• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am really sorry for the loss of the horse in the Ely area attacked by a Mountain lion. Nature has it's course but this sad..
Thanks for posting the pic Matt! She was a great site to witness my wife and I thought of it as the best part of our trip. little did we know smile.gif
Tim

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

www.todaystackle.com

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 03-22-2004).]

after reading these posts it remided me of the days, a few years ago in the minnesota river valley from redwood falls to sacred heart where me and my uncle would go buggle and do preator calls on moon light nights on a hill. fun time and yes we have seen lions down that far. But anyways, when trying to understand preators and wolves, it is sometimes hard to deal with them as we encorach upon their territory. But any hoo, everyone, if you like nature, and are intrested in wolves, be it like them or hate them, please read the book by Farley Mowat, "Never cry wolf" don't watch the movie, read the book. I hate reading but found this book impossible to put down, and it was a very easy read as well, and boy did i learn a lot about wolves and was throughly entertained!!
Let me know what you think about the book, its one of my favorites!

Looperhunter:

Read the book, saw the movie. Each was spiritual in its own way.

Books do some things better than movies, and movies do some things better than books.

In the end, the book, of course, is the better of the two treatments, because it had more patience for Mowat's thesis, not needing to excite a box office crowd. I liked how the movie preserved the self-deprecating humor of the book, and I loved the stunning cinematography, but missed the thoughtful treatment of Mowat's prose.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Well, all said I think one thing is clear. If snakes and wildcats had middle fingers......Back to my ? . What cats are protected in MN? Any? A citizen has a right to protect one's property but I'd hate to see a witch hunt evolve. Wonder if changes are in the wind with predator hunting in the Northland. Man, politics strike again!

chunk

Though I do think it is sad what happened to the horse, I would hate for one incident to get blown out of proportion. Though I don't really want to run into a lion on a trail, I do find it kind of intriguing that they are around and would love to see one someday. Maybe after this incident horse owners can take some kind of precautions to try and avoid this happening again. Hopefully there is a way for man and lion to coexist without having to resort to killing everything off like we did a hundred years ago.

Not many can say they tangled with one of the big cats, but as a teen I can say I did. Even though I can't imagine tangeling with a wild one, my neighbor had a cougar for a pet and he was one big cat! shocked.gif I can remember trying to wrestle with him, and though declawed and domestic bred he was still a big bad kitty and he would toss even me like a rag doll.. he could pull a grown man through the sand on the beach like water skiing. It sure was funny to see the neighbors as we walked him (or he walked us) shocked.gif
Though beautiful, they have their place, surely not as pets (the city of Duluth made sure of that) frown.gif but when they get too close to man and his soceity? There is bound to be trouble sad as it is. What they should to do is live trap them and relocate them to a different area before the possy is formed and things get out of hand.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

www.todaystackle.com

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 03-23-2004).]