• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• bigbucks

• Stratosman

• BLACKJACK

Way to go big pine.Many times a guy will start bow hunting and after a kill or two he will only bow hunt.Alot of guys stop gun hunting as the challenge is not the same.

Posting this pic of my brother, and the doe he shot sunday night. "Shot doe at 15 yards, only ran about 45, and died. Was using Rage 2 blade broadheads, and would highly recommend, just look at the exit would on this deer! our does came in from downwind of me, and stayed downwind the entire time(scent blocker payed off). I videoed these does for 20 mins before I took the shot. The left side of deer in picture is showing the exit wound, the entrance wound was a little bigger".

Thats his story.

bendoeua5.png

Anybody any suggestions? Shot a Doe last night right at the end of any light, about 7:30. Went out first thing this morning and found the blood trail. Trail started out very sparse and then just when it got a lot bigger (much more blood) I have lost the trail and I cannot find this deer. I am 6 feet and the brush in this area is up to my chin in many spots. Bright red blood, I thought it was a good lung shot and still do but the last blood is a good 125-150 yards away from where I hit this deer.

I thought having my schedule of mondays and tuesdays off was good until I realized now I have no help tracking. Had my kids out this morning but they had to go o school. Darn education.

I know everyone loses one sometime and this wasn't a trophy by any means, but this would be my first lost deer.

Also, how long do you all think I have until it goes bad in this weather? I live in Hugo and its been pretty cool but its |Sunny today and suppossed to warm up.

Thanks

Got my first kill with a expandable broadhead last night. I felt it did a great job puting the deer down with in 40 yards of my stand, no tracking when you can see them fall. I said I would never use a Expandable but after reading lots of info and talking to others, I had to try,plus next week we head to the black hills SD, and you need to be able to make 40-50 yard shots sometimes. As for the guy with the tracking problem make sure the deer didn't back track I've seen that a few time, and check tall grass areas near buy or swamp grass.

Two First bow kills.

A fellow FM'er SCCO9803 and I along with one other buddy came out of opening weekend 2/3. It was his first bow kill as well as mine. It took me 2 1/2 seasons of mistakes to get my first bow kill. (Archery is a whole different game than rifle hunting) grin.gif

Neither deer were huge but we were both beyond happy with the outcome. Now it's time to hunt for a buck!

small06us0.jpg

Got my second deer ever on Monday night with one of my kids with. I moved 3 times before I was happy with the setup. We ended up on a large blown-over oak, in a funnel, next to a lake.

After 3 hours a doe and 2 fawns showed up. I asked the kid if he wanted me to shoot it or should we just watch.

He said, "Shoot it, what are you waiting for, shoot!" So if one came close enough I would take it. The doe and one of the fawns started to get down wind, but the other fawn came perfect broadside at 15 yards. Wack! It ran about 30 yards and tipped over. He was so excited he was shaking for a half an hour. He's 6. It will be a favorite memory of mine for a long time.

248570501_7e6941f089_m.jpg

I got 3 tonight. 3 coons that is. grin.gif I shot the first one at 10 yards with a Montec G-5 he ran about 5 yards. A little bit later here comes another one. Came in 10 yards shot it with a Muzzy and it ran around 30 yards. Then right at dark a HUGE coon came in probably a 30 pounder. Shot it at 20 yards broadside. It dropped at the shot then got up and ran I blood trailed it for 200+ yards and then the blood ran out. I watched my lumenock go right behind its shoulder. I never realized how strong coons were.

coonswithbowsy0.jpg

Way to go Gus, congratulations on your 1st archery kill. I remember the first time like it was yesterday! I believe there is more sport in archery than lining up the sight and pulling the trigger. That is my two cents though.

Who is that guy in the middle of the picture? He looks very familiar- fellow UMDer right?

Well I will report my 2006 kill. Too bad there was no recovery. I spent 7-8 hours from sun-up this morning searching for this doe.

