• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be traveling from St. Paul to somewhere out on the Zumbro this week. I wanted to see if you guys know any great spots for cats and maybe Stripers? I heard there were stripped bass out there. Not sure if that was a myth or fictious. But I would love to spend a day on the Zumbro with some great action! I heard the fall was where the fishes were. Anyone know where and how to get to a great spot? Any help would do! I mainly want to hit Stripers and Cats if possible!

Are you asking about Lake Zumbro or the Zumbro River? I assume you mean the lake.

Lake Zumbro is almost all private shorline. Dang hard to find anywhere to fish out there. But, there is one public fishing acsess by Fishermans Inn. That's a pretty decent spot to fish too. Otherwise, I have seen people fishing under the Sandy Point bridge before too.

hmmm. I've never been to the zumbro. All I heard was there was stripped bass there. Thats why I wanted to go. Wow....no public spots huh. That sure sucks! Is there a park you can pay to get in or something? I was under the impression that this was a public river/lake kinda thing....kinda like the mississippi or minn river. Any nice spots where I can atleast get some cats or stripers would be nice. Any help will do. I'm heading out there sat morning! I want to head towards something!

I would suggest the public fishing acsess at Fisherman's Inn. There has been all different species of fish caught there. I myself have caught cats, white bass, all panfish, and northerns there. Some through the ice and some in open water.

The acsess is a point that sticks out in the river channel. Not much current, but some. Also there is a slack bay on both sides. One problem though, there is a waterski club that pratices near there. May be an issue. I don't think they would be out there early.

If that's the place you would like to try, and you are coming from the north, turn left at Oronoco. County 12 it is. Go about 5 miles or so and watch for the Fisherman's Inn sign on the left. I think the road is called White Bridge road or something like that. Maybe if you Mapquest it too. Just go all the way to the end of that road and you're there.

For stripers, I'd say cast anything shiney. Silver spoons work good. With a name like Katman I'm thinking you can figure out what to use on the cats. My luck for channels out there has been on cut sucker, chiken liver, even night crawler. Even caught cats in the winter on a waxie fishing for crappies.

Good luck to ya!

The Zumbro is chuck full of white bass and they are pretty easy to catch once you find them. Last fall I fished the public fishing pier in front of Fisherman's Inn and hammered the silver bass. I was using a 1/16oz jig with a gulp minnow/twister tail. They were thick right near the dock. You didn't even have to cast out, just drop down and move your jig a little and whammo!

This is a pretty common sized whitey from the Zumbro, but you'll also get several smaller ones.

ty_bass1.jpg

I was thinking about taking my mom out in the elements after work today(mothers day gift) to the backwaters/dike road to do some shore fishing. Would I be better off(more proned to catch fish) just going to the fisherman inn dock? It is closer to Roch which is always nice.

Thanks,

Joe

Fosters is producing right now. That might be another option?

Would you happen to know what they are biting on out there? Is it mainly trout at foster?

They been doing well using a waxie on a very small plain hook set under a float at about three feet. Also small jigs tipped with waxies. I was there for a while this morning on on errand run to Roch and I was tossing a small spinner. Lots of 10-12 inchers. I'm thinking they may have recently stocked it again. I was fishing on the handicap acsess and there was nobody else out there. Anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Great spots on the Zumbro huh? I think the entire river is a great spot for fishing smallmouth bass.... Just gotta keep moving down river or up river and keep on casting, whether it be wading or by canoe...