• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portable storage answer

picksbigwagon

Question

I know the season is not over for some of you, but for me it is mad.gif..........So, I saw this heavy cargo lift system at menards, so I purchased one ($125) and installed it yesterday. The maximum amount of weight it will handle is 250 pounds, but I have only put my voyager on it, so I only have about 170 pounds on it right now.....

Took me close to 4 hours by myself to install it, if I would have had an extra set of hands, less than 2 hours. So far, I would say this is a great way to store my ice house both off season and during season....basically it lifts like a basketball hoop does, takes me 1 minute to raise it up and less than 20 seconds to lower it.....I can slide it right into my truck or back on the platform.

fulllift.jpg

lift.jpg

winding.jpg

24 answers to this question

Very nice job man. Now that will clear up some extra floor space for ya.

Well all be darn that is pretty slick. I might have to look into that for my otter for the off season that is really neat.

AWESOME idea! I've seen similar homemade contraptions and wanted to try it, but could never figure out the whole pulley system. I would much rather spend a few bucks and get something like this - Thanks for the heads-up!

Couple questions - How does this raise and lower? Some sort of crank? It looks like one end of the unit has something that turns and rolls up the cables. You said it works like a basketball hoop...

Next, what is the measurement of the platform?

Thanks so much for your help - can't wait to try this. grin.gif

Yeah, I am sorry, I mentioned it raised and lowered like a basketball hoop, I am PE teacher and that meant something to me, yes is does raise and lower with a crank arm that is not permanently attached to the mechanism.... the platform is 4'by 4', so part of my ice house hangs over the edge, I might get a sheet of plywood and cut it to size for my ice house but I loaded all the heavy ice fishing stuff in the middle so the majority of the weight was inside of 4 feet.

I ahve been very pleased with it so far, everything has been working great, I have raised and lowered it every night this week when I get home from work...

Follow the directions, think about where you want to crank it up from, and make sure you double check the cable clamps, most of mine were loose, and I had to crank down on them....

OK - I coach BB so I kind of figured that was what you meant, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for answering my questions. Again, this is really cool!

Quote:

I ahve been very pleased with it so far, everything has been working great, I have raised and lowered it every night this week when I get home from work...

Funny how that works. When I "rig" something up that works pretty slick, or buy a new toy (Like the Lowrance Ice Machine), I just cant help myself fiddlin with it...at least that's what the Wife says. Looks like a good one.

That is way cool grin.gif, last fall I did something similar with a game hoist (small block/tackle) for a clam 6800 and I thought that deal was cool but this is way better, does it crank the load right up to the ceiling?

Very nice!

I use a similar storage system but I just built the hangers out of 5/4 wood and L-shaped shelf brackets,

I have to lift my houses up by hand, but it works great to save room and to keep mice and squirrels out of them during storage! laugh.gif

Cliff

Yeah, it cranks right up to the ceiling. I'm 6'7", 9' ceiling in my garage, and I can stand under it when it cranked up....It is not tight to the ceiling, but within 5 inches....no lifting by hand, which is nice since I usually use my voyager as a solo unit until my sons get older (3 and 5 yrs. old)

I started a simular post on this topic a few weeks ago and you picks really help out. I've seen this system before but have discounted it as it looked too wimpy. I've tried doing my own but have found that are some real challanges to getting it right and why re-invent the wheel.

My question is will the platform crank down to the floor? If so, I'll have one by tomorrow morning!

I have 9 foot ceilings in the garage and it drops to about 20" from the floor I think so you 8 foot ceilings would be okay, the package says how low it goes, I forget

Picksbigwagon:

Do you recall the name of the storage system? I cant seem to find it at my local Menards or home improvement center.

Thanks.

It's called Racor garage organizer. They have some on {I hope I can say it} ebay

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at getting one of these. It will be much easier than what I'm currently doing.

believe it or not but you can also get one of these units at the Monticello Walmart for $99 I got mine yesterday, put it up by myself and hasn't fallen out of the sky yet!

It could use longer cable to reach to the floor but I don't think I'll modify it quite yet

Back to the top Darren, just for you......just be mindful of where you ,mount the lowering and raising system, I wished mine was turned 90 degrees to make access easier

Thanks Tom!

If you can stand under it on a 9' ceiling, I'm guessing I'd be able to drive under it with a mid size SUV?

Would you trust it to stay up there smile.gif

hasn't moved in two years, I store a voyager and all the stuff for ice fishing in it, including the canvas and poles for my solo otter house

I have this same system in my garage. With my Otter lodge on it I can park a full size truck or SUV under it with room to spare.