• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We deer hunt west of the Junction...my boys and I were thining about doing a fishing trip up there this spring. What is the Bear River by Samuualsons Park like?

Any other lakes to hit up?

I rerally do not know anything about the lakes up there...Thistledew, etc...

MN-Muskie ~

First off, Samuelson Park isn't located on the Bear River. It is the Littlefork River. Early spring, before the Minnesota fishing season opens, it is good for fishing suckers off shore. Fish the other side of the river and you stand a good chance of catching suckers and walleyes.

The Littlefork has good muskie, smallmouth, and walleye fishing. However, everything depends on the condition of the river (high/low water, muddy, stable weather, etc.). Great fishing but "she can be a fickle hell-cat I tell ya."

There's a lot of decent lakes nearby, like Thistledew, etc. Too much info to put on here. Check out the DNR website and "Lake Finder".

Thanks Greg...see I told you I do not know much about the waters up there blush.gif

Is the river any good for pike?

My boys and I like to catch an release pike...any suggestions. I deer hunt around Thistledew and Little Dew...never been on the lakes.

We kind of like to find the little ponds back in the woods...any help would be appreciated.

Our deer camp is right west of the Junction too. We must be pretty close. I've fishing the Little Fork a lot and seem to catch a pike every time out, but not enough to call it good pike fishing. If you just want plenty of fish for your boys, try Buck Lake just a bit south of the Junction. The other suggestion I have is the Big Fork River Just west of you. There's a camp ground north of Effie you can put in. Motor up an hour and it'll take you about 4 hours to float back down, or you can do the 2 car routine. I do it in a sport canoe with a 3 horse. We fish for muskies with small baits and often catch or at least raise a dozen or more. They're all small, usually under 30 inches but it's fun and an adventure when you take boys along. A set of sneakers or hip boots depending on the temperature isn't a bad thing to bring along either.

That sounds exactly like the "adventure" the boys and I are after. We bring our Deer Camp Bus up and my old 16 foot lund. Spend 5-6 days just expoloring.

Our camp is west of the Junction, right after you go past the Thistledew cut across road...there is a gravel that boes to the south...go one mile and it curves ot the west again...the road to our camp is right there.

Can the Little Fork handle a 16 foot lund...How big is Buck Lake?

Mn-Muskie ~

Contact me prior to your trip or when your up here and I will try to help you out. I grew up on Buck Lake and have fished just about all the water around here. Guided this area for almost 20 years.

Listen to Greg. He knows more about the area than anyone else. Our camp is 7 miles up Holstrum Spur. We probably pass each on the highway from time to time....

Greg...thanks man...with my daughter graduating and all the graduations...we have been having a hard time finding a trip...now the boys are excited!!!

I will be calling you...I am going to owe you one.