• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

Hey guys and gals, I have been kind of mia from this board. Been doing alo of OT at work, hunting alot since our season started on oct 14th, went on a week trip to canada for walleyes(caught a ton of fish). Been hunting alot of mornings as I work 2nd shift. Been seeing alot of deer, probably 6 diff bucks. I shot a nice doe on opening morning, perfect double lunger. My dad shot a nice doe a few days ago. And tonite my dad shot a dandy of a 10 pt. This was his 87th archery kill and his best buck to date. Dads stand was inbetween two major bedding areas in a kind of browsing staging area. This buck came down a trail heading towards a fresh scrape. The buck gave him a 10 yards quartering away shot and dad put a muzzy stamp through the top of the heart. We followed a heavey blood trail for nearly 100 yards before we found the buck. Think I was more excited trailing the deer than him....

dsc00565ft4.jpg

dsc00567xy3.jpg

dsc00568ps1.jpg

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• bigbucks

• Stratosman

• BLACKJACK

Hey all,

Havent posted in a long time, but i have been out about a dozen times and seen a fair amount of deer, but got my first one in range last week. I had a doe and 2 little ones come in and i chose to shoot the bigger of the little ones. I didn't want to kill the doe away from the little ones. I also lucked out and it wasn't a button buck! It was a nice 10 yard shot and it went about 60 yards and then started to do the drunken stumble. It was great. First year bowhunting and my first kill.

David Frank - Im about the luckiest wide eye going - I have gotten to spend more time in the woods and on the water with my father over the past 30 years than anyone I know. And im very thankfull!!! Its kinda funny but we both would rather watch the other catch fish and shoot deer than do it ourselfs...

My father and I are the same way. I just don't think going on a hunting/fishing trip with dad will ever get old.

I agree with you guys about the fishing/hunting with parents. Its the highlight of the seasons. I grunted in a nice little 8 pointer last night, he came within 7 yards and milled around me last night for about 10 minutes before he looked up and decided that I wasn't normal. So now thats 3 six pointers and a little 8 that I passed up, I'm still looking for the wall hanger but I feel that time is starting to run out. Last night it was really hard not to draw back, but I knew that if I did, I wouldn't have the will power not to release the arrow. Its getting tougher not to because I haven't gotten a deer yet, but I'm really trying for QDM even though its on property the borders state land. I'm just hoping that maybe a couple of those make it through the next couple of weeks. The eight pointer would have been a real nice deer. Just not quite outside the ears and not quite the mass I'm looking for, he was very borderline, his times came out to his nose. He came right in to the grunt call. Where are the big boys, I'm seeing lots of scrapes and rubs and even some big prints. Are they gonna show up sometime in the next 7 days? Once firearms starts, I'm done and I know it.

Don't give up hope on finding that big boy. I agree with your assumption that the deer will become more wise once rifle season starts, but I also have seen some pretty dumb-in-love bucks during the rut in the past too. Maybe you will find one of those guys.

Congrats Dark Cloud on your buck.

Scottk

First off,Welcome to HSO/FM and congats on your Fiance's first buck.That is a very nice photo of her and her first buck.If you would like you can go to the Deer,Bear,Moose forum and then to the Photo Contest post and enter the photo to the forum.

Again,Welcome and we look forward to your future posts.

96 Hang in there. The best days of bowhunting are right before the gun opener. I killed the biggest buck of my life on the Thursday before opener. He was chasing a doe straight north with a strong south wind. Keep your sights set high.

Went out tonight and finally had a deer in range. Shot a button buck (what i thought was a younger doe) frown.gif at 20 yards. this is my second deer with a bow and all i can say is bow hunting is the greatest thing in the world. He walked right under my stand and turned slightly quartering away at 20 yards and made the shot and recoverd him about 70 yards away. Mabey im just not experenced enough but i swore it was a doe. Got the all season licence so i still got 2 more to go hopefully.

slopmaster, you dont have to feel bad about shooting a button buck!.. All animals taken with archery gear are trophys!

As far as being able to tell, soe times you can see the bumps on the head, sometimes you cant! A good pair of binoculars can help.

