• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Missed it by that much

Many years ago I got into some 12" sunfish. Since then the largest have been 10". However, this year I have yet to hit the 10"ers. Today I came close with a 9 3/4" I tried to pinch the tail the best I could to get it the magic 10 mark. I found the sunfish and some very nice 10-11" jumbo perch in 5-7 feet of water. The fish did not seem super agressive and the best approach was a using a number 4 firetiger jigging demon. This approach led to 3 pike being caught as well with the 4th one taking my spoon.

Anyway, should have 2 plus weeks to get another shot at a 10-11" bull sunfish to close out the ice season.

Cant tell you how many times I've tried to make a 9 3/4 gill by squeezing that tail and measuring it a 2-3 times. blush.gif Its a tough mark to hit! I hit that mark very few times 4-5 max waiting for that 11 plus for the wall.

What lake you fishin grin.gifgrin.gif

Did you ever make it out to Waverly this year? I Picked up a few eyes this year.

Years ago my dads neighbor walked over and showed us a sunfish that weighed in at 1lb 14oz.he caught it out of artichoke in far west minn.we have managed many 10's out of big stone but nothing bigger. sorry I cant remember the length but you couldnt see your hand belly to chest it has been mounted so there is proof!!It is like any other trophy you never no when you'll get one!!

oil painter,

that is a nice fish I'd say 11-12in. Fished artichoke many times and don't think I've ever caught a gill out there.

Thats still a nice gill, especially for the metro. Heck Im happy when I hit fish over 8.5" in the metro.

Hey there Pike,

Where can a guy pick up jigging demons? I read alot about them, do not have any....

Thanks!

Jug

Quote:

Where can a guy pick up jigging demons?

The Jigging Demon is made by Custom Jigs & Spins. Any place that sells CJ&S products should have them. I was just in the Forest Lake Gander Mountain and they still had a bunch of Jigging Demons on the shelf. That should be a pretty quick trip for you.

Jug, I have really become a big fan of all custom jigs and spins products. Gander in Maplewood still has a few of them left in the number 4. The firetiger and gold are by far my favorite. I do not know what exactly it is about this bait that triggers the fish but I have never been disappointed with these. I other one that is similiar but different profile is the Go Devil. My favorite for the Go devil is firetiger and the glow red. This was my favorite until this year when they introduced the jigging demon.

What impressed me this weekend is some bull sunfish came in and just spanked the jigging demons. I was not targeting pike at all and only had waxies on my spoon. However, they could not resist and just came in clubbed me. Like I said the final one did me in and stole my favorite number 4 firetiger.

I would guess the thorn Brothers, Fleet, and Joes would have them as well but many are clearing out the shelves for the summer gear.

Thanks guys! I am hoping that I will possibly see you out one last time here before Spring Pike...

And a big by the way for you guys: Gander in Fridley is moving to Blaine and is selling everything 30-60% off......just so happens they have a good selection of CJS jigs there. I was shocked. So I bought MANY jigs and spinners, $18 lighter was all....

take care!

Jug

That Iowa made Tackle is always been the best!

You can also go to ther website and order direct. You may also find some other good stuff. I ordered some mega orange glow demons from them early ice. I believe those can only be ordered online and you wont find the mega orange glow demon at any store. They also have a good cataloge. They make great products....surprising since from iowa....JUST KIDDING!! Dont anyone take offense to that grin.gif