• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Its that time of year again, and was curious as to the water level at Sand lake and Bowstring?How was the ice fishing?

Lilgreek

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lakewood

• lilgreek

• Nukem531

• fishuhalik

Just about to post the same question myself. How about it Jason, what's it look like for this year? With the early ice out, any different patterns/depths you might suggest for this opener?

water levels should be good. fish should be ready to go there was a nice batch of little guys in both last year that should be in a good keeping range. I think jig and minnow will be the ticket again shallow

Jason

Jason, thanks for the as always quick response.

We will be there the 1st full week of june and last year the weather really screwd us. leaches werent as hot as always. jig and a minnow but what about trolling cranks?

what would be the right structure for jigs just off the weed line or at a drop off?

shout back

the first week in june I like right on the edge of the weeds which usually but not always the edge of the drop. also chech right in the weeds it is just starting to grow and you always find something pulling a jig through there if its not real full yet

hope that helps

Jason

Just reading what you guys were saying, looked at the map, and raelized these lakes aren't very far from where we're staying at Spider Lake resort. Just wondering (miles wise) how long of a drive from Spider? Any helpful tips would be appreciated where to try, what to use... We're coming up May 18-22 Thanks cool.gif

I would suggest a shiner/rainbow and an 1/8th ounce jig slow trolling or drifting-----not vertical jigging. Try south west of the little island, also small bar straight east of big island, also mouth of the river. Don't worry about early or late, just put your time in on the water.

Thanks for the help. We'll probably head over there Fri. or Sat. give it a try. Will be in a grey Crestliner with a 90hp Yamaha, "Lady Luck" on the back. If you spot us say Hey!

I saw that they stocked fingerlings rather than fry, this would seem a like a quick fix deal. Last year was real slow for alot of people the week we were there, sounds like they did better as the weather got warmer.

The stocking of fingerlings rather than fry was a joint decision between the Sand Lake Property Owners Assoc Board of Directors and the DNR. The basis of this decision was that an older (yearlings or fingerlings) fish might have a better chance at survival based on size and natural instincts. Our assumption was that the fry are dinner for all predatory species as well as most sizes of all species. At least a 8 to 10" fish is not dinner to another 8 to 10" fish. This was not a "quick fix" but rather an alternative approach to building a sustainable, on-going walleye hatchery as well as trying to get the most bang for our buck. Last fall's electroshock count, for walleye, was the second highest in Sand Lakes history, at least since they have been electroshocking.

Sorry lakewood quick fix was the wrong way to put it, and i hope that the fingerlings made it thru, and this year will rock.

hope everyone had a great opener

Greekster

ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE! Hope my post didn't sound too defensive either. Just want everyone to know how much work and how much money goes into keeping a lake producing. No, it is not all tax dollars either. The 2500 pounds of fingerlings/yearlings dropped two weeks ago was ALL private funds from Sand Lake property owners thru the Sand Lake Property Owners Association. Each 8" walleye cost us approximately 88 cents this year. We do have an aggressive stocking program with the DNR as well but that is traditionally setup on an every-other year basis with some safety nets installed. The off years our Lake Assoc. tries to fill any voids. Our goal has been not necessarily to make Sand Lake a world class walleye lake but rather to produce a steady, consistant hatchery that produces comfortable and adequate results, year in and year out, without too many peaks and valleys in production.

On to the important stuff - - - Sat and Sun we did see good results with walleye. Saw alot of big fish get released back in. More than we traditionally see in a whole season. Walleye fell off sharply Mon-Wed. Perch fishing has been great with lots of 12" and 13" being caught. Crappie have been elusive but big and fun when found. Yes, still lots of 19-21" northern but have also seen several 30's. We did have a 42" caught this winter.

Lakewood, TY,TY,TY,TY

I really appreciate you going to the trouble to explain the stocking procedures. Sounds great and the mortality has got to be better. I heard one time in natural settings if 1 walleye go's from spawn to an adult that reproduces it was a successful spawn.

If you ever come to iowa for pheasants email me at [email protected] and i will put you on some ROOSTERS, you will be seeing them when you close your eyes at night to go to sleep. Now back to the important stuff. whats the water level up or down from last year?

Do you think leeches will produce 1st week of june?

Jumbo perch sound AWESOME, a huge perch gets me more fired up then a 4 lb walleye, the only reason i say that is we have wallys that big and bigger here but not the perch.

Caught some real nice smallies last year also.

greek

We have several guests from your area who I have talked with about birds as well. Man do I love a good bird hunt. I grew up in NE with lots of farm ground close to the NE, SD border. Don't know what you hunt with but I grew up with German Shorthair Pointers. It still amazes me to watch them work.

Our water levels are at a normal level right now. They have come up a few inches in the last week. The 5 year average depth at the end of my dock has been right at 8'. It is now at 8' 7". I can not tell you what the exact average for this time of year is though. I just average the whole season.

