• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zumbro River in Rochester

Just got a question regarding the Zumbro River in Roch. Has anyone fished the area directly off of W.River Parkway by 55th Street NW that wraps around to 41st, and 37th St? If so what types of fish are in there and how deep is it normally? Thanks Guys!

Since I work so close to that area I decided one day to drown a crawler during my lunch hour. I fished directly across from the gardens. Plenty of marginaly deep (meaning 5-8 feet) water. The current moves along pretty nice too. I didn't catch anything that day, but I was only poking around for about 45 minutes. It does look "fishy" and I would imagine that carp and suckers even chubs and shinners could be had. It didn't take long to figure out that Fosters isn't that much farther drive and, it's a lot more productive.

I heard theres smallies, northern and catfish in there. Walleyes to blush.gif but prolly not.

You will find A LOT of fish in the Zumbro if you take the time and search. I have never fished the area you speak of, but I have fished the Zumbro extensively in and around Roch. I have caught the following on hook and line: White Sucker, Golden Red horse, Silver Red Horse, River Red Horse, Short Head Red Horse, Northern Hog Suckers, Common Carp, Quailback Carp Suckers, Black Bullheads, Yellow Bullheads, Mooneye, Crappie, Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Sauger, Walleye, Northern, Musky, Channel Catfish, White Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Painted Turtles, Soft-shell Turtles, Snapping Turtles, Northern Water Snakes, and even a Lamprey..... I am sure there is more I have missed, but cannot think of them right now. If you could not tell.......

I love fishing this river!! grin.gif

Quote:

Northern Water Snakes

I hate those blasted things, they are mean and always lurking!!

thats a huge list of species, i wasn't ahwere that there were so many kinds of red horses and other rough fish i've always refured to them as chubs, where did the eyes and sauger come from?

The eyes and saugers can be found in the deeper pools on any stretch of the river.

Just to add to Murph's list... I hit a few Rock bass and several sheephead(might be the same as one of those fancy names) out there last year as well. I'm sure there's more, but that's the only species that I can add.

It's truly an experinece as you never know what you might catch.

hey thanks guys, i was acually looking to do a little fishing 2nite after work, not sure as to where i want to go though, i would have never guessed that eyes n sauger could be found that close to roch but would love to hook into a few, any suggestions on where to go within town?

Just a friendly reminder that walleye season is closed for another 28 days. After that, I'd be willing to get out there and give it a try with ya.

I've only fished the area up by Zumbro Falls and Hammond.

sounds like a plan 2 me!, is it illegal to target a fish when its out of season if u throw them all back? prob a dumb ? but better safe than sorry i guess

Yes, if you are specifically targeting a species out of season it is illegal. Doesn't matter if you C&R them.

Sorry,

Andy

Yes, you can not target any species out of season. Right now is prime time for the red horse and sucker species. Get yourself some night crawlers and enjoy the fun. Just remember to please release these fish. They are by no means "trash" fish and are native to this region. That is why I educated myself on identification. Too many fishermen consider them trash and throw them on the shore to rot. Our native red horse and suckers are a very good sign of water quality.

Your best bet for saugers, eyes, northern, and musky are in late fall anyways. I mainly fish the stretch from right below the power dam, through Zumbro Falls, Hammond all the way down through Millville. If you would like to join us on the river let us know. We have a great time and learn a lot form each other....

i'm moving out there this fall. just east on 60 and off on a gravel road. i should be close to the river to try some river fishing!

Looks like we're going to be neighbors Carl. Are you on Klennerts road. The one with the S.N.A. on it? Excellent area if so!

what do u guys us to catch these welleyes on? where are the muskies at? never whould of thought theses fish are in there! blush.gifblush.giflaugh.gif

I've waded before in the past from the power dam too the green bridge and caught a ton of fish. I consider myself too be pretty knowledgeable about walleyes and saugers but im still not sure what the heck it was we were catching, walleyes or saugers. They look totally different than any walleyes and saugers i've caught anywhere else. But they were nice 16-18" fish. Caught a ton of smallies in with them along with some northerns.

this is a link to the a map of the road we are building on. we are a bit down the road on the east side of the road.

map

Ry,

The power dam is located on the far North end of Lake Zumbro. It costs $5 to fish there per day. You can find Muskies and eyes anywhere downstream of there.

Walleyes can be caught on typical walleye gear including jigs, crawlers, minnows, stick baits, rapalas, plastics etc.

James,

Here's a sauger caught on plastic.

ty_sauger.jpg

Another sauger on a rapala.

dan_sauger.jpg