• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nukem if you see us give us a shout, we will be in a white and blue striped Smokercraft.Heres to a 5 to 10 mph winds,and a cloudy day.

Good luck wink.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lakewood

• lilgreek

• Jason Boser

• Nukem531

Compared to last fall at freeze time we are up. However, we are still down a couple of feet from normal. Also, since I put my docks in it has dropped another couple of inches. WE NEED RAIN!!!!!!! Anyway, our launch is still doing fine as is the public access on Sand.

I must say it is nice to see people taking advantage of the new pike limit of 9. Many of our repeat guests that have never kept pike in the past are enjoying their new freezer bags full of pike. My wife and I both agree that we would trade a walleye for a northern any day, out of Sand Lake. We both like the meat as much if not better than walleye. Again, I must clarify that is out of Sand Lake, not out of every lake. Anyway, we have guides showing guests how to clean pike the right way as well as how to clean them the easy way. My wife and I are doing the same as well as cooking pike for the guests on occasion for them to try. The only way we can solve, or at least help the pike problem on Sand and Bowstring is for everyone to do their part. Keep your 9! PLEASE!

I am new to this forum and maybe this has already been covered in a previous thread, but how is the possession limit regulated? My concern is from a resort owners thought of guest going to different lakes and keeping nine and saying they came off of Sand or String? Again, new to this forum so I appologize for my ignorance on this topic.

Lilgreek sounds familiar. If you see a white with a blue stripe Crestliner 17.5 foot with 3 goofs in it, give us a wave. We are hoping that the rain everyone else is getting south of Sand is going to make it up north.

Jason thanks for the report. Just picked up a bunch 1/8 oz. jigs. Hope we have your luck.

Good Luck everyone see you up north.

While enforcement can be a big issue this pike regulation is no different in regulating than is a slot limit on some lakes in the area and not on others. In most cases we must trust that the majority will do the right thing. In a select few other cases we hope the DNR or other officials have the ability to enforce the regulation by presence or by obtaining information from the law abiding individuals or by coercing the wrong-doer into incriminating themselves. There is no magic control here just as someone could keep slot walleyes from Winnie and as long as they make it off the lake they can say they caught the fish elsewhere. We must all stay aware of what is going on around us and not be afraid to do the right thing!

I definately agree with everything you said! It's just hard to believe that when you can keep three time the normal limit,people will not take advantage of this a little more than the slot limit regulations. But I do agree!!!

Keep in mind if they are fishing a lake without this increased limit and keep their nine, then get checked, they had better not have any fish between 22" and 36".

Oh, so there is a slot on the pike in these lakes? Geez, I gotta brush up on my regs this year!

On Sand i dont think thats gonna be a problem, all we've ever caught is hammer handles.

While I must agree that the majority of pike caught in Sand Lake will be under that 22" mark I must also tell you that I have been fishing twice this season. Over two fishing trips while jigging for "eyes" I have caught one 29", one 27" two 25" and several 23" pike. A friend of mine told me that he has two pike over 30" this year. They are out there just few and far between. To prove this point, since the DNR started surveying this lake in 1957 only 2.57% of the pike have been over 22"'s. Anyway, be aware of new reg's and be sure to read your book each year, you never know when something new might pop up.

Three years ago we were up at Sand in the last week of July and had a 40+ incher on beside the boat. It decided that the 8lb. test we were using was not quite good enough and broke off. By far the biggest northern we have ever had on, but I agree a majority of hammer handles have been par for the course.

Has the rain made it up there yet. Hopefully not the storms that have been hitting sothern MN.

How has the fishing been. Is anyone catching any decent crappies or walleyes. What has the lake warmed up to so far.

Thanks again.

Lakewood your being awfly quiet, are you to busy catching fish to keep us bored board junkies informed wink.gif

Water levels and temp.

I've heard of a few decent pike outta the lake, but it's about 1000 to 1 odds.

Cheers to you and the association! I have been vacationing on and off at Pine Grove for 25 years (more "on" in recent years) and couldn't be more pleased with the walleye fishing. Seems to get better and better each year. Was on there Monday of opening week and caught 'eyes on all corners of the lake-just had to sort through the usual hammer handles.

