• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose hunting 10 vs 12 gauge

OK. Just about ready to make my decision. I will be buying a new shotgun but cant decide on a 10 or 12 gauge. It will be mainly for goose. and where I hunt its hard to get them to land into the decoys. So yes I am basically sky busting. So my question is. Does the 10 gauge actually pack that much more of a punch then a 12? or is it about the same? also would you suggest the 10 or 12 gauge?

With the newer high performance waterfowl loads available both the ten and twelve gauge three and and half shells can put over two ounces of shot into a pattern with similar shot velocities. The biggest differance is the weight of the guns, the ten gauge will usually be an extra couple of pounds compared to a twelve gauge. If you don't have to carry the gun around, and are going to do a lot of shooting the extra mass of the ten will soak up alot of recoil and be much easier on your shoulder.

although I am not familiar with what kind of goose hunting you are doing, let me make one little suggestion/comment on skybusting geese. The more you and others in the area you are hunting skybust the more you will educate the geese and the harder they will be to kill in the future. Change the way you set your decoys or your calling, but get the geese in close enough to kill before you shoot. Geese in the wild can live over fifteen years and they will remember where they got shot at and what the decoy spread looked like, It can help to be mobile and change your set up from time time.

Quote:

Geese in the wild can live over fifteen years and they will remember where they got shot at and what

I dont think it happens to many geese, theyre usually shot by age 4-5, from what I've heard.

anyways on the 12 or 10 gauge, I think the 12 gauge is as good as the 10 gauge but like Mech said--10 ga is heavier and I wouldnt want to be carry that thing. I dont know what makes the 10 ga better than 12, I guess more power. confused.gif

12 guage 3 1/2. Great gun for both goose and duck hunting. You say MOSTLY gonna be used for goose, but why have a different gun? You can use a 12 3 1/2 for both birds.

I would suggest staying with at 12 ga. Like previously mentioned, if you're going after mainly geese you can shoot some 3-1/2's if you want. I use 3" for everything, 10 ga. are overkill in my opinion. Just my two cents. What brand/model you looking at?

12 ga would be the way to go, use 3 1/2 for geese if you want, but have the ability to pop some ducks with it also. If you ever travel its far easier to find 12 ga shells than 10's at smaller places, trust me, been there done that with my 16 ga out pheasant hunting.

As mentioned before though try changing tactics or decoy spreads to get the birds in closer

With 10 gauge you will obviously have a higher pellet count. Your shot string will also be more compact rather than drawn out, this will help by putting more pellets on the bird at time of impact. I would go with the 10 if I were you considering your doing some far shooting. If youre shooting honks over decoys no reason to go with anything bigger than a 12, you could shoot a 20 and still kill em.

Goose hunting and shooting longer shots....10ga. Most people are not vary good at long shots and the pattern and shot sting will be better withthe 10. the 3-1/2 12 gets about the same shot out, but it is more constricted and isnt as effective as the 10ga. I stay with my 3" hevyshot and will kill snow geese out 90+ yards and drop canadas out 80 yards.

I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg 935 auto that has the 10 gauge barrel diameter (.775) and shoots great patterns like a 10 gauge.

And with the same ounces of shot as a 10, going out at 1550fps, it's a goose killing machine! Shot lots of snow last spring with that gun! And they weren't 30 yards out, more like 50-60 yards. That gun doesn't shoot wimpy trap loads, but thats for them pretty shiney Citori's, no problems with the gun either! Shot around 2 cases through it so far! shocked.gif

i'm not an expert on loads etc but i own both. I shoot a nova 12 and a bps 10. There is no comparison to which is better for geese. My 10 has much better killing power. I think it is because of the larger pattern a 10 can throw. Many people say that the new loads for 12 is the same as a 10. they are not. I have a few friends here that shoot 10s just for geese cuz there is no comparison. I paced off two birds last year 1. 62 yds 2. 68 yds. (probably some drift in there) both were stoned-looked like a pillow being blown up. but they are right, my 10 is heavy and the shells are expensive.

Ive shot geese with a Mossberg 3-1/2 with hevyshot and had no problem with killing geese.I usually dont do to much skybusting but have shot a few at long distances and was impressed.This gun has been very good but it does kick like a mule.

If money isnt a problem,then I would probably go with the 10 for that little extra for skybusting.All a guy does is buy more guns for each situation.More toys is good.

Kind of like fishing rods,you can get buy with a couple but its nice to have one for every specie. smile.gif

Well boys, I have had all the 31/2" 12 gauges built except the 1187 Supermag

I have also have had near a doz. 10 gauges.

I have shot a train car load of geese with a 10Ga and quite a few with a 31/2" 12 Ga.

