• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• bigbucks

• Stratosman

• BLACKJACK

I went out on Sunday evening...tried finding a partner but everybody was busy. Usually don't like going out alone but everything was perfect, wind, temp, time of day, confidence etc. etc. I snuck in real quiet and was in the stand by 3:45 - 4:00. Sat for about 2 and a half hours and saw a huge doe about 75 yards west of me and I am sitting about 75 yards inside the woods set up just north of a bean field hoping to catch a few staging deer. No luck with the big doe she moved west and away from me. About 30 min. later I hear more cracking etc. in the thicket and a small doe emerges. Right behind her is Mama. Nice size doe. Came out and I don't know what she saw but she looked right at me. She was doing the head bobbing thing trying to get me to move. Let's say that I usually don't use face paint but did this night and it worked. She did turn around and walked about three steps back in to the thicket. I swore I was busted and just then she turned around walked behind a patch of trees, I drew, she stepped into my shooting lane and I popped her. She dropped to the ground, got up fell again taking about 5-6 small saplings down with her, got up fell again, then got up and hobbled away into the thick brush. I could not believe it. I thought I spined her. Either way it was not the shot I was looking for. I think my arrow was deflected because when I looked at my arrow it was definetely a gut shot. It was dark by the time I started tracking so I called a buddy to bring out his spotlight and we tracked it until 10pm. She was circling around so much it was tough to track her. We flagged a good pile of blood and I was back at it at 7am. This was a deja vu from last year the same thing happened and never found that one. I tracked her right back to the first blood. Did a complete circle. At this point I thought we lost her. Then I went back to where I flagged it the night before and tracked back the other way and luckily found a very sparse blood trail going into the thick stuff and found her piled up probably 150 yards from my stand!!!! Absoleutely awesome. Ended up looking at where I shot her and it went through the guts and right through her leg bone. That is why she was hobbling so bad. MY FIRST BOW KILL AND I WAS PUMPED. It sure did smell nice when we dressed her. I will try to post pics of her when I can!! Love this sport!!!

Thats my buck above!!

Last Nov I was returning from hunting some state land and that guy crossed the road in front of me, then I found his right shed in Jan while snowshoeing. My trail camera has been out since may and has taken over 1000 pics but not one of this guy. So last sat I was hunting over a food plot of brassicis (from BLB) and corn/soybean mix. He steped out at about 5:40 about 45 yards upwind of me. I was able to get my vid camera going and he slowly made his way closer. After about 10 min (felt like two hours) he finally turned broadside at 25 yards. I made a good shot and he ran across infront of me and into the woods. I waited about two min and snuck down and ran abount a 1/4mile to where my buddy was filming my girlfriend hunt. We watched the film and decided to take up the trail abount 30 min after the shot. I couldn't find any blood at the site I went to where he entered the woods. I found his tracks and soon found blood. We followed the blood about 40 yards into the wood and there he was. We put him on the scale before gutting him and he was 290lbs. The biggest deer of my life so far!!

Congrats Camdu!!! That is one awesome deer!!! Where in Minnesota were you hunting?? Central, Southern, Northern???

Congrats on your first bow deer. I'm glad you found her.

I'd go back & see if there's possibly a branch or two you missed that you could trim out around your stand. I've had that happen before though when I literally couldn't find anything that looked in the way. It's possible you got excited & did something out of form, been then done that too.

Congrats again, nothing like that first deer with the bow, but all the other ones are a blast too.

I shot that buck near Willow River where I'm living these days. I never did weigh him after we dressed him, I was in such a hurry to have some beers and get him skun out to cool off. I think I need a bigger string loop. I could hardly attatch my release I was shaking so bad.

Oberg,

You and I put that stand up there a couple years ago. 2 years and 2 deer....too bad I only recoverd 1. I will call you soon. Darn work getting in the way again, haha

Here's a pic of the doe I got Sunday. Was watching a fork buck about 18 yards away, when he winded me, he couldn't fiqure out were the scent was coming from, and bolted when he heard something in the nearby soybean field. I looked up and this doe was standing there out about 40 yrds. watched her for about 20 minutes when she came in closer for a 18 yrd shot.

DSC00293.jpg

Got my first deer ever one week after opener. It was a nice doe at 15 yards (didn't stand a chance). It still managed to run about 50 yards though, easy trail to follow since I double lunged her. Very impressed with the Rages. All three opened on impact and passed through her like she was paper. smile.gif

I've got two on the ground so far for the city of Duluth. Hopefully I'll lay down two more before the end of the month. Then I'll have three months to worry about the 6 P&Y bucks that were on my last batch of trail cam pics (pics that I will post soon in the trail cam thread). Below is a pic of my first one for the season (a potential P&Y much before his prime) and first with my new bowtech. My old bow blew up the day before opener so I scrambled to get a new bow and get it dialed in.

s5030551vp4.th.jpg

heres a question for all of you........i shot at another doe and hit her from 25 yards didnt drop at all just took off running. found the arrow and it had blood all over. honestly i couldnt find a blood trail at all. what the heck?? the shot was right above the heart but i looked every place and still couldnt find a trail. i looked around to see at the sport where she went in the woods and still no blood. i heard alot of movement in the woods so i thought that it was her layen down. i looked for another hr and still couldnt find her or blood. i dont know what to think but i know im going to find her some time after work tomorrow. any ideas of what i can do?? thanks!

