• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lead Core and Crankbaits???????????

iffwalleyes

So I am really interested in what kind of quipment everyone uses for leadcore crank baiting. What kind of reel is it a line counter reel? How much lead core do you run? What types of crank baits do you use any kind way better than the other?

There are many different variables when using leadcore, but I'll give you what I use, most of the time.

For the reel, I use the BPS Gold Cup Linecounter with 10 colors of lead.

The rods vary with situation, I use 10'6" Scheels Rod, 8'6" BPS Walleye Angler Trolling Rod, or a 5' Shorty Rod from Scheels designed by Jim Carroll and Johnnie Candle.

For the leader I use either 10-12lb Fireline or 12lb Berkley Vanish.

Finally, my personal favorites for cranks are Reef Runner Ripshads, #4RS Shad Rap,#5 Shad Raps, or the small Jointed Rapalas.

I don't run lead that often but I use Daiwa Sealines, usually with 3 colors of lead. A nice feature of lead is you can use smaller, shallower running baits and get them down deeper, whereas with a deep diving crankbait you might not need to use lead. The other nice feature of lead is precise depth control, slow down to run deeper, speed up to run shallower.

I USE LEAD CORE ALOT ON THE ST.CROIX. MY SET UP IS A MEDUIM HVY MUSKY 7' WITH A PENN 320 REEL, I USE 28LB. LEAD CORE LINE, THE FULL 100 YARDS FITS NICELY ON THE PENN REEL AND AS FOR A LEADER CONNECTED TO THE LEAD CORE, USUALLY A FIRELINE OR POWER PRO. WITH THIS SET UP I CAN LET OUT 7 OR 8 COLORS AND BANG BOTTOM IN 36FT OF WATER WITH A #5 SHAD RAP OR WALLEY DIVER.

I use Cabelas Depthmaster 8.5' rods matched with The Depthmaster 45 Linecounters. I took the cheap route since I only need leadcore a few times a year.

I use 18 lb Cabelas Leadline. 18 lb lead gives you the smallest diameter to lead ratio.

I second what Corey said with the rod selection. The BPS Walleye Angler signature rods are awesome. I have only used Daiwa and the Depthmaster Gold reels and have worked for me so far.

Corey, if those are you favorite selection of cranks, why do you carry a whole truck load in your boat then? tongue.gif

I've never used lead core. So forgive me, but I'm going to ask a basic question. When would you use lead core apposed to using a bottom bouncer or snap weights?

I run this exact setup on the Croix. Use Wally Divers exclusively.

BPS walleye angler rods are the best ive used for pulling lead. i like the shimano tekota reels but they are a little spendy but they have a awesome drag. you can pretty much use any crank you want to tie on. leadcore is very speed dependent.

Lip Ripper,

Hmmmmm, I thought the questions was just about leadcore and cranks. LOL Yeah I'm a sucker for crankbaits. They're just so dang pretty!!! LOL This is the way I see it. Reef Runner has roughly 50 colors, 5 styles I use, 3 of each, that equals 750.......uh oh don't tell my wife.

i think heiser just likes to haul around alot of stuff to make his boat go slower.

I use Diawa linecounter reels, St. criox rods( 7ft Medium / moderate action), with 18lb line. No matter which line you use they all run the same. 1 color at 1.8mph= 5ft depth for floating raps. I also use deep divers with my lead for more depth. Trolling #5 shad raps in 26ft. I have tried several different line sizes and rods. But for me this is what (I) like. You do need a rod that can handle the wieght of the line. Also the Diawa 47 & 57 reels are great. I can even but 50yds. of 14# fireline on for backing. Yes I have had upto 290 ft of line out. Fishing really deep in the fall.

Fishhead,

I think each presentation has it's times when it is the best. The nice thing about leadcore is you don't have to have any bulk(bottom bouncer,snap weight). The more fumbling around you do when reeling in a fish, the more fish you will lose. Also, I think there are times when a bottom bouncer or snap weight will spook fish.

