• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rod Making

PikeBayCommanche

Question

Looking for the best book for Rod Making. Looking to start making rods and wondering what the best resource for this would be.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

my suggestion would be to take a class.. Keep your eyes open for a community educaton class. Or see if any of your bait or tackle shops in your area has classes on it.. Its just so much easier to do than it is to read and try. I know that Thorne Bros here in the cities has classes..not sure about Iowa.

There are a couple of books that I like

Rod-Building Guide, Fly - Spinning - Casting - Trolling, by Tom Kirkman (fairly simple and complete)

Start To Finish Fly Rod Building by Ryan Seiders (from Flex Coat). Fairly decent, great outlines of Fly rod handle shapes.

The Complete Book of Tackle Making by Pfeiffer. Has a good section on rod building.

You should also look at www.rodbuilding.org for information on specific techniques. Some of the rod building supply cataloges have some usefull information (like Mudhole). If you're in the Twin Cities, Thorne Brothers runs classes periodically.

There are some basic rod building videos that are fairly usefull for seeing how to do things.

i second tom kirkmans book

and rodbuilders org