• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Crappiechaser

I fished madison this morning in east bay and wow we caught some huge sunfish. There were acouple nice crappies caught to. It has been the best late ice bite ive had

troutman

How was the ice and do you think you'll still be able to get out this weekend?

2 DA GILLS

The east bay, is that the shallow bay?

I too am interested to know if you think you could still get on the ice this weekend. I really need to get 1 last day of fishing in before the ice is gone.

Crappiechaser

Yes it is the shallow bay and I hope we can still get on this weekend, I think it might depend on how much wind and rain we get.

Fishky06

you should have kept your mouth sealed about that spot....

james_walleye

I kinda was thinking the same thing fishky.

riverrat56

with about 3 days of ice left I don't think it's going to hurt anything guys.....theres more than one place to get into some nice gills, pointing someone in the right direction doesn't ruin it for everyone, he just mentioned the bay not the specific area.

2 DA GILLS

Crappiechaser

Thanks for sharing the tip, not sure it will even matter with the current weather. I have always enjoyed this site because people are willing to share information.

Thanks again.

troutman

My thanks also for the info.

Speaking only for myself,it is quite a drive from my home to Madison so,I really appreciate the ice condition update.It's a long way to go only to find you can't get out.I do agree however,that one needn't be too specific as to the exact spot to go to...especially on the internet.A good fisherman will figure things out and figuring things out,is part of the learning experience that makes one a better fisherman.

Back to the topic,watching the radar last night,it looked like you guys were getting nailed down there.That doesn't bode well for the ice but,I'm kicking around heading there this weekend and would really appreciate an ice update.

Thanks again

Willy

I can't say anything about Madison, but the lake I drive by on the way to work (Clear by Lexington), the ice was pulled away from the shore anywhere from 3-8 ft. or so in different spots. The ice looked really dark and rotten. With some good wind, it is going to be over. We got hit with quite a bit of rain last evening/night and wind all day long yesterday. If you do go, you are going to need planks to get on in my opinion.

2 DA GILLS

I talked to a friend up by St. Cloud this morning. They had not even had any rain as of yesterday and he fell through on his way off the ice last night. I am guessing I will not be getting out one last time around this area. I am not giving up all hope, but it sure sounds unlikely.

Crappiechaser

Sorry about giveing up your spot but it wasn't a big secret anyway. If you drive buy the lake it was the only spot people were fishing. I thought I could help someone that wants to have a good last outing.

Team Otter

Don't sweat it. I didn't even know there were 'gills in Madison. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifsmirk.gif

katoguy

There isn't a fish in Madison that tastes good. I always thought the crappies and walleyes were strange tasting because of the shad they eat, but the gills are not good either. Great lake for catch and release, but that's all I do there.

If you don't eat a lot of fish you may not notice the strange taste.

harvey lee

Katoguy

I dont have to worry about eating fish out of Madison,as I never catch anything in that lake.I have only fished it 3 times,boy did I get burned.No matter what I fish for or when I go,ZIPPO.Last year I wrote this lake off. frown.gif

Team Otter

katoguy,

Couldn't you sense the sarcasm? grin.gif I have also noticed the "strange" flavor you're referring too. It seems to be more prevalent in the fall than in the spring, but like you said, I catch and release most of the time any way. Unless, of course, my mother-in-law is calling!

Tom,

Don't give up that easy. It took me a little over a year to get a solid pattern figured out on Madison.

james_walleye

That is funny that you guys mentioned the funny taste as i have noticed it too. Back about 7 years ago i caught a few walleyes off Madison and then caught a couple on Elysian and it was something too see the difference in the color of the fillets. The Madison fillets had a brown tinge compared too the Elysian fillets. I was told it was the shad that made the madison eyes like that.

KK

When I clean my fish I always cut or shave the brownish colored layer of fat on the outside of the fillet off. It can make a huge difference in taste, especially on a larger fillet.

Team Otter

Gizzard shad produce/emit oils into the water which cause the brownish tinge on the fillets and the slightly "off flavor". Whitefish and/or smelt populations often times create the same type of situation with the fillets, especially in shallower, stained bodies of water.

harvey lee

T.O.

the other lakes treat me to well to go back to Madison.Im sure it has nice fish,I personally just dont catch them.

james_walleye

Im just the opposite, i do really well on Madison so i dont give other lakes much of a chance.

harvey lee

james walleye

Glad to here you do well on Madison.If we all fished the same lakes,what a busy place that would be. smile.gif