• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time out-where?

Bobby Bass

For your first time out this up coming fishing season will it be a favorite lake, a "hot spot" or a tradition trip? and how many go out opening weekend or wait for the crowds to clear. To answer my own question depending on weather I have three lakes that I will go to and I have not fished on opening weekend in years I will wait and fish the following Monday or Tuesday. I hate having to park my trailer and walk back to a lake, don't count Rainy River as an opening, and there you need to bring a bike to ride back to the landing you have to park so far away shocked.gif

I can sense stirring excitement in the open water forum! laugh.gif

Probably Forest Lake, Bald Eagle, Keller, or perhaps WBL to try out my new TRITON... (jk)... Opps, I meant my new CrappieTom plastics and jigs for pannies.

For the MN opener this year I'll be at Lake Vermillion on the Tower end. This year will be a little different with only two of our long standing group of four being there. Our two other buddies decided to go to Africa to hunt some big buffalo and will be gone the last three weeks of May.

Just took it.... Mississippi River of course.... is there any other bodys of water in MN?..... havent noticed em if there was blush.gifgrin.gif

Opening is always on Kabetogama, out of Ash river.

The great thing about this area is the fact that you can fish with the crowds or fish all by yourself. Depends on what you want to do.

If I go opener (I usually wait til second weekend) it will be on White Bear most likely. If not, I always hit Winnie on second weekend which is my most anticipated getaway of the year. If any of you are on White Bear this year, I'm in a white/tan alumacraft 1750 trophy, please give me a shout.

I interpreted the question not as the opener.. but my first time out.... meaning early April or whenever the ice is out.. I never remember when that happens.

What I'd like to do is hide somewhere along the St. Louis river with field glasses and follow BD110 and Northlander around. They would never recognize me with the new paint job on the boat.

What I will do however is fish my home lake so I can hopefully dial in a few walleyes for the clients that will be comming up later in the week.

Gunflint your welcome in my boat any time. If you want to come down for just a day or something let me know. You dont even need to bring anything, just show up I will play Guide for however long you want to join us.

Gonna get a new boat, so I will have to do some break-in somewhere first, prolly the Alex area. After that, mebbe the Cass/Red area around Mem Day and then to Lac Seul on June 2.

Opener...ah, mebbe. Might try for some crappies. Might fold my dishtowels.

I'll be going out opening weekend. I usually hit a small lake or two in the area that don't receive much fishing pressure, so the stresses of waiting to launch, parking far away or zigzagging in between boats on the water usually isn't a problem.

I just picked up a new to me boat. As soon as the ice is gone I'll be out on my little local lake. Prolly where I'll be come opener also.

I'll be fishing open water walleyes from shore next week.(WI River). The smallies will pick up at the end of april.(Sorry for those not near early season fisheries grin.gif)

I'll be fishing trout streams unless ice out around here comes before april 15. then I'll be throwing flies at panfish.

Trout on the 15th, then to the croix for those early season eyes and saugs. Not to much longernow and I am kicking around the Red Wing tour for a weekend after I get back from hitting the Florida area for some bull gills, slab craps and hopefully as much saltwater action as my arms can take in a week and a half! Yeah baby! The open water itch needs to get scratched! cool.gif

Tunrevir~

My 1st trip out this year just might get me on the Rainy River in the next few weekends. What I would give to hook into that 30" walleye ooo.gif

If that doesn't work out, then it will probably on a local lake buzzin around for crappies/sunfish just to make sure the boat is in order for opener and the rest of the year!

I'm surprised no one else has said this yet, but opener for me will be on Upper Red this year. I'm sure it will be crowded and nuts up there, but as long as you're prepared for it, it should be a blast.

But before the opener there will be the river, Minnetonka, and Lake Erie.

Quote:

What I'd like to do is hide somewhere along the St. Louis river with field glasses and follow BD110 and Northlander around.

I'd be careful about following BD around, he might run you awry (sp)

You may be better off just looking for me Gunflint, Northlander will be in my propwash anyways. blush.gif

I plan on hitting Lake Superior for some hot coho action by the first of April.

I will most likely be on windy, i mean winnie fighting the crowds. Hopfully Red will releive some of the pressure

Ya I figure that way guys will sign to you that your the only #1 out there when you buzz by them anchored in the channel. grin.gif

We all know who leads the way on the river and he drives a Lund not a hole ridden Sabre with a tired Evinrude and lost looking driver and a empty livewell. wink.gifblush.gif He does have a awesome new graph/gps for when he gets lost. shocked.gif

Quote:

We all know who leads the way on the river and he drives a Lund not a hole ridden Sabre with a tired Evinrude and lost looking driver and a empty livewell.
wink.gif

For the record the hull's being welded as we speak and the 200 HPDI is in the mail, still can't do anything about the livewell.