NO! 31/2" 12 Ga will run with the 10Ga when it comes to pattern, except the Mossburg 835 or 935.

They are the only true over bore 12

Trust me when I tell ya, The 10Ga is "KING" when it comes to large shot sizes and big bodied geese.

The 10 has a bigger bore and there is less squeezing through the choke, which leads to less flyers and a shorter shot string.

The 12 ga 31/2" is a fine all around gun but it isn't no 10 Ga!

Oh! and yes I have two SBE's, a SX-2, A 935 and a couple of SP10's

I have also had Browning golds, Citori, BPS, Franchi, Beretta's all in 31/2"

I have had the Browning Lite 10 and BPS 10 too, along with several Ithaca Mag 10s.

If your going to shoot everything with one gun?

Buy a 31/2" 12

If your going to shoot lots of geese and late season big ducks and divers only, buy the 10

i shoot a 870 supermag and a bps 10. ishot a 10ga for a long time and i bought my 870 last year along with my 10. i used my 10 and 12 both last season and the killing power of the 10 is noticable consierably!! if you are going to shoot just waterfowl buy the 10 ,or do you want a gun that shoots everything if so buy the 12.

All this talk about sky busting. I suggest you buy a single shot 20 ga. so you get used to hunting with the right calls, the right decoy set up and the right camo.

I promise you will harvest more birds with a single shot after you learn the above then you will "sky busting." Its MORE fun too seeing the legs drop into your spread.

Other hunters, including myself, absolutely hate skybusters on public land or public water -rivers who can ruin a hunt for others.

-Not trying to be a jerk here; just advice!

remington 1187 special in the 3" i dont really like the 3 1/2" had one b4

Quote:

All this talk about sky busting. I suggest you buy a single shot 20 ga. so you get used to hunting with the right calls, the right decoy set up and the right camo.

I promise you will harvest more birds with a single shot after you learn the above then you will "sky busting." Its MORE fun too seeing the legs drop into your spread.

Other hunters, including myself, absolutely hate skybusters on public land or public water -rivers who can ruin a hunt for others.

--------------------------

Hey, just who the HE..double hockey stick said anything about "SKY BUSTING?????

Maybe you need to take a lesson in "MANNERS"

I sure the heck hope I don't have to have someone with your additude try to rune my hunt

Oh by the way, I'll one ya up, I let them get real close, line them up and arkansas them....Is that close enough?

Quote:

The 12 ga 31/2" is a fine all around gun but it isn't no 10 Ga!

Oh! and yes I have two SBE's, a SX-2, A 935 and a couple of SP10's

I have also had Browning golds, Citori, BPS, Franchi, Beretta's all in 31/2"

I have had the Browning Lite 10 and BPS 10 too, along with several Ithaca Mag 10s.

Hey jig,

Why have you bought so many different guns? Do you own a gun shop or what? Looks like you have never been happy with the guns that you have been buying? confused.gif

[quote

Hey, just who the HE..double hockey stick said anything about "SKY BUSTING????? Maybe you need to take a lesson in "MANNERS"

This is a copy from the very first post:

"It will be mainly for goose. and where I hunt its hard to get them to land into the decoys. So yes I am basically sky busting."

That is where it originated. By the way, I don't care for sky busters either. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Hey duckslayer you beat me to it. I was going to put up the same quote. crazy.gif

I sort of look at it this way. I don't get to hunt all the time, or everyday in prime conditions. The later you get in a season the less likely you are going to get birds to fully commit. Early season you can shoot all the geese you want with a 12 gauge 3 inch. Later days you might struggle. In those situations pack the biggest gun you've got confidence and let er buck out to the range you're comfortable in. Just make sure to take shots that you think you've got a high percentage of geese hitting the ground, even if it's out to 60+ yards.

The best way figure out "Your" effective distance is to try and double up with flocks of geese. Meaning if they are only going to get into 40 yards, drop that first one and then take a poke at the others as they are getting out of dodge. At that time they've already become hip to the game and aren't coming back, so what do you have to lose. You'll surprise yourself how far some gun/shell combinations will effectively reach. Note this doesn't mean taking pot shots the first time the geese get within 65 yards, and doing this everytime. That's a rookie manuever and we wear caps and sleeves at this level son.

Let the birds work, and if they've become educated drop the hammer on a long shot if you think you can make it. You can usually tell by the first few flocks in a morning. If they stay out on the fringe, take a hike to the truck and get out the big guns. It just might be the difference in getting a goose in the pot.

I agree with DuckSlayer and tealitup,

I don't care if people skybust all they want, but when there's other hunters around working the birds with dekes and calling and someone takes a whack at 'em when they're coming your way, it's pretty hard not to get aggravated. I'm not saying you other guys do that or that the birds are 100% for sure coming to the dekes, but if you look at it that way I think you can understand what tealitup was saying. We all love hunting waterfowl, we should be attacking Rosie O'Donnell or PETA, not each other.

