• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help choosing gun safe

zent

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on gun safes. I have never had one and have questions on how to keep the humidity level low and what type of lock mechanisim is best. Any info you can share would be great. Thanks in advance. Zent

Don't mess around with dessicants. get a golden-rod and do it right the first time. Go see the guy that owns the safe-store on 81. i think his name is John. it's all the guy does. He knows his stuff better than anyone. He's pretty nice guy to.

Last I heard John didn't work there any more, but mention his name and they will give you a good price.

I would add to get the highest fire rating you can aford to get.

One of the guys I work with is a retired Blaine firefighter, he said they never went to a fire where the safes contents survived un harmed.

Most of the time everything was melted or scorched, only once did they open a safe to find just water damaged papers.

He caims a house fire with the right fuel can burn as hot as 1800 to 2100 degrees with in a few minutes, most safes are only rated to 1200 or 1500 degreees.

Benny

I too am in the market for a gun safe. I think I'll be going with a large cheaper model myself after the advice of a buddy who had a house fire and a gun safe that didn't make it. Went something like this:

Q - What kind of guns do you have?

A - Browning this, winchester that, etc.

Q - If you own replaceable factory guns, then why would you pay 2, 3, or 4 times the cost of a "stack-on" simply for a fire rating you won't use?

He had a good point. All the guns I own are readily replaceable. None of them are family heirlooms (yet), and insurance money would cover their replacement.

If you have some old antique guns or ammo, and have the money to spend, I'd look into the highest fire rated safes possible.

The documents/paper will be lost no matter what IMO.

I think I'm going to be lag-bolting mine to studs as well. That way, a would-be theif couldn't take the whole safe away. Unless they could get the thing open, and unscrew a dozen lags. By that time, hopefully they would've given up, or someone would be home.

Joel

My considerations were more general and safety minded. I share the same opinions as jnelson. My safe protects my guns from everyone else. Yes get the right product to prevent corrosion but as far as fire (I'm a firefighter too) and water damage, few survive well.

I bought one that could be lagged in the rear and to the floor (in the closet) and it has a top cabinet for ammo and a seperate door and key for the actual firearms. This is great for dealing with kids. The ammo cabinet is higher and requires a second key to access.

John owns the shop. He's moved it a few miles north to Brooklyn Park.

I got an American Security. I keep it in the basement.

Here's a tip. KEEP THEM UP OFF THE FLOOR. I built a pedestal for mine. I don't care how dry your basement is; one day it's gonna get wet! And on a concrete floor, you'll get wild temperature swings, condensing and rusting the bottom.

I am also considering a safe of some type what is the best possible location in a home to place it i:e under a stair well, 1st floor, 2nd floor, closet, basement. Also will a floors truss system support the load without shoring from beneath

Like is being said, safes wont protect against fire. Just get the biggest one for your budget and put it somewhere fire might not get to it. Make sure its heavy and put it in a moisture free area.

Rolly

Thanks to all who posted with info, I bought a safe that will hold all of my guns and enough room to add to my collection. I will be building a platform to set it on and will go with the electric heater to guard against condensation. I don't have any collector guns, just over the counter run of the mill. Some have a lot of sentimental value and would hate to lose them. Thanks again. Zent