• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Keepers and Weepers

While waiting to clean our catch from Saturday I couldn't help but notice how small some of the fish were that some fisherman were keeping. No kidding there were at least a dozen or more 5-6 inch perch and alot 7 & 8 inch perch being cleaned. Don't get me wrong at least they were cleaning them and they weren't going to waste but after cooking there can't be much left for eating. Also when you drive hundreds of miles to fish you want to bring something home with you. I realize all that but I can't help but wonder how many people fish like this and does this effect a lake like Winnibigoshish in a positive or negitive way as far as future years to come? I have kept a few 8 inch perch only if they are dead or won't go back down the hole but given enough time most smaller fish will swim back down if you real them up slow enough. A limit (20) 9-12 perch is a pretty good bunch of fish enough for a few hungry people. It would be nice to know how many other fisherman release the smaller perch and keep only the nicer ones. Limit amount 40 in possession is plenty unless your haveing a fish fry for the neighborhood. Any comments?

Addict- I am with you on what size to keep. It really doesn't pay when they are smaller. I was just up to Winnie over the weekend of 3/24. I think between three of us we kept 6 perch over the weekend. The opportunity was there for more but we didn't keep anything under 9". So for us it was a pretty bad overall trip coming over from 3 1/2 hours away in WI. But with all the good trips that I have had I am still ahead. The perch are just trying even things out. That's why I was asking earlier about how things are going with the bite. My group is heading back up next weekend 3/17-19. Figured the warmer weather might be starting to trigger something. The march run should be right around the corner.

If they lay on top of the hole at all they are dead anyway. If you look in their mouth and the bladder is blown they are as good as dead. People that sort thru everything they catch only to keep 10-12 inchers hurt the lake way more than people that keep some of the smaller perch.

I carry a fizzer with me when I fish water deeper than 20 feet. I fizz the small ones I want to release if I bring them up too fast. To prevent this reel slower, alot slower if you realize it's a small one. To get a fizzer, stop by a veterinarian office and ask for a fizzing needle. They'll either look at you funny shocked.gifor they'll know that your a fishnutt crazy.gif. Anyway it's a needle like a basketball inflater and to work it all you have to do is pierce the skin about 3/4" in front of the anus, off to the side a little and slide towards their bladder. It doesn't work if the bladder is in their mouth. Hold the fish upside down under the water and you'll see bubbles come out. Thay should be good to go after a few seconds. Try fishing the edge of a hump (20-25') and down the dropoff. That's where you'll find the bigger ones, not in 5-15'

Good Luck all, save a few for me.

2 NUTTS

Yeah I don't know if people keeping smaller perch will really be much of an impact on the population of a lake (especially one the size of winne). From what it sounds it was a little tougher of a weekend there so they probaly drove 4 hours and wanted some fish to take with. There are so many perch It wouldn't be on the top of my worry list.

Lookin for info on Bowstring?? Anybody been there recently...thinkin about going up late march if the ice holds up. Are the perch biting there? Any info much appreciated

Well I have been fishing Winnie or surrounding lakes for over 20 years. The fishery seems to be doing just fine catching and keeping 9-12" perch. I won't deny that we have an occassional small one we have to keep due to the pressure. But I travel to the great state of minnesota to catch jumbo's. If I wanted little perch I would stay home in WI and save myself the money.

If people want to keep smaller ones who am I to tell them they can't. I have just set myself a standard when it comes to the size of the perch. Like I said earlier I have been going up to that area for over 20 years and have been spoiled with the size of the perch over the years. If I have upset people with my statements I apologize. I thought this was a discussion board. Not a board for someone to try to paint a black X on someone else.

Thought of the Day......

Keep what makes you happy!

Chadbeirl....I'm from Medford....been fishin the great lakes around Grand Rapids for 25+ years as well...lookin to go back this late March if the ice holds...Good luck to you

I've kept some pretty small ones over the years also, mainly 'cause I didn't want to leave them for dead on the ice. You just need a good sharp fillet knife and a steady hand. I don't believe it hurts a fishery like Winnie to take some small ones, especially if they were going to die anyway. As for pulling 'em up slow.... I try but when fishing deep I still pull 'em too fast...just can't control my excitement.

jacheesehead- I don't think that you can avoid killing a few of the small ones. I think it's the first 10 feet coming up that puts the crimp on them. We have the same problem fishing Lake Trout on Lake Superior. When the smaller ones are 180' down there isn't much fight to them after the first 20-25' coming up. The pressure is just to much for them to handle I guess.

chadbeirl. Ive had pretty good luck in one spot for the past 5 weeks I won't be up that weekend but if you send me an email I'll give you a gps cord to try I haven't had a problem getting a limit of of at least 9 inch perch except last sunday lots of 8 inchers a friend of mine was out came back down from red lake so he took home 20 8 inchers on sunday.With a couple of 9 inchers mixed in. If your intrested my email address is [email protected]

Good Luck Fishing. grin.gif

hey chadbeirl our group is going up the same weekend but a few of us are going up on wed to try to get an early jump,weve been up there 15 years,and done very well,but well move all over the lake looking for groups of bigger fish.9 inchers are okay but we will always be searching for those bigger 10-12 inchers and usually find them sooner or later,knock on wood.over the years weve found them anywhere from 10ft"hopefully" to over 30 ft.just depends on the weather,but like ive said before if your catching small fish move on,the bigger fish tend to hang with theyre own.there are so many places to look on this lake you never know when you're going to land on that hot hole but youll know as soon as you drop your lure.well be staying at nodaks if your around we usually stop at the lodge after a day of fishing to have a few or mabey quite a few cocktails,maybe we'll see you up there,if not good hunting and dont be afraid to go off the beaten path to find your own fish.my fishing name is louie in case your looking.heres to sun-n-fun at big winnie ST.pats weekend.good luck cool.gifcool.gif

Yep, 4 of us will be up starting friday, I have crusher's # and will stay in touch.