• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pioneer Press today

Walleyeguy32

Culpepper wants release if Vikings can't trade him BY SEAN JENSENPioneer PressVikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper has confirmed that the team has tried to trade him and requested the organization release him if it can't find a partner.

"Now that I have confirmed that the Vikings have been seeking to trade me, I have asked for permission to speak to the interested teams. The Vikings have denied my request," Culpepper said in a statement e-mailed to the Pioneer Press on Wednesday. "If a trade does not happen, then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible."

Culpepper said that he appreciated Vikings owner Zygi Wilf saying that he would pay his $6 million bonus. "However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said.

"If the team chooses not to honor my request, then I intend to fulfill my contractual obligations to the Minnesota Vikings."

The primary issue remains money. In May 2003, Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract that was technically one of the five-largest in NFL history. But Culpepper's deal was loaded with non-guaranteed salaries and special-teams incentives he would never earn.

Wilf gave Culpepper a $4 million signing bonus last August and another $3.5 million due 14 days after the start of this league year. Coupled with a $2.5 million bonus he was scheduled to get as part of his original deal, Culpepper was set to receive $6 million on March 22.

The Vikings have been trying to find a trade partner. But teams have been reluctant, believing the Vikings might outright release him before that bonus is due and fearing the severity of Culpepper's injury. Culpepper damaged three of four ligaments in his right knee against the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 30, and he missed the remainder of the season.

"However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said.

That was part of the press conference. What do you imagine he means by that? He can't/wont run the type of offense we will have or he dosen't want a structured team environment (ala the new code of conduct)?

That could be a catch all kind of statement, could be anything from him not wanting to dink and dunk or them not wanting him to not run, or them wanting him to run to much.

Pretty much anything. Should be an interesting off season. Whether you like C-Pep or not atleast we are finally getting some entertainment out of our sports teams.

It's because we hurt his ego. He found out that we have been shopping him around and now is demanding a trade or a release? Get rid of him if we can I say. Not the attitude we want at the QB position. Not sure who would fill the shoes. But after last year, anyone would be better.