• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting rust off jigs??

Rost

Question

13 answers to this question

i have in the past used a round wire wheel in a cordless

drill to take minor rust off

don't throw them away give them to neighborhood kids

or friends with kids they can always put a twister tail on and cast for pike....

i have used a brass bristled golf brush for this too. then i would use/coat the hook with a fish atractant.( preferably one that has some type of fish oil in it)this would help, but remember that once they have gotten rusted, they will get rusty very easily now.

I've used CLR with good sucess. Let the jigs or hooks soak overnight and buff off with a fine wire brush.

Don't know if this stuff is still around, or what it would do to the paint, but "Navel Jelly" is a rust remover. I've had pretty good results with it on various things. Not sure where to find it, though. I bought it a long time ago.

my only problem/question when using petroleum products is; does this stuff leave a film on the lure that the fish could smell or taste?

why not use WD-40 there is fish oil in it so i dont think it would be that big of a problem if there was some residue on it afterwards.

They have all kinds of different variations of "navel jelly" available. I even saw it at wall-mart the other night. you can find it at just about any parts store also. Possibly even home improvement stores as well. Not a bad idea, but doesn't that leave a black hard film after it is done converting the rust?

Anyone every dry a dremmel with the small wire wheel attatchment?

Anyone ever try BUYING NEW ONES! Come on you guys, you need to support the sponsors here! tongue.gif All kidding aside, I've never taken the time to salvage a jig due with rust on the hook. If they get that bad I grab another one and dispose of it later. Although I try not to put them away in a box when they're wet either, that's when you'll get the rust... I think you'll be compromising the hook strength if you sand or wire wheel them down. Not to mention if they already have rusted once they will do so more easily a second time.

Good luck!

Tackleman

I agree with just buying new jigs...however, it's kind of hard just to dump 200+ slightly rusted jigs in the can.

I sorted through them last night and disposed a bunch.

I'd pitch them too. It's too bad but in the long run it may be cheaper. What you spend on chemicals and time it may be cheaper just to buy new.

Save the jigs and this summer you can turn them into the State group that collects lead and get a few new ones and avoid polluting. I think Gander Mountain is where they show up each May and June.

Finally, it is not worth you health. Poke yourself with one of those rusty jigs and you will have major problems. On the low side, you may need a shot, on the bad side you can get real sick. Friend of mine in the medical business told me that last year.

Get new ones. I tried salvaging some rusty ice fishing jigs and broke off 4 fish before I did. Not worth it. The next fish might be the big one and it will most likely get away.

what about the chemicals/residue/bad taste, it's just not worth missing a few fish. IMO HTB