• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can anyone tell me any general information about Hill Lake? My sister has a lake lot there and I have visited a few times but I have always pulled the 4-wheelers up instead of the boat and made it an atv trip. This summer her and her husband have invited my family and I to park my fish house on the lot so I can come up more and have a place to stay. Anyway since my sister and her hubby are not fisherpeople they don't know anything about the lake as far as fish goes. Just wondering what is in there? Is there a decent spring crappie bite? Walleyes or northerns at all? Bass? Is it a sunnie lake? I have no clue. Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I believe its primarily a walleye lake. the lake has little structure, but good points and inside turns. I have not heard about any good panfishing there. I have been planning on fishing the lake, for walleyes, but did not make it this year.

they have a nice bunch of crappies there and they do well in the winter with them. its a deeper clearer lake not the easiest to fish but it can be pretty decent for walleye and nice northern too

Jason

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking forward to spending some time there this summer.

I know that in the summer, in the evenings you can just pound the crappies along the deep edges of the weedlines, anywhere from casting into the weeds to about 18 feet of water. I have always did this south of the blue moon resort. The key is a real slow presentation, and I have never needed live bait... as far as in the winter, where do they fish these crappies? I have never been up there in the winter, but might make a late ice trip... I am not asking for gps coordinates, but is there a specific bay or shoreline that is better then others? Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

The crappies are decent, you could clean them if you wanted.... just use a small white twister and almost vertical jig it moving slowly in about 16 feet of water.... works the best right as the sun hits the tops of the trees to almost dark.

the biggest crappies I ever caught in my youth were on that lake. We we on a dock and were casting crappie jigs (the fly-type) out from the dock (on the northern most shore) and caught pounders, one after another. I recall it was in the evening as well. My uncle used to fish that lake all the time for walleye's and it seemed like he always caught fish. For what it's worth...

• 3 weeks later...

Are you talking about the one just off 169 by Taconite?

I was talking about the one in Hill City.... It's the only Hill Lake I know of... Now I know there's another up there.

Yup I was talking the one in Hill City. Does anyone know of a good way to catch those crafty Walleyes in the heat of the summer? I have had some luck casting crank baits right onto the edge of the weedlines in the early morning/evening situations. Is there any better way to do this? Anyone have any info? If you don't want to share, I understand.... thanks guys, Brian-