Well the good news is there is a lot more season left.

Good luck to all.

Thanks for putting that up Gus.

I must say it was a blast hunting together and a great learning experience. Glad to be part of the bowhunting gang!

CaptinBRK,

The guy in the middle is a fellow UMD'er and my cousin. Last year he got his first bow kill while we were hunting together. That was a huge rush for me even though he shot it. It's all part of the excitement of bowhunting with great people.

Snapcrackpop, Great photo and story! I can't wait to get my little guy out. He's only 4 weeks old though so I have some time to wait.

Nice job young gun, keep thinning the population. I shot one through the body with a field tip last fall. It went through, but the arrow didn't fall out. The coon ran off skewered, we never found the coon or the arrow.

The one I shot through the head just kind of stayed right there however...

Nice job snapcrackpop, are you sure that's a fawn? Maybe it's the camera angle, but that head looks awfully long to be a fawn, it even looks pretty long to be a yearling to me.

Definately little.

Might have been distortion due to camera angle.

But a trophy of a time/memory!

249238789_914e61ddce_m.jpg

Okay obviously you're right, but as fawns go it's a pretty nice one. Still a trophy, they're all fun. I shot one about like that a couple of years ago by itself, longer head & legs, I thought it was a yearling. It sure tasted great.

I took a fawn about the same size with my bow opening morning of firearms season last season when I thought it was a yearling. They can be quite big come November - especially with the right food sources.

Since then, I've gotten pretty good at separating fawns and yearlings in later season (and early) by the shapes of their bodies. You can draw an imaginery square box around the body of a fawn in most cases. They are pudgier and more stout. You can drawn an imaginery rectangle around the body of a yearling or mature doe. It seems the bigger they get, the longer their bodies do as well as their faces/noses. Yearlings also look like they're growing into mature bodies if you know what I mean. They sometimes look disproportionate - head to body, etc.

Fawns and yearlings get harder to tell apart as the season goes on. If they are born June 1, by Sept 15 they are 3 1/2 months old. By the end of Dec, they are 7 months old, they've doubled in age, and with good nutrition available - corn, soybeans, acorns, by Dec they can be hard to seperate from yearling does, unless they are with bigger does. By Dec, if I still have a doe permit available, I'll shoot a fawn - tasty eating!

Got my first doe of the year on Friday night at maybe 7 yds. Had to hold my draw for at least 2 minutes. Arm was killing me be the time i could shoot. Good practice for the monster buck. She didnt go anywhere, made for an easy tracking job.

Got my first doe tonight or the year, she was about 30yds out time of the shot but had about a 100yds tracking job hit alittle hi and back, liver shot mostly but all in all a good night cant wait for the jerky and sausage.

Shot a coyote last night! Was set up in a ground stand in a patch of willows, saw the coyote coming at about 70 yards, I'm thinking that its 'exam time', got my bow up, started pulling back, he saw me and stopped, he was looking right at me, I held still for about a minute, he started walking again, when he got past me, I drew back, he stopped again and looked at me, and I nailed him. He yipped and then ran off about 60 yards and piled up, kind of looked like my arrow stuck in him. It was 6:59 and I had about 35 minutes of daylite left so I sat where I was at until full dark, no deer. frown.gif Then I walked over to where the coyote had piled up - no coyote!!! (Contact Us Please)!! Went back to the start and found the blood trail, couldn't find the arrow, and never did find the coyote. It was an alfalfa field, he should have stuck out like a sore thumb. frown.gif If hes not dead hes hurtin for certain, it was a pretty soldid 'thunk' and quite a bit of blood.

Does anybody know if their hides would be prime enough to keep? I've always wanted to shoot a coyote or fox, get it skinned and tanned, and hang it on the wall.

I'm not knowing for sure, but I'm guessing they aren't really prime yet. It's been fairly warm.

However, take a look at my stupid avatar and you'll see that I really don't know all that much.