• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

Saw 17 deer total yesterday. Had only 2 shot opportunities. The first was nice doe that was almost 40 feet below me on a hillside. I stopped her with a soft bleat, and she looked right at me as I released. Not sure if my shot was a bit high or if she was just that quick, but it looked like she ducked right under that arrow as it cleared her back by a good 4 - 5 inches! blush.gif The second opportunity came on a young doe about 30 minutes later. She offered a nice broadside shot at 18 yards. Shot was again a bit higher than intended (3-4 inches), but still got both lungs, and she dropped right in her tracks.

Two for five so far, and if the deer keep moving like they did yesterday, we may have a freezer full of venison this year! grin.gif

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• bigbucks

• Stratosman

• BLACKJACK

...a deer.....a female deer.....

Hey. It kicked off my season. Got it on the second arrow.

Some take out the genetically inferior. I seem to focus on the dumb ones.

100 yard death run. All down hill.

Finally got my first deer. I shot her in east central ND just prior to the snow storm last wednesday. She came in about 15 yds next to me in some brush and then quartered away until I was able to stop her at just over 30yds where I put her down in her tracks. It feels good finally getting one and i can't wait now to try and fill my MN tag. doe2.jpg

So far this year i have Shot 2 Deer. On opening morning Sept 16th at 7:15 i had the 9 point below come through at about 8 yards. Double lunged and he made it 50 yards.

I got a new bow this year and it is nice not having the deer look up at you when you draw because you are so loud. I hade 3 deer spot me while drawing last year just because of the noise my old bow made. And i shot no Deer with my bow last year. That is why i shot the first one that came through this year.

On the morning of October 16th I shot a small doe about 8 minutes into shooting time. I made a good shot on her and i watched her go down about 30 yards from my stand.

Now i just have to try to get a deer on the 16th of November and December and i have that date covered this year.

9Point.jpg

Finally had it come together! Was on stand all of ten minutes last friday and had a big nine pointer come by. He had an eight and a six in tow right behind him. Shot him quartering away hard at twenty five yards. He went about sixty yards and dropped stone dead. Also got a yearling on Sat. for that oh so tender venison. Have one more tag but will start trying to set up my buddies for a good shot until later in the year.

Nice job guys, it's good to see some people are having good luck this year. I guess I used up most of mine the last two years, as this has been a slow one for me. Heading to WI for a 2 1/2 day hunt mid-morning tomorrow, getting pretty pumped.

My buddies fourteen year old brother shot a basket eight pointer a couple weeks ago for his first bow kill. The unbelievable part is he had the audacity to take pictures and video with his cell phone with the deer at thirty yards. He finally quit screwing around and made the shot.

Well I guess we know he was calm & under uncontrolled when he shot it anyway...

Got mine Thursday morning at Camp Ripley before 9 am. He was chasing his doe, and I got the drop on him. Went quite a ways, but had him out before 1 pm. Just to put him into perspective I am 300+ lbs, and he was a horse with antlers. He tipped the DNR scale at 170# dressed. DSC00755.jpg

Looks like good shot placement, was he quartering to you or was he just tougher?

He was just a tough animal. I may have been a little anxious to retrieve him, but I had to make the decision to back out and wait him out. The only thing that I was worried about was that he would be shot by another hunter, and I would have tracked him to a gut pile.

The rut has started in metro area. Two buck 300 yards out in cut corn field. Rattle bag and two blows on grunt call both came running in. First one a six pointer ran right in to 5 yards from me, Wack went a about 50 yard with a perfect heart shot. Nothing better then that. good luck everyone.

Nice deer guys!! I'm hunting Ripley this weekend then I have the next week off to bow hunt. Hopefully, I can get on the board here.

On a side note I took my 6 year old out for the first time on Friday night and we saw 4. One was nice buck, I think it was a 9-pointer that I posted on the trail cam pics. After we spotted the buck my son whispered to me, "Dad I'm so excited". I looked over at him and he was just shaking.

Even if I don't get one this year I think my season was made on Friday night.

shot a first yr doe, she weighed in 155lbs field dressed. i dont think i should say how i got her but im going to because its kinda funny. she was rght under my stand and i knew i wouldnt get a shot so i wanted to go after the neck, as soon as i shot she moved her licked herself. that means my arrow hit her right in the back of the head and went through it. she ended up running about 50 yards before i found her. i know it wasnt the way to go but i wanted to get one before i went on vacation.

Very nice deer for her, and a great catch for you! I hope you experience many happy years of hunting together in the future.