• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

how much snow?

BIG DIESEL

Planning on leaving tomorrow and wondering how much snow and how travel is going? We are bringing 2 trucks. can we move around ok off of the roads? or should we bring a sled or 2?

BD,

I would highly suggest that you bring sleds if you can get them.

are we looking at like 12" of snow? lots of drifting? we can possibly get some sleds, just a matter of finding a trailer by tomorrow around noon and heading up.

any help on amount of snow would be great. our trucks are 4wheel drive but 12" of snow might not matter if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive....

Well there was enough to bury my truck to the hubs yesterday. (Three quarter ton Chev 4wd diesel)

And I was only one truck length off the plowed road.

AND I was following an old set of tracks to boot.

Wasn't even trying to go cross country; was just trying to park off-of-the-plowed-road. Pulled in and backed out about 6 feet, then 12 feet, then 18 feet, then 24 feet (which was where I planned to park) but then I was high centered and Russ pulled me out with a snap strap.

The entire lake is covered with knee-deep snow. The top half is soft and the bottom half is crusted over. You'll break through the crust with your tires, but hang up on it with your frame/axles/differentials.

Snowmachines and extensions:

if ya have 'em or have access to 'em, BRING 'EM ! ! !

I have a new 4 wheeler all chained up. Do you think I would have any problems moving around this weekend?

I think you would be fine, but I have not been up for a while so wait and see what others say and good luck up there! cool.gif

You might not believe it but it has been raining fairly hard for the past 2 hours. No snow all day.

Bring sleds, the snow is deep. We are keeping a pull truck close if we try to go cross country with the V-Plows. We can not back up until the 3rd pass because of the banks falling back in on us. Everything is straight ahead and hope we can loop back around to a road. Turning around is imposible. Not only the deep snow but the slush is real nasty and spreading fast. I plowed through places today where the slush was over a foot deep with another foot of snow on top of that.

eek thats not pretty! I hope it gets better by next week! smirk.gif

Jimmy

Chains just ain't gonna cut muster.

If ya wanna drive the ATV off the plowed road, ya gonna need a set of Kimpex or Mattracks on it.

So how does this work? Can you park on the side of the plowed road and pull a portable in 20 -30 yards to set up? I relalize if it is snowing I want to get the truck out of your way to keep it plowed. And I know you don't want us setting up to close to the road cause the water will seep out on to the road especially with heavy snow pushing on the ice. But I may be going out alone. I'll bring a shovel and I have a 4X4 Bronco but still what's the best plan?

Just got back from Red. Never ice fished in a 4 hour down pour before. Fishing was pretty slow 10 crappies in 3 days out of Hillmans. Went out of sunny beach one day,only walleyes. Portable are fairly waterproof but had to do some reengineering of support poles to get the water to drain properly. Roads were in tough shape comming off last night but I,m sure Kelly and Buddy put in the time to make them right again as for as going off roading I would say forget it after the rain there is nothing but slush 12"-14". we had a tough time before the rain beating up the 4x4 pickup. we had Toyota,Ford Chevy and GMC and all were pulled or dug out at least twice.