Lead core's real advantage is when you want to fish higher up off the bottom. It's difficult to know where your snap weight/ bottom bouncer is running if you aren't making bottom contact now and again. I like to run my cranks from 3ft to 6ft off the bottom. With lead core I can do that without a problem. I'm a firm believer the big walleyes do not hug the bottom and you need to fish higher off the bottom. If I am targeting numbers then bottom bouncers are my go to but then I am also trolling a rig not cranks.

If you had to buy a setup from scratch, would you:

• buy several less expensive rods of different lengths to be able to have differnt placements on the boat
  • buy one high quality rod and reel
  • buy several rods with high quality reels?
  • buy several quality rods with regular run of the mill reels?

Basically, what I'm saying is that I have several quality rods/reels for bassin. I have one high quality crankbait rod that I'm not sure would stand up to trolling with leadcore (The high end shimano tsomething series that are graphite / fiberglass combo). So if i were to try to get to trolling with leadcore would that rod take it or should I get a rod designed specifically for leadcore with a line counter reel?

Any recommendations for a rod and reel that would be quality for a good time?

No need to spend alot of money on a lead core rod, in fact in a lot of river towns you can find cheap long fiberglass rods taht are ideal for this type of application.

Cory Frantzick

Ugly Sticks are great for this. Save the money on the rod and buy a big spool baitcaster reel. I use an 8ft Ugly Stick myself. Leadcore by itself just about deadens any lure action so no reason to spend the $$$ for high end rods. And since you have zip for stretch with lead core you want a fiberglass rod anyway.

thats a good point MS. I may think about a Uglystick for that application. 8 foot would be your recommendation? any problem getting a 2 piece so it fits in the truck easier? Any thoughts on a quality reel (penn, shimano etc? line counter, capacity?)

at that length it will be two piece or telescopic, either way you will have a nice setup! Also, Gander Mountain has some nice trolling rods that are priced pretty good.

Cory Frantzick

iffwalleyes, right now there are some pretty good deals on line counters. Check out the salebills for the bigger chain stores. You'll definatly have fun leadcoring !!!

Oh yes I got set up this weekend at Cabela's. I picked up a couple of Cabela's line counters and spooled one up with 5 colors of lead core so I will be set for pretty much any set up. Then I got the other and will be spooling it with mono or power pro to run cabela's reef runner crankbaits in conjuction with the lead core in areas I can fish two rods like out here in ND. Cabelas had the rod set ups at a good price I got a 8.5' setup for $60. They had their reef runner baits all a dollar off.

iffwalleyes,

When were you up at Cabelas's? I was working for Northland Fishing Tackle. Got to meet quite a few guys. The weather made it a touch slower on Saturday but Sunday was nice and busy.

I blew through there Fri night about 6:00 and then again Sun at 5:45 just before closing so I missed you. Cabela's gave me a great deal yesterday. I picked up a Cabela's reel and rod for the sturgeon excusion in April but the two I had picked out weren't a combo but they made it a combo for me. They knocked $20 off the reel and $15 off the rod. That is tough to beat.

If I'm running leadcore I generally run all lines with leadcore, I don't mix some leadcore lines with some power pro or mono lines. Leadcore is so speed dependent that it just seems to make more sense to me to run all leadcore, especially since they're usually smaller baits that run well at slow speeds. Just an fyi

I wondered about that but the salesmen told me when they fish they run one of each. But that doesn't mean much I guess.

iffwalleyes, I agree with other guys go all lead on 1 reel and fireline or propower on the other. 5 colors of leadcore only gets you to about 25ft. and then you'll have to slow down to get deeper. I hope you got the rest of the line. Do alot of trail and error, you can come-up with ways, if you need to get deeper. I have used snap wieghts, but not with leadcore. As listed earlier BUY THE TROLLING BIBLE. It will help!!!!!! smile.gif

The precision trolling guide was part of my purchase. That looks like a great guide.