• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My fishing partner and I went out Sunday trying to make contact with fish. The trolling with spoons is starting to cool off. We started working through our crankbaits and started getting some hits but no fish. So we started to down size and try differant colors. Oh is that a weed? Your lure is on the surface! No, it's a Walleye! grin.gif This started happening over and over again. Don't get me wrong sometimes it was weeds. grin.gif At the end of the day we had boated and released 25 walleyes, 4 Northerns, 1 dogfish and 1 Crappie. Some of the fish came from Teetonka and some from Gorman Lake.

I went to Gorman today with my better half. We started off with the down sized baits and picked up some Eyes but lost 3 big fish. After up sizing we no longer had a problem with Walleyes hitting all the time. grin.gif We ended up with 3 Northerns (1 over 27"), 5 Walleyes and 4 dogfish (2 over 8lbs). One of the Dogfish jumped clear of the water 3 times, took the line under the boat twice and completely distroyed my lure (I did lose two lures to the jaws of dog fish today).I must have lost 5 more Dogfish. It is tough to get a hook in that bone plated head of a Bowfin.

The water is around 70-75 degrees in some places and I'm finding that short burst at 3-3.5 mph will trigger strikes. All fish but 1 came from 8-11' of water. Most came from the down wind side of the lake on the out side edges of inside turns (Or points near inside turns).

I would tell you what I was using, but I think it will be my ace in the hole for the Teetonka get-together. Look out Matt. I'm going for the biggest Dogfish grin.gif.

Gotta love them dogfish! Ferocious fighters, and sometimes you even think you have on a bass grin.gif

Cut the line I say! I don't even like touching those things....yuck! blush.gif

Catching a dogfish is a bit like Larry the Cable Guy checking out some hot babe in a bar, only to find out it's a guy..... Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" comes to mind.... wink.gif

We took the day off to recuperate after our daughters wedding.

Cut the line, no-way man! I'll take a good fight like that any day. That is why I'm out there. You can keep thoughs Walleyes, as i said; it was hard to tell the walleyes from the weeds. Any way, do you know the cost of a crankbait? Cut the line, I don't think so.

The way I see it. I have a untaped resource of fish over 8lbs all to myself.

I did go to Tetonka today. 1 Northern at 25.5", 4 Eyes (2 16" and 2 12"). No Dogfish! Not bad for 2.5 hours of fishing. I put them all back in the lake.

Water surface temp was 77 Degrees.

I can see retrieving your crankbait, but I usually get them lindy rigging, which I make my own anyway, so I just cut the line...only lose a hook. I've never fished Gorman and I've only fished Tetonka once in my life, but even if I did fish them frequently, those dogfish would be allllll yours! smirk.gif I don't want any part of them. smirk.gif I know they fight hard though, I've cut loose a few before. blush.gif

Gorman is a little low right now. My motor hits bottom before I get to the landing and you could hit bottom on the big bar.

You sound like me and Washington. I fished it once, I have no need to go back. I did hear of 17" sm bass though. If I have a lake to myself I'm as happy as I can get. Do you think that could happen on Washington?

Matt

Bass don't get that big. Not even in this part of the state smile.gif.

Quote:

Bass don't get that big. Not even in this part of the state
smile.gif

Yeah, I thought I had the state record on numerous times grin.gif