• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coyote guns

FrontenacPike

I'm looking to get into coyote hunting and I'm looking to buy a gun. I've asked a couple guys and some say a 22/250 and others swear by their .223's. I'm looking to spend under $700 for a new gun with scope, any suggestions on a gun and scope to buy.

You might want to consider a .243 after looking at ballistics.

I just bought a Savage 10series last fall and I'm very happy with it. If you add a Nikon 4.5x14-40 with side parallax at $ 280 and you have a great combo for less than $ 700.00.

I talked to a local gun shop (very known in this area) and they suggested it. I don't have the Nikon scope, I found a good deal on a Simmons 6x20-50 and really love it, and saved me $ 150

There are too many brand s out there, try to study ballistics and brands a little, I did it same way thanks to the good 'ole internet.

I think the .243 is more than you need for coyotes, but it isn't way overkill... The advantage I guess that it has is it can be used for some bigger animals even up to a whitetail if you want to and don't have access to more guns (or even just need a backup weapon).

I personally have a Ruger Stainless All-Weather in .223 and that's my varmint weapon. Its a good shooter and can handle a yote no problem. 22-250 is a better shell, but its much more expensive to shoot. Probably not a big deal for yotes, but if you ever go prairie dog hunting you will notice the increased costs in a big way.

I have a .17 Remington (center fire) and .223 and .220 swift. I use my 223. or the 17. Even my .220 swift is a pretty hot load for coyotes. Anything bigger in my opinion is too big if your trying to save fur. I have not tried the .204 but I would sure give it a look too. I have Rugers & Remingtons in these calibers, but there are several good manufacturers.

I would suggest looking at a new Savage with the Accu-trigger for your budget. They're pretty accurate out of the box. Top it off with a Burris Fullfield II around a 3x9-40 or a 4x12-40 scope. These scopes are a great value for quality since light transparency is a pretty bid deal with coyote hunting at dawn and dusk. The package should be around $610-$700 depending on which scope and stock combo you purchase. Good luck!

the tikka 223 light SS is a sweet little gun. I have one and it is a tack driver. Action is nice, and really accurate. Fairly inexpensive also.

Valv where did you go on the net to see some of these balistic results.

Realisticly how far of a shot is a .243 capable of making?

Quote:

Valv where did you go on the net to see some of these balistic results.

Realisticly how far of a shot is a .243 capable of making?

Only as far as the guy pulling the trigger is capable of shooting...

For me I like my .223 Remington VLS. It's been a nice shooting rifle. It will reach out and touch them coyotes without a problem. I've rolled two coyotes in the last two years, the first was at a distance of 421 yards, the second was a good 450 yards. The .223 is fun to shoot and affordable to boot. I will say though that a .243 would be nice and is certainly on my wish list as I'd like a rifle that I could also use for open shooting during deer season.

JEV

Here's a link to a Ballistics chart. Keep in mind that ballastics are important, but not as important as all other factors such as the shooter, intended target, quality of manufacturer's product & accuracy, price of gun and ammunition and other factors. In other words you wouldn't buy a Toyota Corolla to race it, and wouldnt probably by a Ferrari to commute through town to work.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-cartridges-ballistics.html

I actually used Winchester, Hornady, or Remington web sites where they have all their ammo listed with different grains.

Funny to look at GunnersDen.com a 460 weatherby has more Energy at 200yards than my .243 at muzzle....geeez

Anyway I use Win Ballistic Silvertip 55gr and Hornady 58gr.

I would like too to get a .223, in fact I am looking for a good deal on an AR 15, but haven't got one yet.

Quote:

Keep in mind that ballistics are important, but not as important as all other factors such as the shooter

You are darn right, I can guarantee THIS shooter cannot keep up with the ballistics.... grin.gif

I'd go with a .223. Its more then enough gun to kill a coyote and cheap to shoot.

I'd also look at the Savage "package" rifles. You can get a full package for around $450 and be shooting the same day.

If you feel you need to upgrade the scope because you are missing too many coyotes then upgrade to a better scope then.

I shoot a ruger .223, and I would never change guns. The gun is very accurate at any range, flat shooting, and cheap to shoot. It still leaves a good hole in the fur, especially on fox.

