• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Proper way for asking permission to access land.

I've found a prime spot for catching some bait and realized I might be on private property. I've done some searching and discovered the owner of the property. I've also come up with some contact info. The owner lives on said property, approx 40 acres away "back in the sticks" in what looks to be a pretty big joint.

I feel a little creepy driving all the way back there and invading their "territory", however I think my chances would be better in person.

Would a phone call suffice, or is it just asking for a quick "NO"?

Thoughts?

dtro:

Personally a face to face meeting would be better. First impressions always go along way in no matter what circumstances and actually knowing who will be entering his property is the best.

My 2 cents worth is explain how you would approach the area, would always let the property owner know when you would be in there and most of all don't bring along all your buddies to do so.

Most property owners would most likely not mind as long as your respectfull of their land.

Farmer

I would do the face to face, several years ago I was scouting a small bass lake with no access and I asked a guy if there was anyway on to the lake, He was rude and told me it was private. I got back into my car and was driving out of his driveway when I saw some motion in my back seat, His cat had jumped into my car, I drove out and turned around and went back up his drive, he came off his porch in a huff and then I handed him his cat, he said thanks and then after a few awkward moments said if I wanted to I could put my boat in off his property. just needed an ice breaker..

Depending on what county it is in you could try and go on the county web site and see who owns the land. I know some county web sites will have a map of the county and plats and you can click them and find out who owns the land.

I know if I was the land owner, I'd much rather have someone talk to me face to face than receive a phone call.

It simply shows sincerity and integrity.

In person would definitely be the way to go. Two reasons: 1) It's personable and sincere and 2) It gives them a chance to know what you look like and the vehicle you drive, otherwise they may get concerned if they don't recognize who you are and what you drive, etc.

And who knows, a face to face might bring up other subjects of interest if all goes well.

I agree with face to face meeting.

My father has had sucess by writing a letter. He really wanted to fish a strech of his favorate trout stream that was private property. After some internet searching he found that the owner lives in Texas. He mailed him a letter and now has permission.

I dont think it matters either way, the guy probably is comfortable with people on his property or not already, doesnt matter if you call or ring his doorbell.

When someone approaches me about deer hunting in North Dakota by phone it is a big NO.I want to meet them.I usually stop and talk to them,tell them what kind of vechile I will be driving so they know who is on thier land.I also tell them who if anyone else is going to be with me.I will also usually stop back at a time later and give them a very small gift.If you want to go there for more than a year,I always send them a thank you card and will also send them a Christmas card.This has always worked well for me and never a problem getting in the following year.Most people dont have a issue with a person coming on thier land unless they have had a few bad apples.

I have had problems with people not asking and have gotten to be one of those people sportmans dont care for,but if you stop and talk to me,tell me who is going to be with you and what you are driving then I will probably give you a chance to prove yourself.Being in person is what it is all about for me.So,go put on your charming face and ask away. smile.gif

It might be just me,but if a person wont take the time to come and talk to me then I figure he just does not want to come on the property very bad.Now,if I know the guy then I might phone him but usually not.Give them the respect they deserve as it is there land.

Thanks for the suggestions. I stopped by there tonight, not knowing what to expect. I drove up the long driveway and admired the obvious work the owner has put into his property over the years, and in my head thinking that someone who prides himself on this is never gonna give me permission, not only that, but the private property signs had me worried, further up the driveway a Brinks security sign blush.gif, not looking good.....The owner happened to be outside and I approached him thinking the worst. I introduced myself and got right to the point......he looks at me and says, "sure no problem" cool.gif

Not only that, but he directed me to some spots that might be better than others.

I'm glad I asked, I've been turned down quite a few times and was losing hope, and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

He seemed really interested in the big fish I told him about that swim in "nearby waters". Perhaps I'll extend an invite. smile.gif

dtro... good for you. It never hurts to ask. I bow hunt and have asked quite a few folks if I could hunt their land. You never know what to expect. Most of the time the answer has been yes. Of course being polite and cleaned up a bit never hurts either.

Nick

How NOT to ask permission.

