• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
outdoor ran

Batteries?

Question

outdoor ran

I need to replace both my batteries in the Lake Superior boat. One side is for starting and the tilt and the other is for everything else pretty much. only one side was charging last year so I hooked a neg. cable between them and now both are charging. I'm going to pick up a starting battery for the one side, should I get a deep cycle for the other side or both starting marine batterys?

8 answers to this question

musky hunter

I'd get a deep cycle for everything else. There is no great current inrush like there is on a starter, the running lights, sonar, etc. are constant trickle loads. The deep cycle is more suited to that. In an emergency, you can normally start an engine using the deep cycle battery, should the other one fail at a bad time. Just make sure both batteries are properly charging.

Northlander

Randy hit Interstate and tel Kris Descmidt that I sent ya over. I graduated from Denfeld with her way back when.

Get a starter for the motor and a deep cycle for everything else. Call me on this before you purchase.

Valv

DuluthGuy

Ran get deep for both but enough cranking for the starter.

Hey, was that a Old Squaw duck in your former pic?

B2

Steve Foss

I also use deep cycle batteries for both. You can get a deep rated for enough cold-cranking amps for starting and another for all the rest. That way you can charge them both on the same deep-cycle charger, too.

Surface Tension

Randy, I know you have and inboard and use the boat on Superior. If you don't use a kicker then I'd go with 2 Marine starting batteries. You should also install a switch. That'll give you the option of Off, Battery 1 one, Battery 2 on or Both on.

The Marine starting batteries are dual purpose, starting and low current draws. You can start and outboard once in a while with deep cycles but I wouldn't with an inboard.

outdoor ran

I was wondering where my post went. I was getting worried that someone threw it into cyber space, had me thinking "what did I type grin.gif" Anyway I put it on the Duluth form thinking I would get some good advice from the Lake Superior guys. But it works here too.

I have a kicker but its a back up engine that dosn't need a battery. I troll with the big motor. Theres a switch between them.

Duluth guy? Yea its a oldsquaw drake. I should have it back from the taxidermist next week. You can check it out. One of the nicest ducks I've ever taken in 22 years of hunting.

Surface Tension

I asked about the kicker and if you will be trolling with the inboard. That makes a big difference in what battery type you use for the second battery. Your inboard has a alternator therefore you won't and shouldn't be relying on a storage battery to run your electronics. Considering your on the big water with an engine that takes quite a bit more cranking power, I'd go with the two starting batteries.

outdoor ran

ST and guys, thanks for the info.

Northlander I'll give you a call before I buy a couple.