• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a lake to meet up with another couple in august.We have two young kids they have three. White earth looks like it would be a quiet lake with some walleyes in it. Any ideas on a resort on this lake or would there be a better choice somewhere in the general area for kids age 3-7. Thanks FLOODJET.

Very good walleye lake never fished it in august though. Ceder crest resort is a very good resort dont know the number if you look it up its address is wabun mn.The other resort is called new horizons also very good. Should try the bass fishing out in this lake they are big. Good luck

I personally love too fish White Earth. If your looking for a resort I don't want to get in trouble by advertising but we have stayed at cedar crest in the past during the tournament and it's a nice place and haven't had any problems. Becareful of the residents. I am native and I'm not bashing anyone but I have heard a lot of trouble about vehicle damage at the public access. I always launch from cedar crest and have been for 12 yrs and haven't had a single problem.

In August i have 4 lakes i strictly walleye fish on: White Earth, Pelican, Big Cormorant, and finally Otter Tai so Big Cormorant is a good lake to fish. Only problem with White Earth is you'll catch hopefully a lot of walleyes but they are not that big so don't be expecting to catch the wall mounter. Bring light line 6 lb and a lot of hooks and walking sinkers. Set up lindy rigs of varying lengths with a green bead and some lindy rigs. I have best luck with crawlers and bring a lot of them. Fill them with air to float them up and make sure they keep floating so you don't get hung up.

Find breaks and rocks and go slow and they will be anywhere from 5 feet of water to 50 so start shallow early in the morning work deep and come back up towards dark. And if you want to kick back at the resort grab acouple beverages go down to the dock cast out relax and catch them off the dock. Have caught a lot of them just off the dock kicking back and relaxing after dark. Crawlers have been key when I have fished the lake. In august you have the chance of catching a lot of walleyes the northerns are always active if you get board cast spoons/raps along shore/docks. In august hopefully the smallies in the lake are activly biting.

I'd rather fish the lake in August then in May but it is a morning/night lake. We'll hit the lake an hour before sunlight and will have lunch at the resort by 11 so be expecting to get up early and off the water before noon.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies. catching small walleyes is not a problem when fishing with kids. As long as their catching something their happy. Is there a possibility of catching sunfish during the middle of the day? Could you explain (be careful of the residents), i'm just looking for a friendly resort. I'm looking for a new resort to meet up with this other couple as the one we were staying at got divided up and sold. FLOODJET

He's talking about parking on the public access. Some people get scared because it's a reservation. I use the public access all the time with no problems. But if you stay at resort you wont have to worry about that anyways.

Hey --

I have heard some very creepy things about white earth. Do you think things like trailers, boats trucks and people are safe?

i have never fished for sunnies on the lake and have never caught any on the lake now that I'm thinking of it confused.gif I have caught a lot of rock bass all you have to do is go shallow and you'll find those little buckers...hehehe But depending on the kids ages don't be afraid to target the norts they are fun and they are actually decent sized. When i was fishing just off the dock at Cedar Crest smallest one I got was 4 lbs and it was a blast.

If you going to stay at the resort don't worry about the natives at all...A nice White Earth Trible Cop lives at the entrance to Cedar Crest and for some odd reason they never have any problems. If you have kids they have a swimming beach which is markered off and a deal where the kids can slide off of into the water. Nice sandy beach. Make reservations now before they get packed.

Code-Man

White Earth is a great lake in the summer. The resort that was mentioned is great and if you go there you will have a great time. If you are interested in sunnies, the place to go would be little White Earth. It is connected and easy to get to from the main lake. If you decide to head there this summer, let me know and I will get you on some sunnies. I have had the best luck for Walleyes out there in the lower light periods. There is all kinds of structure on this lake that isn't on any map. Shoot me an e-mail and I can get you more info if you would like. huntnfishmn at yahoo.

I have never fished White Earth or Strawberry. I have to get over there one of these days.

If you wana fish strawberry fish it early in the year. Haven't fished the lake in years but i have always heard of people catching walleyes in the spring before weed growth gets to thick.

Nice thing about White Earth's location Bad Medicine is not too far away and you can get some tasty yummy trout.

Me and a buddy took my two kids (5 and 7) out to White Earth last August, we caught sunnies all day long. We were out there from 11am till 6pm - no potty breaks and no whining - so that tells me we were catching fish. We caught the most in Little W.E. as mentioned -- some with some nice size -- couple nice jumbo perch too, and of course a couple bull heads to boot. Crawlers with slip bobbers was our ticket, didn't get into any walleyes but weren't really trying either. Above mentioned resort is good from all I hear too, so feel safe about renting there.

My wife and I have gone to White Earth Lake and stayed at Cedar Crest the past two summers and are scheduled to go up there again this summer. We have nothing but good things to say about the place. Only downside is it is sometimes a bit hard to get any good tips on local holes to check out.

For sunnies we have found that going into Little White Earth is the place to go. This is the bay in the SouthWest of the lake. Any where there in the vegatation seems to be good. Even caught some Rock Bass there. We hear there are some good sized crappies in there somewhere, but we haven't been able to find them.

Good Luck and have fun. IF you can't find a link to Cedar Crest, send me an email and I will send it to you.

Quote:

you can get some tasty yummy trout.

That's just plain funny I don't care who ya' are.

Tasty yummy trout -- sweet. cool.gif

Minneman --

I don't know. As you might guess I talk to a lot of people and have heard a lot of theft/damage stories. I hope they are rumor.

I did hear something about prkin at a resort and you stuff is safe.

I need to try it.

the stories may be from folks using the public access, Ive never been there. either cedar crest or new horizons are where I put in. you need to get there tho!

My wifes grandfather started coming up the White Earth back in the 40's from Rockford, IL. He fished that lake every year for over 50 years. Heck her whole family aunts, uncles, cousins etc. have all fished this lake for years. We bought a resort and moved to Bemidji, MN in '99 and I haven't fished the lake since the fall of '98 but this year I am planning on going. There are spots on this lake that are just dynamite. Here are a few of my favorite spots and tips....

Clarks Bay is where I've caught several huge Sm Bass! Walleyes are weed and rock orientated. 13 ft. weedlines are the hot spots during the summer. Schemerhorn (sp) is a great weed and white clay area for trolling a crawler right along the weedline 12-15 ft. Weeds in this lake tend to stop growing at the 12 ft. level. Then it changes to the white clay.

Bible camp is a great place to trolling a crawler along shore in 13-18 ft.. It's on the northwest end before the north bay. Horseshoe bar is out on front of the Bible camp. It's a rocky bar shaped like a horseshoe, hence the name. Drift this area from the south end of the rocks starting in 20 ft. and go all the back to about 100 yards from the north shore of Bible camp. Line yourself up with middle of the shoreline from where the point starts on the Bible camp, back to the swimming beach. Start in the middle and keep trying different drifts until you locate walleye. Be sure to throw a marker for reference once walleye is located. They can be stacked up like cord wood.

There are other spots but way to hard to tell you. Numerous rock bars that are excellent. Be prepared to loose set-ups. We used a 3/8 oz egg sinker or the lightest one we could get away with. Use 2 #6 gold short shank hooks tied directly to your line. The bottom hook being at least 6" from the top hook. Then used the smallest split shot ahead of the egg sinker to adjust the length of the leader, 3-4' works best.

Remember the south wind in the summer can be hot, hot, hot. cool.gif The waves can be some big rollers but WOW!!!! The fishing can be awesome. Fall fishing is even better. wink.gif

Bruce

Sounds like what I was looking for, fishing action for the kids. I found their website and I will be emailing them for open dates. Thanks for all the replies. FLOODJET