• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ceder Lake in July

Hey guys

My fiance and I are heading up to Ceder Lake for a few days the first part of July. We're going to be staying at our company cabin and I've asked everyone who's been there how the fishing is.. Well, they all say little ones here and there, but I'm pretty sure I've fished ALOT more then they have so I'm guessing we'll do a little better.

I'm bringing my own boat so we'll have depth finders and all that good stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on some good spots to check for walleyes and smallies. For eye's, I like to stick to jigs, lindys, and spinner rigs for trolling, but I'll try just about anything if it works. For smallies, I like finess fishing so I'll probably use alot of the texas-rig style if it'll work...

Thanks for any advice!

-scott

Feel free to email me at snootalope-at-yahoo.com!

cedar lake west of aitkin? what part of the lake is the cabin at? it can be a tough lake to fish. my ex-inlaws have a place on the east side toward the top of the lake (bay).

i had never caught a walleye until they became my ex's. coincidence?

anyways this lake has so much structure you could pick 20 'good looking' spots and strike out. july probably isn't the easiest month to catch them either.

best of luck, don['tt forget to try for the big northerns and muskies, they populations are growing.

scooter--check replies to your original post in east-central section for a few starting places on Cedar. -E-

Snooter any chance your business is out of Iowa? I can't think of the name of the owners right now but they're an older couple? Cedar in July can be a pain with all of the recreation boaters out but I would try trolling the drop offs with rapalas. You'll pick up northerns bass and we've even picked up some nice walleyes. In the past couple years we've caught a 28" and a 29" eye just trolling the drop offs. If you're into muskie fishing there are some nice ones out there too.

Yep, out of des moines, Iowa! How'd you know?? You wouldn't happen to be the baitstore guy everyone keeps telling me to talk to up there about the fishing would ya??

Thanks for the advice.. I'd really like to find a few eye's before chasing anything else so I'll be sure to check the drop off's.

No I'm not the baitstore guy you're thinking about. I work for Paul though at his baitshop. We've been out there a couple times to help out and it's just killing me that I can't think of the couples name. Stop in at the store though and Paul will be more then happy to help you out with some spots to try. We can point them out on the lake map. There is a drop off that a lot of people troll right in front of the cabin. It pretty much just follows the shore all the way along what's called the "gold coast". A lot of walleye fishing is done with downriggers just west of your cabin in the 100 foot hole. To be honest though if you're looking for walleyes cedar is not known for great walleye fishing. Good luck and stop in when you're up.

Warner wink.gif

Paul! That was the name they told me, they kept saying the guys at the baitshop will help you out with whatever you need! You guys are practically celebraties around here! I'll be sure to stop in. I guess if I can't catch walleye's, maybe I can just chase some norherns around and a bass or two.

We're staying at the cabin for three days then heading up to Vermillion for another three days. Maybe I'll get my walleye fix there!