• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

Fellow Archery Hunters--

This past weekend I took my second deer by bow! The best part about this was not the deer itself (which was small) but the fact that my nine year old son was with me and he was the one that called it in (at least we think that he did)! We saw some does early in the hunt that day--but they stayed there distance!

We sat for about two more hours when I told my son that he could use his call that he had purchased! Lo and behold we had a button buck come out and walk right at us! I probably would not have taken this deer, but the look on his face was priceless! We tracked it in the dark a nd we had so much fun together. I am adding a picture from the next morning and as you can see the smile was still on his face. I saw someone from this site had a quote on the bottom that said, "Take your kid hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kid!" From our time together in the woods I believe this to be true!

DeerHunting2006003.jpg

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• bigbucks

• Stratosman

• BLACKJACK

That is awesome my son is 3 1/2 and loves to watch Primetime Bucks instead of cartoons, He has his toy guns and a bow which the arrows have suction cups on them. But anyway I have taking him out 2 times this year bowhunting out of my ground blind and he tells me that we have to be quite or we will scare the big bucks away. The look on his face is priceless I love it just spending that time with him out there could'nt make a Dad feel more proud. Congrads and cherish those moments I know I do.

Thanks guys--you are right--it is so much fun to have your children with you! Our favorite is watching the outdoor channel--it is fun to see them get as excited about deer as cartoons! Good luck hunting to you all!

Thanks again!

Good job guys, nice buck nagly.

Bigpine, I dropped the string on one just like that at 7:06 this morning. I switched to anything antlerless mode this past weekend, as I've not had anything decent give me a shot all year. I was hoping to take one of the two does that were part of the group of five, but they'd all come from downwind & had finally gotten just enough scent that the does were on their way back out. One was close enough, but never presented a shot. Lots of antlerless tags, decided to take the bird in the hand. Had to get down by 7:30 anyway to come to work.

BigBucks--Congrats on your deer. I am very new to archery (this year) and I would love to get the "big one", but I have to say that getting a chance at a deer with the Bow is a rush! Again, Congrats on your deer and best of luck through the rest of the season!

Thanks, good luck to you too. I'm sure I'll get teased mercilessly by my hunting buddies for shooting bambi, but at this point in the season I couldn't care less.

Big Pine, awesome story. Glad to see you are passing on the fever to the next generation!

Great story bigpine, congrats. I had my first bow kill last night. Same size as yours, but what a rush. Will skip rifle season but keep scouting as me and my partner found two bucks in our area that would score 140 and higher. Thanks for all the posts as I learned alot from this site. Good luck and happy hunting.

beauty!!!, The best part is that you will remember that deer more than any deer you will harvest in a long time. grin.gif

This is my first season and my first deer.

He's a 7 point with an 11 1/2 inch spread. I hit him at about 15 yards and he ran about 100 yards. What a great season this has been! grin.gif

I shoot a fred bear epic extreme.

Buck.jpg

I did a little for wisconsins Deer management.. Doe, 28 yards, double lung she went about 50 yards and bounced off a tree hard a piled up. Probably my best shot I ever placed on a deer.

I posted #4 today (intensive harvest area). Nice 2 year old doe. A pefect heart shot, she didnt even go 10 yards.

Fresh venison for the table. Not a huge doe but a good sized eater shot at 15 yds Saturday evening. Good double lung hit and clean kill with a 4 blade Muzzy. Saw a nice 8 point both Saturday morning and Sunday evening but couldn't get him any closer than 50 yds. You gotta love the challenges of archery huntng. Congrats to all others scoring.

Finally got my EAB tag on Fri with a small doe, also got my first bowkill turkey that morning, a nice 20lb tom.

Went out yesterday all day and no deer til the last hour between me and my buddy who is sitting 70 tards from me we had nine bucks and 16 does running around crazy for 1 hour of last light and there were 2 mid 140 to mid 150 inch bucks in there and I had this goofy racked 7 pointer that we had seen a few times this year. He was hot on the trail of one of the does and I hit the buck growl and he stopped and came right over to me and gave me a qaurtering to me shot at 25 yards and the shot was perfect I took out the juggler both lungs and the top of the heart and he still went 60 yards he had a 17" spead and 11" G2's and a rough score of 132" for a 7 pointer. He was a great call buck, but I still can't believe he made it 60 yards. I have never being able to pull a buck away from a hot doe that buck growler call did just that.

Saturday morning I shot a decent buck. At about 7:30 I rattled in a nice 8 pointer, he never gave me a good shot and I passed after drawing back on him 3 different times. I noticed that he was heading down the bluff and he stayed roughly 30 yards from me in the brush. After he got below me I saw him go past, I waited 10 min thinking that this buck was trying to circle downwind, after 10 I hit the rattlebag and grunt call. He came in on a trot 3 minutes later and I missed due to a very small cedar branch. Bummer. Anyway, 10 min later, I saw a deer behind a tree line in a meadow probably 50 yards away down the hill. I hit the grunt call and got nothing, but I could still see the deers legs standing behind a cedar tree. I quickly pulled out the can and hit it 6 times real quick. A fork horn and what looked like a decent 6 came running up at me. I was thinkin about shooting the fork when I saw that this guy seemed to have bad genetics. I notice the bad antler on the left side. I quickly switched positions and shot him behind the rib cage quartering away.

I waited, couldn't find my arrow, and only heard him run for about 30 yards. I figured he hit the meadow or the hill road and was running to the other side of the bluff. I looked with my father in law for over 3 hours for the deer and we couldn't find much blood or the trail. My father in law was sitting on the other side of the meadow and probably would have seen the deer if he went across it. Long story short, we checked the meadow as a last resort. The deer ran down the bluff, then did a uturn and went straight back up the bluff for 50 yards and died. All and all, he was only 75 yards from where I shot it. My father in law then shot an 8 pointer that night with his gun, it was a great opening day, we saw lots of small bucks and one nice one. The deer dressed out at 170lbs. He was grey in the face and had been fighting, I figured maybe on his way down, he had a nice spread but was much younger than I thought he would be. Do you think he ever would have made a nice 8? Or do sixes usually stay sixes?

100_0374.jpg

Hear are the pics of my in laws and mine after we skinned them. It's always more fun to be in the woods with somebody, hunters really do get excited for each other.

100_0383.jpg

Nice deer, makes ya forget about the hoof shot one huh?...Antler sizes change year to year, genetics and nutrition do play a role in the development however.

Stratos, it eases the pain, but I'll never forget, that was a monster. However, this deer restored some of my confidence.

Great deer! Sounds like you are having great luck with the rattling antlers. Must be a high buck to doe ratio in your area?

Awesome deer! It is more fun to hunt with others! Good luck throughout the rest of the season!

Hopefully this works, This is a buck I shot Wednesday Evening in the 70 degree heat. Biggest bow kill to date. 19 inch inside spread and weighed 215 lbs!

Ok, Obviously I have no clue how to post an image. Can I email this image to someone?

Nice Buck!

I have helped do my part in herd managment this year by harvesting four mature does. They all went less than a hundred yards also so they were easy recoveries. That makes 13 for bow. I have been hunting since three with my dad and am hooked big time, and I get as excited as when I saw my dad shoot a deer for the first time as I do when I shoot one now at 16.

Tracey

i finally got one! a nice doe this morning. the shot wasn't the prettiest, but a quick second, took care of it.