Thanks everyone who added input on this topic. Last night while I was at the Bar i got to talking to one of my buddies about the same topic. He personally has a Savage .223 and loves it. He went on to tell me that there is a gun show comming up near the end of march and we are probably gonna head there to check out all the guns everyone on this page was talking about. Once again thanks everyone who wrote back!!!!

To get an idea on ballistics, visit all brands on ammo web sites, and order their printed catalog.

I just got in the mail Winchester, Remington, and Hornady (very nice) and I can check every style and weight bullet out there and decide which one to buy and shoot.

Where is the guns show going to be, I am going to check it out.

Savage stainless/synthetic varmiter .223 accu trigger Leupold Vari-x III. Accurate. Cant say Ive shot many coyotes with it though. Lots of hunting pressure and not much time to hunt. Fun target shooter, maybe someday prairie dogs.

don't know how much you are looking to spend, but I bought an olympic arms K-8 ar 15 last fall and love it.....very tight groups at 100 yards..........I posted pictures on another topic here in this forum, I think it's under the good day for coyotes topic

i just got a savage model 12 in 204 with the accutrigger topped with leupold 4-12. gun 430 and scope 220. the best gun that i have. right out of the box shot great. havnt got a coyote with it, but fox at 300yds dime size hole. couple raccoons, 25 yds huge hole, 100 yds nothing. same with jackrabbits no holes in those. box of 50 shells is 32 bucks at cableas.

I didn't ask any specifics about the show. I'll probably be talking to him this weekend I'll find out more details. I gotta just remember to ask him if it is open to the public or dealers only. I'll fill you all in on Monday if I talk to him.

I shoot a Remington 700 in 22-250 topped with a 4x16x44 Burris. i had it for about 4 years now but never shot any fox or coyotes yet. The best group i got was 3/8 inch at 100 yards with handloads so cant complain on accuracy. A 223 is cheaper to shoot. Hope you find what you like and have shooting! Good Luck Brian

AR15001.jpg

I'll second the Oly Arms,unbeatable for follow up shots and very accurate.

Cast and Blast, that is awesome....gotta love the fast follow ups with a scope that doesn't move......always keep the clip full though. I found that out the hard way this fall

The upper is an Olympic Arms with a 20" fluted s/s bull barrel 1:10 twist and built in compensator.The lower is a DPMS Panther Arms with a two stage trigger.Hogue hand grip and forearm with an Ace stock.Harris bi-pod and a Leupold 4x10x50 with Armalite riser.My first season hunting with it and really enjoy it so far.The compensator addition on an already low recoil gun is a hoot to shoot.Plan on doing a bunch of target practise this summer to become fully accustomed to it.Had Mike Minley (spelling?)at Dedicated Technologies in Bemidji build it for me,a very knowledgable guy on the AR's.

I bought my K-8 from Mike too, had him do a trigger job on it, very light crisp break on it......I might send it back for the fluting though.....

Cast just out of currosity how much did you spend total. I love it, and I'm kinda scared to find out, limited budget if you know what I mean.

i'll take a stab at the price and guess probably $1850 for the gun and $250 for the scope? how close am i???? id say well worth whatever a guy pays for it because those custom AR's shoot rings around stock ar's. you definetely get what you pay for!!!! cant wait to get my les baer custom!!!

I paid about 700 for my Olympic arms K-8 and another 200 for the burris fullfield 3-9x40....here is the link to my post on another topic here and the run down on it.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB66&Number=720694&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2

Thanks for the link, Still hoping Cast gives me a total price, I'm really currious.

I've got about 1700 bucks into it,by far the most spendy gun I've owned.Have actually only bought 3 new guns in my life and two of them were for the kids,usually settled for a good deal or good enough gun in the past.I'll be replacing the scope in the future,although Leuopold makes fine optics they don't have the eye releif suited for an AR something I wasn't aware of before purchasing it.Now I see they are building the lowers out of carbon composites which are supposedly lighter and stronger.Maybe this won't be the one and only build of a lifetime LOL! A buddy of mine who shot matches in the Marines has a Bushmaster and convinced me of the accuracy with these guns.I've got a case of rounds ordered and am looking forward to shooting with him at many different distances.

• 2 weeks later...

I've often thought about getting into predator hunting. I used to trap fox and coon, so if I did, I'd be inclined to save the pelts. That .204 Ruger round....does anyone think it's superior to the .17 Rem??? I've heard the .17 doesn't even leave an exit hole most of the time.