Several years ago I was heading out on my property to set up a bear bait. While on my way in (about 1.5 miles off a dirt road) I encounter a couple guys comming out on a wheeler. I can see from the items in their trailer they were bear hunters. They said they were hunting on so and so's land. I informed them they were off by 3/4 of a mile and they should remove their stuff from my land. They stopped to talk to me on their way out and said "this area looks like it is really good for grouse hunting, would you mind if we hunted grouse here later on?" After recovering from the suprise, I suggested it wouldn't be a good idea.

I am more than happy to grant permission to someone who asks. I don't think I would ever refuse permission to someone that asks unless I have already granted permission to someone else. In which case I would explain that to them. For example, a couple years ago a couple guys from Avon asked if they could hunt geese on my land for the early goose season. I gave them my blessings and informed them that I was going to be near Foley myself. Go figure. Well, my friend in Foley indicated that he hadn't seen much for geese and thought we'd be better off hunting my place. I couldn't even give us permission since I had already granted it to someone else. I had to ask my neighbors for permission to hunt their land. Worked out okay as within the first 15 minutes of the season we filled out.

On the other hand, I don't take kindly to trespassers that feel they can use my land freely. I feel disrespected, violated, and taken advantage of when I see someone trespassing. It's not that I am selfish and uncooperative, it is a matter of respect. I look at it this way. If you feel you have the right to use my property without permission, don't be surprised if I and my friends decide to camp out and have a party on your front lawn some day.

What's fair is fair.

Bob

dtro

I did the samething last night. I have been putting it off night after night. Last night I finally drove up this long driveway and see this huge home with a huge pole barn and made my way to the door. Unlike you no one was home so will have to give it a try again tonight. I know it's not that big of a deal but in my mind I'm making it worse then I should be. I hope for the same results you got. Then again if the answer is no then so be it. Just have to find somewhere else.

Reading these made me remember a story from my childhood. There was shallow private lake that was stocked with some nice lm bass. We knew one of the landowners and he said we could head out there whenever we wanted. Being 12 and on bikes it was a great time biking the few miles, meeting another kid, and throwing Hula Poppers for hours and getting plenty of C&R bass. A total blast. The landowners moved, and my dad drove me over to ask another landowner if we could cross his land. My dad knew the guy and they were both farmers, kinda in the same boat. My old man stepped back and let me do the asking. Well, the guy said no, and that he didn't want kids all over his farm and "wrecking up the place." We respected him, but my dad was not real pleased with him.

Fast forward 15 years, and this same guy drives up to my parents place on a weekend I happen to be home visiting. He had heard that there were wild turkeys being spotted in the area, and wanted to know if he could hunt on my dad's land. My dad politely reminded him about him being asked by me to fish on his land, what the outcome was, and that he felt he did not earn the right to hunt on my dad's land. The other farmer remembered, looked a little hurt, and turned and left.

Amazing how past deeds do come back. I am a Christian man, but I have to believe in a little Karma now and again.

dtro,

By all means extend the invite or at least make sure you do a small gift and or gesture for him so that next time he will offer you coming back and you won't have to ask again.

My father's small hobby farm has many guys come and ask to bow hunt but he always lets the same guy every year. He asked the first year and like others have said sends a x-mas card every year and it includes a report of how he did and what he saw. He also includes a small gift cert to a local restaurant, (which dad never cashs but clips to the fridge all the time) My dad refers to him as a friend now but Bob never misses a thank you.

As someone that has given permission to goose, duck, and pheasant hunters, I don't really feel it is necessary to offer a gift. I could care less. The best "gift" one can give me is to treat my property with respect, leaving it in about the same condition they found it. Open a gate, close it again. Garbage in, garbage out. If you must drive on my fields as when setting up decoys, etc., be gentle and respect my standing crops or non-crop lands that may hold other game.

Once I grant permission, just have a good time and I hope to see you again.

Bob

Once you get permission, cultivate a relationship with the land owner. If others are tresspassing and messing the place up, you dont want to be grouped with these slobs. Make sure they know who you are, and recognise your pickup. If you realy want to keep your access, pick up any garbage left by others, and tell the owner you are doing it.

Great advise SkipperT-- and Welcome To FishingMinnesota/HSO.com....great to have you with us!