This is the deal, many guys think every duck on the lake is "ONLY" looking at their decoys.

You best not dare take a shot at them or they will be yelling (even shooting) at you.

I'm VFE for a waterfowl site, I can tell ya, waterfowlers are the most divided, self centered hunters/outdoors people on the planet.

EVERYBODY IS A EXPERT

I blame it on less and less places to hunt ducks and geese and the ME, ME generation, who thinks they ALWAYS! have to out do the other guy(materialistic sons a bee). I try my best to hunt where there is zero! chance of running into anybody eles.

I go out to hunt and enjoy myself, not fight and argue.

and I'll be damed if I'll ask anybodies permission to when I can pull the trigger.

Hunt on public land and water, you should expect not everybody is going to hunt the way you or the other guy hunts(sky busing to some is not to others)

If you don't want to contend with sky busters, buy some land/duck water and hunt there, otherwise go to that public water and expect others who hunt different then you.

everyone seems to have an opinion on the 12 ga vs. the 10 ga debate...personally, I feel that if you have the means, go ahead and buy a 10 to strictly use for late season geese. If you're only gonna have one shotgun for everything, get a 12 gauge.

Skybusting is another issue that plagues the waterfowling world--the fact is that there are always going to be slobs, and that goes for every activity imaginable (fishing, snowmobiling, jetskiing)...in a perfect world these slobs wouldn't exist but the fact remains that they do. All you can do is take each situation as it comes and if possible get them nailed by the CO for some kind of infraction.

I'm sure everyone here has experienced a hunt or two that was ruined by slob "hunters"... no doubt it sours the experience but all you can do is try to forget about it and focus on the next outing.

SA/wdw

i mentioned a couple replies ago that i shot two over 60 yds. Just cuz i said that doesn't mean i skybusted. They were about 20 ft off the ground skirting outside my dekes. Too many people jump to conclusions here. I hate skybusters!! I took those shots cuz i knew i could hit them-- especially using my 10. Simple as that. I watch people shoot at ducks here so high that the birds don't even flare. That is skybusting. Someone mentioned confidence earlier. That is absolutely the key!

Quote:

i mentioned a couple replies ago that i shot two over 60 yds. Just cuz i said that doesn't mean i skybusted

Verg- I dont know if that is true but I am not pointing at you, Just saying that alot of people judge the distance wrong.. I have seen people say thats about __ yds and its alot closer than it really is. Did you walk it off or did you guess? But thats a heck of a shot! smile.gif

like i said in my post, i paced it off. I also said that i think you have to account for drift in there too. If you don't believe-fine by me. Just stating. My dog retrieved both birds and i jsut happened to notice where the feathers stuck to ground where they landed. And you are right, geese are very hard to judge, distance and speed. they are so big they look close. And, their wing speed is slow so it looks like they are loafing when they are actually cruising. In truth, i wouldn't have shot at those had i known the actual distance. I knew they were a little out there, but i have confidence in my shooting. I didn't know they were THAT far. That is why i say a 10. At that distance there was great impact. I also have to say that how a gun fits you is important. My 10 is heavy and long. I am 6'6 tall and weigh way over 200 lbs. It really fits me perfect.

I didn't see that part you said you paced it off...but like I said, its a heck of a shot! smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------------

Hey, just who the HE..double hockey stick said anything about "SKY BUSTING?????

Maybe you need to take a lesson in "MANNERS"

I sure the heck hope I don't have to have someone with your additude try to rune my hunt

Oh by the way, I'll one ya up, I let them get real close, line them up and arkansas them....Is that close enough?

I do not think that I was out of line when a post specifically stating that skybusting is the reason why I want a big gun. It is very nice that you have your own property to hunt, as well do I - but we all have friends that want to hunt a certain area; maybe I want to hunt a CAN or BULL and need to go to an area that is only public where I can get one of those.

By you saying that my attitude is terrible is something else. How many times have we all had shot poor down our hats because someone does not think "oh, there is a hunter over there maybe I should not shoot." OR how many times have you had a flock deadset (we all know when a flock is committed) and someone from accross the slu or lake that just 'goes for it' and takes a shot.

How many times do you see birds 100-200 or even 300 yards where someone skybusts.

My suggestion was to simply become better and your hunting technique better instead of thinking I need a bigger gun so I can take longer shots. I would offer the same advice if you were a friend or someone that I met on a website for other hunters who are willing to take advice (since a post asked for advice).

Now Jiganator - very sorry if I offended you, but if you look closely without pre judgement you will see I was offering advice NOT judgement.