OK! I have been called out by lilgreek! No, I have not been busy catching fish! I have been busy taking care of my guests and making sure they have a great time as well as catch some fish. Thats my sales pitch for now. Fishing has been ok since the storms came thru. Yesterday the crappie turned on in 8 to 10 feet of water with white tube jigs. The walleye have started biting again, after the best opener two weeks I have seen in 6 years. Still biting on minnows and jigs. I must still say we are seeing more people keep pike than ever before. NINE pike per person can create a nice bag of fish to take home. The perch have been ok. 8 to 9 inchers in shallow with some worms and 10 to 13's when jigging for walleye. Did I mention to keep your pike? Oh, you are right, I must have. Anyway, fishing remians steady at about average for this time of year. We aren't blowing the doors off but people are catching fish. Come looking for only walleye and you might go home empty handed. Come looking for fish and Sand will be sure to produce. Water levels have come up a few inches since opener. Nothing to brag about and we could use another 8 to 12 inches. I am not complaining as it is raining right now but we have a long way to go to feel comfortable for the season. Oh yeah! Did you know the pike limit went to 9 on Sand and Bowstring!?! Of course you did cause you have read my ramblings before. OK, I am done! (for now) Hey, by the way, if you need to know how to get the "Y" bines out of pike check out my website and you can see Boser show you how to do it. The website is my resort name with www. in front and .com after. If nothing else it is fun to watch Boser and his sales pitch. Yes, I know you will see this Jason. Again, I said I was done with the pike pitch........I lied. Talk to ya soon!

I like to see these guys keeping you busy Steve. Drove by the resort from the lake yesterday and it looks very impressive I think you will have a visitor soon

Jason

Are ya'll getting numbers of craps out there? I know they use to be hard to find but when you found 'em they were slabs. I sure hope that hasn't changed

Boze, A 4:57 am post? Come on. Are you just coming home or just getting up?

We are set for Monday right? Sharpen them hooks for me.

Looks like a smaller crew. Maybe 6 of us or so.

Call me.

T

Looks like the rain gear will be used this year, hopefully the wind and lightning stay away.Coming up saturday.

Lakewood-

I am tring to picture where your bay/resort is. Your brochure says the SW bay but I put Pine Grove in the SW Bay. Are you in the bay across from the public landing? Just curious-nice looking place and I would like to stop by when I am up later in the summer.

Thanks

We label it as the SW bay as Lakewood Bay is SW of Casper Bay. Pine Grove I would consider to be on the river (bowstring) opposed to being in a bay. Anyway, yes, we are in Lakewood Bay which is across from the public access. We explain it as "down the chute and to the right". We are always around, please stop by and say Hi.

I am going to be making my first trip to Sand Lake in two weeks and can't wait. The last time I fished in Minnesota was when I was a kid at the other Sand Lake by Remer with my family. My friend and his wife talked my wife and I into coming up for a week of fishing! So far I have Rapalas,alot of jigs,spinner baits (pike), slip bobbers,crawler harnesses,some top water stuff,and alot of crappie stuff that we use here in Iowa. Can any of you give me any other suggestions of what I might want to get before heading your way ?

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered.........along with gary0721's suggestion.

Where are people finding walleyes on Sand this week? I'll be up Saturday. Can't wait. It's been a long wait. Lakewood, do you sell bait? Your place is right on 35 at that sharp curve and the brige? Or am I mistaken? Thanks!

Your location of our resort is correct. Currently we have crappies. fatheads, shinersm large leeches, crawlers and waxies. Some are still being found in 8 to 12' off the flats with jigs and minnows. Some are being caught in 16 to 20' on crawlers. Yet, I have other guests that are using leeches in all different depths and doing fine. Pick Your Poison I guess. Overall, fishing is steady!

The only thing that was steady Lakewood was the crappy weather.Ive never seen that much rain and wind.

The leaches were working, it would have been a pretty good week if we could have got out over 50% of the time.

What was the highest wind gust on Monday? It had to be over 40 mph.

Thanks again for all the info,..Lilgreek

• 2 weeks later...