• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
radke22

Taxidermy Plastic Surgery?

Question

radke22

I have two walleyes on the wall. The first one was a spring fish that was 28.5" at 9.75lbs. The second was a fall fish that was 30" at 9lbs. I got the second fish yesterday and it is perfect, the first one not so much (different taxidermist). Is there any way that a taxidermist can put a replica head or anything else on a already mounted fish? The head on my 28.5" is the stuff of nightmares.

30" that is perfect

p10103893zp.th.jpg

28.5" that I still have nightmares from when I picked it

up.

p10103919co.th.jpg

15 answers to this question

stmichael

There is a gentlemen in Coon Rapids that does excellent work.

if interested

Email me for his number.

haapojam at bsci (Contact US Regarding This Word)

DTro

yikes, that IS a nightmare. What is up with that? Are you sure that's not a smallmouth? It's got the head, and the right color pattern. grin.gif

Surface Tension

I'd have nightmares too. Do you have a sense of humor?

Put a bag over its head.

Down Deep

Check with Artistic Anglers in Duluth, MN 218-721-4900. They specilize in reproductions. They might have a solution for you.

hanson

Quote:

There is a gentlemen in Coon Rapids that does excellent work.

Jack?

outdoor ran

Yikes thats scary! Has mentioned above call Artistic Anglers they have lots of repo walleye heads so they could match it.

I kinda like ST's idea of putting a bag over its head grin.gif

stmichael

Jack is correct.

stmichael

Sorry Hanson, I meant to go on rambling but I bumped the wrong key, panicked then well, you seen what happened. I was going to put Jack's name and number, but, without Jack's approval and the approval of the site I figured posting the way I did was the "better" way to go about it. I did not have time to refresh my memory on the Rules of posting.

jigginjim

Following the rules with this site. I only wish we could post who the guy was that done this work. Have you talked with this person as to why it was done? I'm sure these were done by 2 different companies. The guys should be willing to some how fix the problem, your not happy with.

radke22

The bad one was from a woman, and I know that if I brought it back, it end up worse. Foe these reasons alone, I'm looking for someone that can "patch up" her work.

harvey lee

It looks like the cheeks were filled with to much paper mache,result puffy cheeks.The top of the head could be fixed and maybe the cheeks.It looks like the paint job was not the best either.Your best bet would be to have the head replaced and the fish repainted.For all that expense,you might as well have a replica made,at least it will look good and last.I would probably ask for my money back from her.I would not have her fix it as it might look worse when she is done.Good luck and nice fish.

radke22

You know what, it does look better with a paper bag on it's head.

p10103938xb.th.jpg

Surface Tension

baghead.JPG

grin.gif

hanson

stmichael-

Yep. Better to let folks dig through the phone book. Jack is a very close relative of mine and he gets all my taxidermy work. He keeps talking about quitting and taking in less work but I sure hope he keeps it up for awhile longer, I don't want to find a new taxidermist.

stmichael

Hanson,

I was there this last Saturday, a buddy of mine had a Northern mounted, we must have been there an hour BS(ing), I do not know if he has it in him to quit, he was in the process of repainting a bluegill, man, he does beautiful work. Now, if only he can keep the dogs from jumping on him. I am sure you know what I am talking about.

As we were talking, his boys name came up and I recognized it, sure enough, we went to school together. Small world.