Is this private land?

Do you have a dog?? If so, take it for a walk.. Seriously.

If you are hunting an area that is not occupied by other hunters, put some orange on the dog and bring it with.

Pretty amazing how the old Lab can find things like a deer.

Or else gather up some friends. I know I am ready for a call from a bud if they have a deer down.

Tough deal to lose a deer. 2 years ago I shot one that went down at impact. 5 seconds later it jumped up and took off like a shot.

I had my Dad, Bro in law and my dog out there, but never did find her. Still sux to this day. I hate losing any game.

Maybe not the suggestions you were looking for, but in times of frustration, it can't hurt to get some support.

ya its all private land and im the only one who hunts the area. i did also have some friends out there with me looking for her. i know shes dead but its just where?? i never put this down because its kinda funny but when we went into the a certin part of the woods then you can smell something bleeding. if that makes any sence?? then we kept on walking and the smell just went away, then it came back again in another 20 yards. maybe we where in the area but just couldnt see her because of the tall grass and weeds. thanks for the info.

I didnt see the shot but sometimes when you hit a deer a little high above the heart lung area and the entrance and exit holes are high a deer will travel a long ways before it will leak blood.We had one last weekend that the hunter was sure he hit it well and was hit approx 8 inches high,no blood for 100 yards and then only three drops.We found her approx 30 yards from where she was shot as she had doubled back.We let her lay for 2 hours before we tried again to find her just in case she wasnt hit well.

Probably the best thing you could do is to get 6-10 guys and walk the area in a line fairly close together and go back and forth.If you hit her as hard as you stated then the deer could be pretty close.I had a doe run almost 250 yards once with a double lung hit,they can travel a long ways.You never know.

Congrats. What part of Hastings? It's that I see you are from Wyoming, wonderin if you know someone down here.

Oh and congratulations to all of you that hare having sucess so far....

harveylee is probably right, the blood is pooling in the cavity because of the high hit. In that case, you need to look higher for blood spots, look for spots where it rubbed against grass, leaves, etc. If the doe was running thru alot of grass, there should be something to see. Remember to mark your blood spots so you can figure out a line of travel. Check any major creek crossings, trails, or funnels within 150 yards for blood spots.

Good luck!

First, Congrats to all successful bowhunters so far and to those who will be soon. Every bow-deer is a trophy in my book!

I like Mr. Matt am also hunting in the Duluth City Hunt. Had a hot week last week; Monday morning at 6:50 or so, shot a doe fawn at 20 yards or so, she went 25 yards and dropped, down for good in 16 seconds. 10 minutes later as I was prepping to get down and hit the blood trail, I see a mature doe standing 30 yards away watching me. Unfortunately, I only had one bonus tag and am saving my regular tag for a buck so she walked. I video taped the blood trail and it was awesome and SHORT! Thursday morning, I rattled a bit, 10 minutes later a spike comes in, rubs a tree, wanders in to 25 yards and beds down. Two does follow him in and the larger of the two beds down within sight at 30 yards. I stood as still as possible, while working the video camera quietly, for 2+ HOURS, the spike facing my direction the whole time. Finally the larger doe gets up and begins to feed, the second doe comes back in, the spike gets up to feed, coming closer to my tree, the two does get together to groom a bit, then start feeding. The smaller doe passes through my shooting lane at 25 yards, the larger doe follows and my arrow hits her when she pauses. She went 20 yards and dropped within sight. 15 seconds from shot to down. I got the shot on video and video'd the blood trail as I did with the first doe kill this year. The arrow hit her a bit high, passed through the shoulder blade, both lungs and took a major artery off the top of her heart. When I got to the hit spot to find my arrow, I noticed that the nock was missing and the nock end of the arrow was cracked indicating that it had hit something hard (the shoulder blade). I found my nock later and it did not pass through the deer with the rest of the arrow. I have been using the G5 Montec 100 gr for a few years now and they have produced awesome blood trails, same with these two deer. After close inspection of both broadheads, there is no visible damage, the tips were still needle sharp after passing through the deer. They have been resharpened and are ready to shoot again.

This is the first year where I've had two deer in the freezer before October! Lemme tell ya, the first meal of tenderloins.....best food I've ever cooked! Best of Luck to all!

Hey Tom, congrats on the second deer. I finally got a shot tonight and made it count! It was a little back further than I would have liked, but it did the job, the little doe didnt even make it 50 yards! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Its not a big deer by any means, but it is the first on my new switchback, and she will be goooood eatin!

doe_2006.jpg