I would expect leeches to be popular early June. We do sell alot around then. Personally, I use shiners until I can't buy shiners anymore. Then I switch to rainbow's or fatheads. I always work a minnow first. Then, if no bites I switch to a leech. That is just my preference. I know alot of people that use leeches almost always and do well too.

Again yesterday walleyes were elusive. Plenty of pike and still having fun with the perch.

Haven't seen any smallies yet. Even though the season hasn't opened yet we usually see a few caught while chasing perch or eyes in close to the islands. I love catching smallies. We consider them the princesses of our lake. I always release then no matter the size. I just love catching them.

Hello all, I will be up on Sand Lake the first week of June staying at Cambells Lodge with the wife, I have never fished this lake before. We will be fishing for of course some "eyes", panfish and bass. I have the new Lorwrance H20 with the Mn lakemaster chip and this lake is on the chip with the depths as such. We will be in a Black Lund 1675-Explorer Tiller with a 70HP Yamaha. We will mainly be fishing for "eyes" and could use some tips as to some good staring areas.

Thanks,

While there are occasionally some good spots on the south side of the lake the basic walleye spots are on the big body. West of the little island you will first find some humps and then further west you will find some flats, both are good spots. North of the little island there is a shelf that usually produces well after the weeds have grown but is worth a try. You can try the first little inlet inside the Bowstring River, it has been ok this season. That is the best I can tell you right now as eye's have been tough so far.

Any updates on water level? Is the Rice Lake landing usable for a larger size outboard?

I gotta think that the hot weather turned em on. shout back

Thanks for your tips Lakewood, any tips for some areas for getting some crappies too, looks as though the eye's havn't quit turned on yet on Sand lake from all the reports.

Great weekend up at the cabin..LAKEWOOD thanks for keeping the wave-runner/Pontoon full of gas!(Sorry for all the trips up the hill, Kids say thank you!)

Fishing was great for everything but Walleyes..caught, of coarse lots of Norhtern, Perch, Crappies and a handful of Walleyes...seemed to be moving deeper..18+ to the rock piles..

Great weather though!!!

Always appreciate your demeanor and service to the Sandlake Property Owners...

The eyes are getting better......still not great but enough to keep people happy. Crappies and gills are along almost all shorelines on lower side of lake, ie:bays and straights. Find reeds.....find fish. Yesterday, small pink and white jig tipped with pieces of crawlers caught lots of crappie/gills.

Thank You and You are Welcome! Summers in northern MN are for having fun, whether it's waverunners, pontoons, skiing or fishing it really doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it. Our philosophy here is that it is our job to help people enjoy their time in the northwoods, whether you are a guest at our resort or not. Again, thanks for the business!

Thanks to everyone who replied, heading up tommorrow nite.

Looks like the weather is going to be great, unlike last year. But as they say last year was last year.

good luck to everyone and thanks again lakewood!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got back and fishing for the weather was pretty good, found all of our wallys in 9 to 13 ft of water.

The big fish of the trip was a 26 1/2 that was released.Ate fish 4 times and brought home our limit of good eaters. never did find the big perch, but we had to work for the wallys and the wind was a (Contact Us Please). I woulda hate to have had to fish winny.

Had our best luck backtrolling into the wind water temp was around 70 degrees but with this cold front it might slow down a bit. good luck to everyone

• 11 months later...

Let's give this topic from last year at this time an update. How'd the opener go on Sand, and what's it look like for the next few weeks? Thanks!!

We had a very good opener. Weather was wonderful and the fishing was good. My favorite part of the weekend was having a 7 year old boy on his first opener trip with his Dad and Uncles, while big sister had to stay home, and him catching a 18" and a 20" walleye as well as catching a limit. He told me "this walleye fishin stuff is easy!" Anyway, several nice fish caught and released, many good eaters and lots of 10"ers. I must also say we had more Northern Pike kept than anytime before. Being able to keep 9 pike really does make a nice bag of fish.........and helps the lake!

Nice to see the thread is still alive, hope everyone had a great year.Sounds like the opener was a blast lots of little fish meens lots of action, hope the weather holds out.Feel free Lakewood to shout out updates(lol).

Shout back

Lilgreek

I sounds like you had a great time with your son. I am heading up to Sand Thursday, but couldn't talk my 20 year old son into taking the trip with me. Last year we caught the most walleyes in the 12' range with a minnow and plain hook, near weed edges. We didn't catch all that many walleyes, but the perch made the trip. They were some footballs. Is that where you found them, along the weeds? Has anyone tried night crawlers yet? Thanks, rollineyes

I agree it is great to see this thread still going. I have gotten a lot of quality info from this site. I will be heading up on June 2 for a family vacation. Well I am on the other side, I will be taking my 67 year old father for a great week of fishing. We have been coming up for 25+ years and have had awesome fishing almost every year. Looking forward to the Northwoods Experience and some great fishing. Any updates of fishing reports would be great.