the posts for answers, but everyone has their own opinion.

I'm coming up for the first time this wknd, and was just wondering where the easiest place is to camp & launch.

I don't have downriggers, but will be trying with Dipsys, & any advice on depth, location, or anything else to help put fish in the boat would be greatly appreciated.

If you're putting in Superior, you'll want to put in at Loons Nest which is off Highway 2 just east of town. If you're putting in Duluth, Rice's Point, which can be accessed off of Garfield Ave from the High Bridge as you're going to Superior. I can't help you out much on camping, I'm sure others here are more familiar with local camping spots. I'm just not that familiar with them. In terms of fishing, the winds have blown quite a bit the past few weeks and the water temps have changed quite a bit each time. For example, last week water temps out by the Lester River were about 48 degrees sixty feet down in 120 feet of water. Last night they were 48 degrees at about 110 feet down. We caught a number of fish last week 60-80 down but everything last night came on or close to bottom in 110-120. Use your graph to spot fish..and then try to get your lures down to them. As I said, last night we were graphing them on bottom and thats where we had our best success. Also, vary your speed. We didn't start getting any action until we slowed our speed. I haven't fished the wisconsin side recently, so not sure how its been on that side. Good luck.

If you put in at Loons Foot in Superior theres a campground across the road at the Nemdji trailer park. Nothing Fancy but really close to the boat ramp. Theres also a nice campground 4-5miles down the road at the corner of 2/53 and hwy 13.

Thanks for the help.

As of now it looks like we're staying at Buffalo Valley in Duluth, unless someone tells me it's a crap hole. As for the fishing, we'll see what we can make work without the downriggers.

Thanks again.

The Buffalo House camping areas are good. Or at least were the last time I was there. 3-4 years.

Its about 10 minutes to Rices Landing down 35 from there. Good luck.