Hard to tell sometimes...especially when they are alone and nothing to reference body size to. Change that frown.gif into a laugh.gif because as DD stated any deer with the bow is a good one.

this is going to be funny......went out again last night same place but i sat in my ground blind about 70 yards up from where i shot that doe monday night. i had a great feeling that some deer would be coming down one of the 4 trails i set up by. gosh i was right, this big fawn came right on in so i ended up shooting her when she was about 10 yards away. the funny thing is that this fawn was the fawn of the mother i shot on monday, now i have the mother and her baby in my freezer, all i need is the big father to complete the family tree! so thats two deer in 3 days. this hunting thing is starting to get fun now. haha j/k

Isn't it funny that most guys say it was a big fawn after they shoot a fawn, I think it makes them feel better.Funny I think I may have said that a few times. My brother just says "for $14 you can't buy meat that tender". Or a nother one I like " I shot a small doe" they won't say it was a fawn.

I'm a fawn killer. Especially this year while participating in a city hunt. I started to think more about shooting fawns one morning on the stand and started thinking it is actually better deer management to shoot a few DOE fawns. Reason being that a doe fawn has a whole lifetime to breed and reproduce while an adult doe at any age is closer to her end and won't potentially have as many offspring as a younger deer might. Not sure if this is at all accurate but just a thought. I do agree people shouldn't sugar coat it if they shoot a fawn..."little doe" small doe" if it's a fawn just say so and don't feel bad cause ya killed a fawn. I don't. Just don't fling an arrow if you might regret later what you are shooting at.

Didn't mean to make myself look like a strictly fawn hunter. I just don't pass up easy shots on doe fawns. Almost forgot to post that I have filled out on does. I shot doe number 4 yesterday morning. And no it wasn't a fawn it was a younger looking adult doe. Long body with lots of meat on her just had young features. Definately not one I'd like to drag up and out again soon. Now I will wait for that 150" or better.

Matt, Doe or fawn well you are in the city hunt to cut down the deer herd and by the way great job on your deer you are helping to cut the herd. I have talked to several guys seeing deer with broken legs from cars it is hard to see but we must reduce the deer herd, Keep up the doe shooting this will help in years to come. I hope you get your big Buck? I hope every on has a shot at a big buck but is about being out with friends good luck to all smile.gif.

Jusr returned from NE ND on a combo whitetail or Muley hunt, had the time of our life, Deer every where shot my first muley, he was only a spiker but what a rush, shot it at 5 yrds, only 50 weeks until we return

Killed my first deer by bow on Saturday. 38 yard shot, 50 yard recovery. The Grim Reaper did it's job, taking out both lungs. Also passed up a spike and a forkhorn at under 10 yards. Gotta have some substantial horns to burn my buck tag. Ya gotta love bowhunting. So much more challenging than gun hunting.

Shot my first doe at the beginning of the month a nice doe of 120 # and shot myself a spike buck last night right towards dark. Was lokking to hold out a bit for a big boy but decided to go after the venison for the freezer. Perfect heart shot at 15 yards, the deer initially buckled then ran about 15-20 yards and tipped over dead. Man they go down fast when they are heart shot! I wish I could make that shot everytime! Got one doe tag left and the Wisconson season left for the year. Good luck hunting to you all!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I shot my first buck last Thursday near Remer, Mn. This is my first year bowhunting and it has been a blast. I had seem some does at about 5:30 that were out of range. Then at 6:10, I seen this deer about 80 yards away in the woods. Just like in the movies I had watched, I hit the bleet can once and the deer stopped on a dime and looked my way. After I hit the can the second time, he started trotting my way. He stopped about 20 yards away and I got a good shot on him. He ran about 200 yards and I heard him crash. Thats when the hard work started because I had no help to pull him out of the woods. Its just too bad he was missing his left main beam otherwise he would be on my wall. He tipped the scale at 224. Thanks to everyone for good info in all the posts because I have learned a lot from this site.

IMG_0917_1_1.jpgdeer5.jpg

Way to go nagly10!

Each time I come to the site I'm learning something new too-glad it paid off for you.