• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help with choosing a release

island guy

I broke my wrist in Oct. The wrist I wear my release. It is now healed but because of the severity of the break it is very weak. I used to be able to shoot a couple dozen arrows with no problem. Now it is hard to do just a few. I've tried the Winn c-10 with mixed results. I think if I had a release that was more of a glove type where I pull more with my forearm and shoulder I would be better off. My Dr. thinks it may be a permanent thing. That bums me out. He would do the paper work for a crossbow permit for hunting but I don't want to give up my bow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Go to a couple of pro shops and give them all a try. You may find a style of release to your liking. Another thing crank your bow down to it's lowest setting and start building from there, you will be able to shoot longer with less chance of starting bad habits. My Brother had eye problems a few years back and he taught himself to shoot left handed. He does as well as I do now. I feel for you but if you look at it as just a set back you will over come it.

WS

I've set my bow down as far as I can. It's a mathews with a 60-70lb range. I'm wishing now I would of gotten 50-60. Too late now. Took me a long time to save the coins for this one. I'll just keep plugging away. The bone healed well, there is just nerve damage that causes pain in the hand and wrist joint. I thought if I could take pressure off the wrist I would be better off. I'll keep experimenting.

Style of release sounds less crucial compared to how you are drawing the string. If you could come up with something that could put the rear pressure point around your elbow, in other words a really long release strap system, you might get some of the pressure off your wrist until it heals. Just a thought.

Get one without velcro, that's easily adjustable, and that you can tuck into your sleeve when not using it.

Rolly

I'm not sure on your drawing technique, but one of the bad habits I had early on is that even using a release I was trying to pull back with my hand doing the pulling on the "shaft" of the release. This left the strap around my wrist very slack.

Someone showed me how to pull back with my hand resting and letting my back and shoulder do the pulling and the bones of my arm and wrist bearing the load. This reduced the amount of stress put on my hand and wrist.

I use a Tru-fire Hurricane buckle. You may be able to look into people who make releases that strap behind the elbow. I've seen these before on handicapped people may not have a hand or use an arm prosthesis.

I share your pain! I broke my wrist 2 years ago in early Sept. The difference was that it was the arm I hold the bow with. It was tender for quite a while after they removed the pins but I was able to take a nice doe 14 weeks after I broke it. I had to turn the weight of my bow down to 52 lbs. and my wrist was still very weak.

I use a winn release and I don't think you can find a release that requires less hand and lower arm strength then a winn release.

Hang in there and keep up with the therapy. Next season you will be surprised at how much better your wrist is. One year later I've got my bow cranked back to 62 lbs. and thats good enough for me.

Nels