• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How Many Arrows

thewalleyeguy

How many arrows do you guys like to have confused.gif. I have six but I think I would like to have a dozen just in case smirk.gif.

1 doz. is nice. I usually only take 3 to the woods with me, but a bad day of practice can deplenish stocks in a hurry.

Joel

I agree with jnelson. At one point last year I had a dozen, but after a bad day at the range I was down 4 of them. Lose one in the woods on a branch deflection, broke one off in the deer and they are half gone. Do some broadhead practive and slice off a vane or two. Next thing you know I've only got a couple and you don't want to be up north trying to find an archery shop. I usually bring 5 into the woods. 1 for a practice from my stand, 1 with a G5 SGH for any critters I might shoot (the fun arrow), and 3 with broadheads.

I plan on trying to fletch my own arrows this year. Necer done it before, but I want to learn, Then you can buy some shafts and build them as needed rather than run to the shop to buy another half dozen.

I keep six laid aside for hunting, if I traveld to hunt I would make that 12 and if I traveld out of state it would be 2 dozen just to hunt with.

Bad day of practice. Maybe you should buy a bigger target. tongue.gif

Anyway, I buy about 6 at the beginning of each season, or every other, Between the deer stealing them and losing a few of the fletches from practice, I go through 3 or 4 per season. I too carry only 3 in the woods at a time.

I like to have 6 arrows on hand at all times.When I buy arrows,it a dozen at a time which will last me for 5-6 years.I dont pratice as much as I should,but I do take at least two deer a year.Good Luck.

A little bit of this debate on how many arrows also depends on whether you shoot carbons or aluminum. You nick the side of your butt or a tree with aluminum, its done. Carbons will take a lot of abuse and I still feel comfortable putting a broadhead on them and going hunting. In fact, I won't take a brand new arrow and put a broadhead on it, I take one of my newer practice arrows that I know flys straight.

Buy more arrows, they're actually cheap considering how much time you spend practicing and in a tree. Whats your time worth?

In the woods, I will take 3 broadheads and one judo point in my quiver. One broadhead for the kill, one for a finishing shot if needed, and one for a spare.

Last year i had a dozen, now i have 4. Broke a couple, lost a couple, still have the one from the first deer i have ever shot which was this year after 6 years of bowhunting (about time right) and one went to a fox and coon. I am buying a dozen more for this year only bc i am switching arrows. I wont name the brand but they were expensive and i wasn't very happy with them.

Andrew Shae

I used to carry just three into the woods too!! i have six and yes they can go down in a hurry. six last me all summer and all of them get refletched and sliced agian before hunting, but i buy six more beofre hunting and i shoot just enough to make sure they fly straight. i stick to practice arrows then. I used to take three into the woods but on a good day i shot three deer and had 2 more tags 2 more deer in front of me but NO ARROWS!!!!!!!! I have since moved out of that area and now dont see as many deer down this way. i carry four to be sure laugh.gif

if your as good as me you only need 1 arrow to kill a deer

having a Hoyt instead of that mathews would help too cool.gif

-Gun control is a steady hand

Hahahaha

i can only laugh at the hoyt and mathews answer. But ive shot both and i chose the best and heres the hint, it wasn't the hoyt.

Another thing, i dont like having my arrows in my quiver while im shooting, is there anyone else or am i just different?

Andrew Shae

I have a three arrow quiver that I take off and hang on the tree. I can't get used to shooting with a quiver on. Sometimes I wish I had more than three arrows just to be certain I am ok, but I haven't run out yet. Actually, I've never shot two arrows in a day. My cousin did run out of arrows last year. He shot two does and lost one on the gound when his release sliped and plinked it out of the bow. Kinda funny having him tell the story about all the other deer that kept coming out after he was out of arrows. frown.gif

Mathews all the way! grin.gif

It's hard to have too many arrows. I've shot at least two arrows from a stand on several occasions. If you shoot two or more deer in any given year, let alone day, it doesn't take long for a starter set of 6 to start feeling pretty slim.

Last year I got a dozen new arrows & charted them one night, along with a few I had. I think that was somebody's idea from here. My 7 year-old sat & checked them off. "Okay this is arrow #7, it shot good." I had three columns, good, okay, & bad. It helped me know which arrows I wanted to take to the woods on opening day. It also told me which ones to take next as I needed to replace some.

One dozen. I alway buy a dozen arrows to start with, that way you have plenty for practice and for hunting. You'll also save too. grin.gif

I had 3 with me one day last year - missed the same deer twice in about 3 minutes - so I was down to one arrow. Four is good for master hunters such as myself frown.gif